Heavy Metal

I am of two minds on this one.

Either the greatest thing ever invented, or the biggest hoax of all time. Probably neither ... but where its allegedly been sighted is smak-dab in "UAP" territory.

And it would be able to do what people have asserted they've seen UAP's do. Non-ballistic motions at HIGH speed for one, and other things, however, that are beyond the capability of human bodies to withstand.

Surely US (others perhaps) have/working on things in secret ... work for years on it, deny, deny, and viola .. there it is!

This craft? dunno. atomic with liquid mercury. better not crash one and expect people to live there right afterward.

TR-3 Black Manta - US Top Secret Project With Alien Technology - Military-wiki
-quan-doi-my-mang-cong-nghe-ngoai-hanh-tinh-Hinh-7.jpg
-quan-doi-my-mang-cong-nghe-ngoai-hanh-tinh-Hinh-4.jpg
-quan-doi-my-mang-cong-nghe-ngoai-hanh-tinh-Hinh-8.jpg
quan-doi-my-mang-cong-nghe-ngoai-hanh-tinh-Hinh-10.jpg
1675284428018.jpeg

Last edited:
I am of two minds on this one.

Either the greatest thing ever invented, or the biggest hoax of all time. Probably neither ... but where its allegedly been sighted is smak-dab in "UAP" territory.

And it would be able to do what people have asserted they've seen UAP's do. Non-ballistic motions at HIGH speed for one, and other things, however, that are beyond the capability of human bodies to withstand.

Surely US (others perhaps) have/working on things in secret ... work for years on it, deny, deny, and viola .. there it is!

This craft? dunno. atomic with liquid mercury. better not crash one and expect people to live there right afterward.

TR-3 Black Manta - US Top Secret Project With Alien Technology - Military-wiki
View attachment 579452View attachment 579453View attachment 579454View attachment 579455View attachment 579456
I’m fairly certain that this is not possible:

Plasma is created by bringing mercury to a pressure of 250,000 atm, at a temperature of -123 degrees Celsius.
The pressure cited is over 3.5 MILLION PSI!

114-australian-engineer-frank-botrill-wh-jpg-jpg.jpg
map 1PPPB.png

source: Unusual Traction Engines

"Fowler compound engine fitted with experimental Botrail tracks

This engine started life in 1912 as a standard Fowler Class R3 road locomotive, but early the following year was fitted with the Botrail arrangement of steel shoes held on by steel cables.

The photograph shows trials on Redcar Sands on 22nd April 1913. Two heavily laden trucks were towed.

The Botrail was invented by Frank Bottrill, engineer, of 41 Moubray Street, Albert Park, State of Victoria, Australia. He was issued with British Patent 8844 (in 1912) for "Improvements relating to Ped-rail Shoes for Heavy Road Vehicles

The Botrail wheel (below), taken from patent 8844. Each of the 8 shoes has two steel cables attached at each end."

map 1PPPB.png

What would you need with one of these in 1900?

Not very many paved roads in 1900 in the world then...guess it needed the traction AND the armor because it was so slow (21 tons)?

I guess this is the successor to the The War Wagon (John Wayne/Kirk Douglas, 1967).

More likely maybe it was used by the banking system to move gold or something in cities holding reserves?. Wouldn't be very fast though... I pick the War Wagon in a drag race.

Untitled.png

source: Unusual Traction Engines

Armoured Fowler traction engine: 1900

"This engine, Fowler No 8894, was fitted with 4.5 tons of armour plate; it already weighed 17.5 tons beforehand. Mirrors were fitted to give the driver a view down the left side of the boiler."
map 1PPPB.png

This is a old (I should be talking :)) feller in Wisconsin collects tractors. He owns one of the first North American (Europe has a few) diesel tractor. The 1935 McCormick-Deering (IH) WD-40.

He was born 1935, used it as a lad, went to WWII, and decided he wanted to own it after he got back. Found out it was sold, but got lucky on found it, and restored it.

I have a similar story with my Dad's '68 Eldorad0 but I digress. We sold it in 1971 when he died, I bought it back in 1988 (it was in a farmer's barn, 20 miles from where we lived, full or mice, and hay, dirty, flat tires, etc), restored it. and still have it. Its kinda a piece of Heavy Metal - at 4,600 lbs.

68 Eldo (2).png

Five minute video on this fella's story. He tells his story, had to restore it in a labor of love, started with a gas engine (with a crank), then diesel kicked in, 40HP, 7,000 lbs. Well worth the time tp watch if you have it.

source: The First WD-40: 1935 McCormick-Deering WD-40

DW-1511-TRAC-01.jpg
1675964101848.png

1675964123587.png
1675964136341.png
1675964150350.png

Last edited:
Last edited:
Seriously, no comment on the context here, but I just caught up with this. Its just a "thing" and can be replaced. But damn. Anyway, this "situation" is gonna get finished up soon.

sources: Antonov An-225 Mriya - Wikipedia, video: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...Gostomel_for_trip_to_Perth.ogv.1080p.vp9.webm

The biggest (weight and wingspan) airplane in the world is gone. Destroyed in Kyiv Ukraine May last year. The Antonov An-225 Mriya.
View attachment 581225View attachment 581226View attachment 581227View attachment 581228View attachment 581229View attachment 581224

View attachment 581230
View attachment 581235
Was it destroyed while in storage?

yup.

just sitting under that hangar at Kyiv airport when Russia attacked Kyiv airport (Gostomel).

the Ukrainians owned it from the beginning, supposedly were advised to move it when Russia was advancing on the city lasr year, but couldnt because it was in need of repair.

it was shot up and "bombed" by Russia during the fighting.

Zelensky says theyll build another one after the war..

This post originates in the @ayilar architecture thread on garages, gas stations, and dealerships.

