Headlight switch issue

Reaction score
So i found out that the headlight switch in my 67 t&c is known to short out and the headlights would go off and on intermittently. I found another switch from a newport that was the same style and it had the same issue.
The switch is a 3 postion switch with the wires soldered on each post and a plug on the end that connects to the harness
Is there a way to rewire another style switch in its place so i dont loose my lights while driving at night?

There is a built in circuit breaker in the head light switch. You need to find the short circuit!!! The switch is just doing it's job.

My brand new headlight switch (likely Chinese junk) is doing that when I use the high beam... stupid built in circuit breaker will heat up and turn the lights out then cool and come back on... no fun when driving that's for sure.

I bought a plug and play wire harness with relays for the headlights from FABO member Crackedback (Rob) so that minimal current will be required from the headlight switch or through the firewall and to increase the brightness (less curcuit resistance).

VERY professional product and instructions.

[FOR SALE] - Plug and play - Headlight Relay Kits

Often the floor mounted dimmer/highbeam switch gets corroded and yucky causing resistance and making the headlamp switch breaker pop off.

Clean all the various connections through the system, especially the highbeam switch.

Most likely your problem is in the foot dimmer switch. These seem to get overlooked as the cause of a lot of headlight issues.

But I agree, the circuit breaker in the switch is just doing its job. There's a short or excess draw somewhere (again, foot dimmer) in the circuit. That issue would need to be addressed before doing anything else.

So i found out that the headlight switch in my 67 t&c is known to short out and the headlights would go off and on intermittently. I found another switch from a newport that was the same style and it had the same issue.
The switch is a 3 postion switch with the wires soldered on each post and a plug on the end that connects to the harness
Is there a way to rewire another style switch in its place so i dont loose my lights while driving at night?
If it is the circuit breaker tripping in and out, there is obviously an issue with the switch or the load created by the lights or wiring is the culprit. I definitely would check the dimmer switch but a more popular way to remedy the issue is with a pair of relays, activated by the foot switch for High and Low beams. The main power for the relays to the headlights would come from a separate fused source under the hood. The situation you have could have the makings of serious consequences and should be approached from all possibilities, not just the headlight switch. Keep a fire exstinguisher close by.

If it is the circuit breaker tripping in and out, there is obviously an issue with the switch or the load created by the lights or wiring is the culprit. I definitely would check the dimmer switch but a more popular way to remedy the issue is with a pair of relays, activated by the foot switch for High and Low beams. The main power for the relays to the headlights would come from a separate fused source under the hood. The situation you have could have the makings of serious consequences and should be approached from all possibilities, not just the headlight switch. Keep a fire exstinguisher close by.

I agree chase all possibilities down... I'm my case, I had eliminated everything I could including a new foot dimmer switch, traced wiring cleaned the firewall connectors... all points to the new headlight switch. I was going to buy another one but I figured while I have everything apart this winter I'd just do the headlight relay thing too. :)

Also I keep a fire extinguisher in all my vehicles and I think everyone should

I installed a relay on my car 20 years ago when I was having problems with my lights and I have NEVER had a issue since. On bright all 4 of my lights come on for vastly improved night time cruising. I would highly recommended it ! The lights are relayed to the battery with a fuse installed and the light switch now has virtually no electrical load on it. It works flawlessly like a normal light switch.

Big_John,
Didn't you do a thread some time back on doing this very same conversion?
I did, but mine was really centered around doing the relays and still having the hidden headlights work correctly.

There's a bunch of info on it at many different sites and it is a very good upgrade and one I heartily recommend. There's also some "plug and play" relay wiring that guys seem to like, but they are pricey.

Like everything else though, I am a strong believer in finding what the problem is before doing an upgrade.

Back