Heating your workspace

What are you using to heat your shop/garage this Winter?

• Nothing

• Wood-burning stove

• Oil-burning stove

• Natural Gas heater (permanent)

• Propane heater (permanent)

• Portable gas heater (propane or NG)

• Gasoline heater

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

patrick66

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I have a BIG shop - 64' x 38' x 12' high. That's a little over 2,400 sq ft of floor space. It is insulated and has insulated roll-ups and walk-in doors, but no heat or air. This time of year, it's impossible to do the simplest work out there because of the cold.

I've got natural gas to the house, and the line runs right next to the shop. Plumbing gas to the shop isn't an issue. I've considered industrial-sized gas heaters, suspended from the ceiling; but the initial cost is in no way cheap. I've also considered oil heaters, as I do my own oil changes. Even wood-burners, but I really don't want an open flame like that!

Now, I've thinking about those free-standing patio gas heaters...They are supposed to heat between 750 - 850 sq ft of patio space, which is usually outside areas. In my shop, I'm thinking two of these would heat the shop up about 25-30* above the outside temperature on most days, which would be far more comfortable than no heat at all.

What are you guys using, and what has been the best (and worst) thing about your choice???

I use an ancient kerosene salamander type heater. Point it in the direction of where I'm working and head back in the house for a bit.

Good doors that seal are the biggest factor in keeping it warm.

The colder it gets, the less time I spend in the garage. I stay out of the garage completely when it's single digit temps or below.

30 x 60 x 14', electric floor heat off-peak. Not too bad to keep that much area at 60.

My shop is 30 x 40- 2 story (upstairs not insulated yet) with 9 foot ceilings. Well insulated downstairs. I have a "Hot Dawg" 45,000 btu propane hanging furnace that i keep at a constant 55 degrees. I'm comfortable working in it. I'll probably spend 4-6 hours a day in the shop and that will equate to roughly $400 to heat it this winter.

Ive got a one stall garage, no heat. So i open the garage door about a foot and let the Newport run for about twenty minutes. Maybe someday I'll install an exhaust hose instead.

Even wood-burners, but I really don't want an open flame like that!
I think you're going to essentially have an open flame on almost any type of heater that burns a fuel, other than a high efficiency furnace that uses outside air for combustion.

Three car garage with a permanent nat. gas heater hanging from the ceiling.
With our recent weather the cold is creeping across the conc. slab.

Unfortunately, I got nothing. Not insulated nor heated.
In your situation, I'd just wait it out till I could buy the ceiling units. With a place that size, I just couldn't justify doing it any other way.
Just me tho.

If anyone's interested I have a Lennox hanging furnace for sale. 30,000 btu for Natural gas. Could be converted to propane. $250.00. Trying to help my frozen brothers....

Here's a pic of the unit and data tag.

20171010_085340.jpg

20171015_194639.jpg

I have a BIG shop - 64' x 38' x 12' high. That's a little over 2,400 sq ft of floor space. It is insulated and has insulated roll-ups and walk-in doors, but no heat or air. This time of year, it's impossible to do the simplest work out there because of the cold.

I've got natural gas to the house, and the line runs right next to the shop. Plumbing gas to the shop isn't an issue. I've considered industrial-sized gas heaters, suspended from the ceiling; but the initial cost is in no way cheap. I've also considered oil heaters, as I do my own oil changes. Even wood-burners, but I really don't want an open flame like that!

Now, I've thinking about those free-standing patio gas heaters...They are supposed to heat between 750 - 850 sq ft of patio space, which is usually outside areas. In my shop, I'm thinking two of these would heat the shop up about 25-30* above the outside temperature on most days, which would be far more comfortable than no heat at all.

What are you guys using, and what has been the best (and worst) thing about your choice???

My home garage is 22' X 22'. I have four baseboard electric heater units which do a great job keeping the garage as warm as our living room. No flame to worry about either. Only drawback is they are expensive to run all the time, so I leave 'em off until I need to do something out there. The Garage Mahal has no heat at all, but I do occasionally use a round tubular propane heater to take the chill off.

My home garage is 22' X 22'. I have four baseboard electric heater units which do a great job keeping the garage as warm as our living room. No flame to worry about either. Only drawback is they are expensive to run all the time, so I leave 'em off until I need to do something out there. The Garage Mahal has no heat at all, but I do occasionally use a round tubular propane heater to take the chill off.
Thank you for admitting that electric heat is $$$$.

In the next few years I hope to hope an outdoor wood boiler in. My desire is for one that would be big enough for the second garage that I would like to build. Which would be in the neighborhood of 28 x 24. I already have a 2 stall on the house that would then be used only for parking duties.

Thank you for admitting that electric heat is $$$$.

In the next few years I hope to hope an outdoor wood boiler in. My desire is for one that would be big enough for the second garage that I would like to build. Which would be in the neighborhood of 28 x 24. I already have a 2 stall on the house that would then be used only for parking duties.

John: That sounds like a plan. Don't know if you have the room, but we built the Garage Mahal to a dimension of 24' X 40'. I thought that was huge; it surprised me just how quickly we filled it up with cars and other related stuff.

For my 36x36 attached garage I have an off peak electric boiler with heat tubes in the floor. A NG boiler would cost less to run but more $ upfront. This is unrealistic if your floor is already poured.
My detached is only 24 x24 but very well insulated with 2x6 walls. I have a 10 kw electric forced air heater. It has no trouble keeping it 65 degrees when it is below zero, but notice it the next electric bill. Not too bad if I keep it at 55.

If your garage is insulated and well sealed be careful with carbon monoxide if you attempt a non vented option. For quick heat while you are awaiting your final option. A small force air ,kerosene salamander/ nipco / space heater ( name depending on region) will give you quick heat for under $200. They also have smaller propane versions.

My new insulated garage doors made a BIG difference in the winter months.

Back