Headers. Why?

Went back and reread that iron head thread on fbbo. If you go from the baseline stock logs& stock intake with a stock carter 600 272 horsepower, to headers, a eddy 750 carb, and a aftermarket alum intake ( they used a single plane because thats what they had IQ52 admits a performer would be better) at 312 horsepower. That is a 40 HP increase with simple bolt on pieces on a engine that started out as basically a formal 440 that will run on any old gas you can find, if you throw a little bit of cam in it 50 is within reason.

Why do you want headers on your C-body?
Discuss, please. :argue:

I have to admit I have always liked the sound that headers add to the old big blocks. I don't think they're necessary, but I am not complaining that someone went to the trouble to put them on mine before I bought it either. I was very impressed with the results from the article below, which does shed some light on the difference headers can make when you pair them with the right intake/carb.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/mopp-0209-383-engine-restore/

I have to admit I have always liked the sound that headers add to the old big blocks. I don't think they're necessary, but I am not complaining that someone went to the trouble to put them on mine before I bought it either. I was very impressed with the results from the article below, which does shed some light on the difference headers can make when you pair them with the right intake/carb.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/mopp-0209-383-engine-restore/

Wow.

(As a total aside, I really like how you can access articles from all the different car mags at hotrod.com)

Before I started looking into this more, I wouldn't have ever guessed that. Seeing a torque increase from a stock engine with headers is pretty impressive. One thing they don't show, however, is power much below 3,000 rpm. And on a big, heavy car, the power at 1500 rpm is important too.

I'd love to see a dyno pull down from off idle in one of these tests.

Stands to reason that scavenging would still be present below 3000 just most dynos don't measure that low because accuracy suffers. Fact is they are a improvement just not enough verses the hassel.

Although I am a dyed in the wool header guy, I will be crippling my 440 Monaco with hp manifolds. Reason; I want it to look stock when the hood is popped. Even though it will be like having a knife jammed in my chest. All you can do is spend MORE $$ on the inside!
Rem

yIOoT8B.jpg

Unreal...

About the Schumacher B/RB tri-y headers, my friend with a 65 Satellite says they were the best header he has had the pleasure of installing. He loves them and was smiling like a kid at Christmas. The passenger side drops in from the top, easy peasy.

Back