Headlight Relays with Hidden Headlights

I have now done away with those 30 amp circuit breakers and moved onto blade fuses in a small box. Seen here is the one in my Cougar which supplies low beams, high beams, ignition, and electric choke. A great theft deterrent also. I just remove the good 15 amp blade fuse and insert a bad one. How many people on this planet will figure that one out on the fly?

View attachment 637236
My preference is to use a circuit breaker for the headlights. Once the fuse blows, that's it... The breaker will reset. Might not make any difference, but with things like headlights, I like to make things as easy to fix as possible, figuring it's going to be in the dark, in the rain and I'm out of fuses.

The factory did just this with a circuit breaker on the switch itself and fuses on the tail lights.

My preference is to use a circuit breaker for the headlights. Once the fuse blows, that's it... The breaker will reset. Might not make any difference, but with things like headlights, I like to make things as easy to fix as possible, figuring it's going to be in the dark, in the rain and I'm out of fuses.

The factory did just this with a circuit breaker on the switch itself and fuses on the tail lights.
True, but several things. One, I felt a resetting fuse could hide what was happening when it started to reset. Two, luckily I don't have much in rain where I am and would never drive my cars in rain. Three, I rarely drive one of them at night. Four, the other four run the headlights and the ignition off relays. Five, I always have replacements inside the car and besides if I started blowing fuses then I have a bigger problem elsewhere. In the meantime I now have five of these 30 amp fuses sitting around with covers.

True, but several things. One, I felt a resetting fuse could hide what was happening when it started to reset. Two, luckily I don't have much in rain where I am and would never drive my cars in rain. Three, I rarely drive one of them at night. Four, the other four run the headlights and the ignition off relays. Five, I always have replacements inside the car and besides if I started blowing fuses then I have a bigger problem elsewhere. In the meantime I now have five of these 30 amp fuses sitting around with covers.
Do what you like on that... But I really think the circuit breaker is the better way. Once you fix the short... and that should be simple because everything under the dash is now isolated from the heavy draw of the lights., it will light up. That might be better than swapping fuses and trying. Of course, you still have a factory circuit breaker in the headlight switch.

Concerning driving in the rain, I go to Carlisle, so driving in the rain is part of the deal... Because it always rains on me somewhere along the line when I go... LOL. The point being, I try to keep things so they can be worked on in the worst of circumstances. I don't think that is a bad way to do any mods.

Back