Headrests

mr. fix it

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I have done a bit of research here and see that there has been some chatter about adding headrests to our C bodies, when it became mandatory, etc...

Has anyone tackled this on a Slab and if so did you share it on the forum??

Costs for this luxury are insane if you go with B/N.

I did find some that have asked and that there is possibly brackets already installed on the passenger seat

Here is the most active thread I found on this topic.

1969 headrests

The question is: How often do you drive your car? If it is a weekend cruiser, I wouldn't worry about it. It will most likely be more hassle than it is worth.

I understand that. this is for my wife's comfort.
She has neck issues and we do plan to drive the car to different events that are more than a few miles away.
She needs neck support from time to time and our daily drivers having headrests allows her to use a neck support cushion to keep her from having her head snap around if she happens to doze off...

Having a head rest will allow her to feel more comfortable during the drive.

I understand that. this is for my wife's comfort.
She has neck issues and we do plan to drive the car to different events that are more than a few miles away.
She needs neck support from time to time and our daily drivers having headrests allows her to use a neck support cushion to keep her from having her head snap around if she happens to doze off...

Having a head rest will allow her to feel more comfortable during the drive.

Got it.

You may want to consider an aftermarket alternative. The headrests on my '65 are not very functional.

I'm thinking of popping the head rests from the 73 Newport I have and fitting them into the seat.
Heck if I could I'd swap the entire seat out but it is a 4dr bench an the Polara is a split back for rear passengers

I plan to re-angle the internal brackets to bring them closer to the back of our heads..

Last edited:
My 69 fury came with headrests from the factory as well as front shoulder seatbets.

The head rests in their stock location work well with a U shaped neck pillow. I don't think I would move them any farther forward though.

The bracketry in the seat back is pretty simple stuff and I think you could fabricate something similar without a lot of problems. It may already even be in there, but you won't know until you open it up. You might even be able to take the brackets from the 73 seat.

BTW, Autozone sells Cowles 1/4" chrome molding that is a perfect replacement for the headrest chrome. It's under $15 and will do at least 6 headrests.

Back