Photos of Vintage Auto Dealerships, Repair Shops, and Gas Stations

Some of us (me, obviously) expanded on a few occasions to the architecture of the auto industry. In my case it was Detroit, as that's where the industry thrived from 1900's through the 1970's.

sources: Ford Highland Park Plant | Detroit Historical Society, The Highland Park Powerplant Story by Paul Rentz – Model T Ford Fix, Gas-Steam Engine, 1916, Used to Generate Electricity at Highland Park Plant - The Henry Ford

So why here in this thread now.

The Ford Motor Company's Highland Park Michigan (suburb of Detroit) was where he mass produced the Model T - arguably the car that "put the world on wheels" - starting in 1910. Ford built 15M Model T's in Highland Park until 1927.

Highland Park was a HUGE complex (130 acres), and it had a large powerplant right on Woodward Avenue. This powerplant produced all the electricity for the site until 1926 (when electricity came FROM River Rouge Mi 10 miles away which started production with the Model A) Ford Complex powerplant (yes, Henry strung power lines, on his dime, 10 miles TO Highland Park to power his US auto empire at the time).

circa: 1930's, the powerplant with five smokestacks, and one of the site administration buildings in the foreground. This is Woodward looking north.
1676488203216.png

So, fast forward to 1956. Henry Ford died in 1947, still very fond of Highland Park where it all started. In 1956 the Highland Park Plant complex became National Historic Landmark. Its also the year, Ford started to demolish Highland Park starting with the powerplant.

Again, the powerplant did NOT generate electricity to the site since 1926. From 1910 to 1926, the powerplant had some of the most magnificent pieces of heavy metal in the world at the time.

Again, this was all done in the 1910's. Extraordinary when you set/learn about what folks built.

These folks -- building dreadnaughts, the Titanic, and the first industrial-level electricity generating powerplants -- were extremely skilled, and metalworking design and manufacturing was very advanced.

Over 100 years ago.

Nine (three rows of three engines), gas-steam engines (of Ford's own design) 6,000 HP each, 1.5M lbs each, each "flywheel" (connected gas engine to the steam engine) weighed 100 tons, and each engine was 72 ft. long, 45 ft wide, and 22 ft. tall (11 ft. above the floor, 11 ft. below the floor).

circa: 1919, powerplant first floor, looking north, Woodward Ave. out the windows on the left. Three, 50-ton cranes overhead, tiled floors, enamel bricked pillars, etc. Description under the picture.

The upper floors of the powerplant had multiple banks of electrical distribution, steam pipes, conduits of every type, etc., , necessary to power EVERYTHING on the 130 acre complex. The "windows" were basically shutters to allow ambient air flow through the building to modulate temperatures inside it.

map 1PPPB.png
map 1PPPB.png

One of the nine engines is at Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn. Description and pic of the 100 ton flywheel below.

1676489900623.png
1676490004366.png
1676490996086.png

Last, in 1956 the powerplant was torn down (something Henry Ford had forbade while he was living it is said). Eight of the gas-steam engines were scrapped and the one left at the Henry Ford.

The following pictures are stills from a multipart, 12 minute video with footage from ~1920, and then the 1956 historical site ceremony (Edsel Ford Jr. wearing a "boot"), and then the 1956 demolition of the powerplant.

circa: 1920, on Woodward, looking into the first floor of the powerplant. One of the "flywheels" is visible through the window in the middle of photo.
1676490610548.png

1956, the stacks being pulled down (perspective is from inside the complex, a crane is pulling them down one-by-one). And then there were none.
1676490726424.png
1676490777571.png
1676490860084.png

Last edited:
asb0319rouge1.jpg
1676497522625.png

circa. late 1930's, this 30 minute overview (produced by the Detroit News) below of the Ford Rouge Complex.

Sand/iron ore/coke/coal in one end, a finished Ford V8 powered car out the other in two and a half days. Foundry, blast furnaces, safety glass making, stamping presses, assembly lines, supplier parts, electrical generation, etc, .. all vertically-integrated in one place.

If you have time. Heavy metal galore in great detail in the video. first minute has summary statistics on the site.

Much of what you see (except the farming onsite) is automated now, and distributed across many companies/ plants/geographies. In essence, however, the basic manufacturing of ICE vehicles still kinda looks like this.

Last edited:
View attachment 582310View attachment 582309

circa. late 1930's, this 30 minute overview (produced by the Detroit News) below of the Ford Rouge Complex.

Sand/iron ore/coke/coal in one end, a finished Ford V8 powered car out the other in two and a half days. Foundry, blast furnaces, safety glass making, stamping presses, assembly lines, supplier parts, electrical generation, .. all in one place.

If you have time. Heavy metal galore in great detail in the video.

Much of what you see (except the farming onsite_ is automated now, and distributed across many plants/geographies. In essense, however, the basic manufacturing of ICE vehicles still kinda looks like this.

I did the plant tour there in '78. Saw the MustangII being assembled.

Seriously, no comment on the context here, but I just caught up with this. Its just a "thing" and can be replaced. But damn. Anyway, this "situation" is gonna get finished up soon.

sources: Antonov An-225 Mriya - Wikipedia, video: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...Gostomel_for_trip_to_Perth.ogv.1080p.vp9.webm

The biggest (weight and wingspan) airplane in the world is gone. Destroyed in Kyiv Ukraine May last year. The Antonov An-225 Mriya.
View attachment 581225View attachment 581226View attachment 581227View attachment 581228View attachment 581229View attachment 581224

View attachment 581230
View attachment 581235
I saw this plane at the airport in Fargo 8 or so years ago. I can’t recall if it was the one transporting a heard of breeding cattle to Ukraine or stopping for a re-fuel. It is a huge plane.

Back