Heavy Metal

USS Arizona on NYC's East River, returning from sea trials. December 25th, 1916
0wph9hcwzma71.jpg

I may have already posted these, but I'm not going to look through 71 pages to find out.

Massachusetts, BB59, at Battleship Cove, Mass.
P1010025.JPG
P1010034.JPG
P1010041.JPG

A Duck, DUKW Amphibious Vehicle, used as a tour vehicle in Honolulu, 2004.
P1010092.JPG

A gathering of beautifully painted water trucks, Shasta County, August 2010.
IMG_5071.JPG

Aerial view of USS Prinz Eugen (IX-300) sailing from Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, 10 March 1946.
qovq5xm661b71.jpg

The second most decorated (American) warship of the second world war after the legendary USS Enterprise (CV-6), USS San Diego (CL-53).
b6hg9vvd71b71.jpg

HMS Kilbride in dazzle camouflage during WWI. This class of gunboat/sloop was designed to face both ways to confuse U-boats
808xdygsyya71.jpg

USS New York (BB-34) in the east chamber, Pedro Miquel lock, during the passage of the Pacific fleet through the Panama Canal, July 26, 1919
qkjzsxleyya71.jpg

Do you mean Scapa Flow where the rest of the German Navy was scuttled. Westfalen was not there, but she was scrapped in the '20's.
Damn!! Yes, I do! I guess they were not scuttled in the State of Washington after all!! :lol:

Spring 1957. Damaged as a result of kamikaze attack and removed during subsequent repairs, turret No.2 of USS Louisville (CA-28) is transported from the Mare Island Naval Shipyard to the Nevada Test Site where it will be used to build a rotatable radiation detection device.
1u83ukpcrcb71.jpg

A view of the USS Ohio's (BB-12) forward 12"/40 caliber guns in the Mark 4 turret. Circa 1907-1908
ed1y9g0lzfb71.jpg

airstream1.png

a buddy of mine was regaling us with tales of life on a road building crew when he was younger. How the work came to a halt when the guy who could run the Cat "D8" was out -- and a "special rating" a guy had to have to run that thing.

This road crew was hoggin' roads out of forests, in America and during Vietnam War .. with Cat D Series dozers leading the pack.

Cat's apparently up to the D11 now ... and it aint the biggest it seems?

Anyway, the top five heavy metal dozers -- according to this source: Top 5 World's Biggest Dozers

airstream6.png

airstream5.png
airstream4.png

airstream3.png
airstream2.png

airstream1.png

Locomotive vs bulldozer? who wins?

ridiculous notion you cant really prove 'head to head: in a way (one on rails, one on dirt, etc) , but has to do with "Tractive Forces" (real propeller head physics for those really interested).

I was surprised with the answer, and who the towing champion really might be (hint: it aint either one) ??. I like the following answer ..seems to check out with multiple sources.

source: Which of these would win in a tug-a-war: a bulldozer, a locomotive, a ship, an airliner? - Quora

A Caterpillar D11 bulldozer is theoretically capable of pulling 340,000 lbs., if it has good traction and is in first gear. The Komatsu 575A is bigger and should be able to pull harder, but not likely much more than 500,000 lbs.

Locomotives are much more difficult. One struggles with the concept of, “what is a locomotive?”, since the largest locomotives are modular and made from nearly identical sections coupled together. The single-section locomotive with the greatest pull is the SD70ACe diesel-electric used in the US; it has 6 axles and 12 wheels, and can pull 200,000 lbs (locomotive have a problem slipping on steel rails). The Russian 4E5K electric locomotive consists of 4 8-wheeled sections connected together that can pull 300,000 lbs. But in US practice, it is common to connect multiple locomotives together, all controlled from one cabin. Is that one locomotive, or 2, 3, 4, or more?

The limit in US practice seems to be the strength of the couplers connecting the cars; if you connect too many locomotives together, they can literally pull the couplers right off the train cars. For that reason, really big trains in the US might have 4 locomotives up front, and 4 more in the middle, controlled from the front cabin by radio. With the 4 “middle” locomotives pushing the front half of the string of cars, that eases the load on the first car’s coupler.

At any rate, no coupler is designed to withstand a force of more than 650,000 lbs, so let’s call that the limit for any locomotive.

The world’s most powerful tugboat is the Island Victory, which recorded a pull of 477 tons (954,000 lbs).

USS Nevada painted high visibility orange to serve as the target ship for Operations Crossroads Test Able drop. The bomb missed by 1700 yards, striking above USS Gilliam, an attack transport ship
r3p8fxu17ec71.jpg

Back