Hayden 2797 fan clutch

The Captain

Reaction score
Finally had a warm day yesterday to test the 2797 severe duty fan clutch I put on late last year. I had a non thermal clutch previously but after I repaired my A/C it was not up to the task. The non thermal would not pull enough air at times and you could feel the A/C get warmer at certain engine speeds. The 2797 took car of that issue bolted right on and the the pilot hole is 5/8 no bushing needed. Fits on a 68 300 with plenty of clearance. I have never been impressed with 2747 and the 2797 works great.

I replaced mine with the same 2797 as well. I do find that it makes a bunch more noise then the old one, locks up at a lot cooler temps.

A friend of mine bought one and said to me "It'll blow your hat off". It helped him with some heating issues he had. I have one on the shelf, waiting for me to get a chance to install it.

I have not noticed it being loud but it gets the job done

put a 2707 on my 66 w an 18.5" 7 blade I copped from a local CraigsLister as part of a package deal. So far its been a huge improvement over a 6 blade 18" w no clutch. Hasn't gone over 210 F at the worst on rare occasions, normally sits tight at 190 F. How much more clutch is a 2797 than what I got?

The non thermal works good but with A/C the 2797 works better.

The non thermal works good but with A/C the 2797 works better.
The 2707 is a thermal fan. The non thermal version is the 1707.
This may help...
http://www.haydenauto.com/upload/HaydenAuto/Documents/Cat_Hayden/2013_HaydenCatalog_FINAL.pdf
http://www.haydenauto.com/upload/HaydenAuto/Documents/Cat_Hayden/2013_HaydenCatalog_FINAL.pdf
In a nutshell... the 2747 is the heavy duty called for if the standard fan is 1706 or 1707. The 2797 has few call outs in the Mopar products but is the Severe Duty version of the 2747 in the GM cars that use it...

It is leaping past normal parts guide rules... but we own C Bodies... we should be used to this idea by now.:D

Page 339 gives an brief performance guide. page 345 is a dimension guide. If the 2747 fits at 3.34 inches off the pump and fan mount at 1.62 inches, good chance the 2797 will fit at 3.65 and 1.63 inches. You can look up whatever else you like from there.:)

This may help...
In a nutshell... You can look up whatever else you like from there.:)

Much obliged! That's the answer I was looking for. Since I don't put AC on my cars, and remove what's there, the 2707 should suffice for Mathilda. I'm keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a shroud, and still plan to get the new radiator this summer, though for now the old one is holding its coolant.

This thread got me thinking about my clutch a few months ago. Mine's more than old enough to go drinking, might be time to replace it. Did some digging in the Hayden catalog and found 2747 listed as the heavy duty clutch. Bought one, and does it ever get the air moving! So much so that after a few trips around the neighborhood I started to worry that it would pull the pump off the motor. Swapped it out for the 2706. Much better! It's alot cooler underhood and only revs up on cold start for the first minute or if I get stuck in traffic for a while. Just like when I purchased the car.

Much obliged! That's the answer I was looking for. Since I don't put AC on my cars, and remove what's there, the 2707 should suffice for Mathilda. I'm keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a shroud, and still plan to get the new radiator this summer, though for now the old one is holding its coolant.

Wait a minute. . . You live in Tucson, and you REMOVE the A/C from all yer cars?!?

Wait a minute. . . You live in Tucson, and you REMOVE the A/C from all yer cars?!?
Yep! I've NEVER since 1978 driven a car with an AC; not in the 30 yrs I've lived in Tucson, or growing up in Ft Worth, Tx before that. My worry is for the ENGINE; namely, that it doesn't cook during the summer. With that in mind, I'm going to upgrade to either the 2747 or 2797 clutch this summer. Tilly kept the line at 210 F max last summer, but why even let her get that warm, when I suspect a 2797 should keep her under 200 F?

Yep! I've NEVER since 1978 driven a car with an AC; not in the 30 yrs I've lived in Tucson, or growing up in Ft Worth, Tx before that. My worry is for the ENGINE; namely, that it doesn't cook during the summer. With that in mind, I'm going to upgrade to either the 2747 or 2797 clutch this summer. Tilly kept the line at 210 F max last summer, but why even let her get that warm, when I suspect a 2797 should keep her under 200 F?

If you have a non-a/c car, you get a 22" radiator from the factory. Lousy for cooling in hot weather no matter what you do, especially with a 440 at low speeds (traffic). The best thing you could do is put in an a/c radiator support that will accomodate a 26" wide radiator and be sure to get a radiator with a high efficiency core (high fin density). Then you can use what ever fan drive you like and you will likely be OK. A fan shroud always helps too. I like a/c and an engine that runs cool - you can have both. It just costs $$$$.

What are you doing here with this "No A/C Ever, and I'm Proud of It" thing?!? Are you trying to win the world's most gnarly man contest?!?

What are you doing here with this "No A/C Ever, and I'm Proud of It" thing?!? Are you trying to win the world's most gnarly man contest?!?

Hardly. But, the fact is, I've learned to do without A/C both in my ride and home. We use evaporative cooling down here. I am looking for a reasonably priced automotive swamp cooler for Mathilda, as the additional current draw is well within the capacity of the 60A alternator. Tilly, like a good many other vehicles I've owned, lacks all her original driving compartment insulation save a little under the front bench and the dash. Using an AIR CONDITIONER in such an environment is absurdly inefficient, just as it is in the trailer I now inhabit or the old adobe flat and adobe-brick house I once started to buy. Swamp cooling is the way to go down here.

The fact is: using a compressor/evaporator air conditioner requires a fair bit of energy from your motor. Cooling a passenger compartment requires a good seal for that environment, AND a good heat sink to dump all the heat your evaporator is absorbing (so to speak). That sink normally is the radiator, with the condenser coils placed just in front to catch the heat and to cool the coils down as much as that radiator can. Regardless of size, the radiator will catch that heat, and if it is NOT optimally configured to do so, then your engine WILL pay dearly for your transient comfort. Even if it is well adapted to the purpose, as my original #2524984; a PRECIOUS AND RARE TYPE NOWADAYS, meant for High altitude, AC and automatic trannies, ( Mopar Radiator Guide & Specifications 1962 to 1974 ) is, your engine WILL do extra WORK, running that compressor, running the alternator harder, the fan and all, and very likely WILL experience some rise in temperature from that extra work. Given what a trifle the dubious comfort of riding in a closed glass cage in summer heat is, I've never considered it worth my nickel.

I likely will replace my radiator with one of the better made (U.S.A.) aluminum ones this spring. I can buy two of those for a re-core of the original. I know a good, reputable radiator shop for that, but I simply refuse to spend the high $ to restore an obsolete method when the newer one does the trick for less. I can save the original one for my engine cradle for the 400 I mean to build anyway. Its still plenty good for that. Ironically enough, I was looking into the merits of the 2797 as I notice that the 2707 doesn't spin the fan quite enough for my liking when I ran across your query. I'd show off my gator hunting pics if I wanted to do "gnarly"....

Besides, it messes with my in-laws' micro-cephalic yankee minds! Doubly that their daughter now sings My Gospel, in this and many other regards....

Back