Heavy Metal

1656215279276.png

Related:

The Hyundai got my attention because of its 100 year old design style ... they look like the art-deco streamliner locomotives from nearly 100 years ago... we have several posts of streamliners in this thread.

two examples below .. from 1936 and 1938, respectively.

1656518910182-png.png
1656526782493.png

I used to draw "future" semi's that looked like the Nikola, nice to see I was correct in my vision. :lol:

World's largest all-terrain, mobile crane. Liebherr 11200-9.1.

Note, NOT the largest capacity crane --- construction sites/shipyard/oil platform cranes can lift MUCH nore and are bigger, but you can't drive those machines away from their sites.

1656599591516.png

source: Mobile crane LTM 11200-9.1

The massive, yet still very mobile, Liebherr 11200-9.1 is the world’s tallest and strongest telescopic boom crane.

Fully assembled, this impressive piece of equipment can lift up to
1,179 tons, and reach a height of 550 feet with extensions attached.

The 18-wheeler truck is powered by an eight-cylinder, 16.2-liter 680 horsepower engine.

1656599684751.png

Of course its gotta happen (recycling), jbut ust glad I didnt see any V8 aluminum blocks getting chewed up.

Several times it appeared the shredder gagged on the blocks, coughed them up like a cat with a fur ball, then proceeded to finish up.

We all have that need for speed, that urge to go faster and faster! However, we believe this truck will quench your need. Known as Shockwave, this truck is capable of outrunning a bullet train (Japan) and is capable of generating 36,000 horsepower to attain a maximum speed that is close to 400 mph.

Moving on to the specs: three Pratt & Whitney J34-48 jet engines which previously belonged to Navy trainer jets known as T-2 Buckeye. A single jet engine is capable of 12,000 horsepower in afterburner which explains the 36,000 hp for Shockwave. The truck holds 190 gallons of fuel while it burns 180 of it per quarter mile race.

The Shockwave is essentially 4-ton Peterbilt Semi and employs three jet engines to cover a quarter mile within 6.5 seconds. The vehicle was originally built back in 1984 by Les Shockley and went through several modification by father and son, 64 years old Neal Darnell and Chris who is 31 years old.

The Shockwave currently holds the world record for the Fastest Jet-Powered Truck (full size) – 376mph. Neal describes the experience in a succinct way; ‘It’s an awesome experience. You won’t believe it until you see it.’

Thank you for decades of thrills with ShockWave (post #75 in this thread 7 years ago).

RIP Chris Darnell, who passed away this July 2 performing in ShockWave at an airshow in Michigan. Condolences also to his family,

1656970276851.png

The battleship is dead. Long live the battleship.

UntitledEE2ccc129 - Copy.png

Paradoxical statement? Naw.

What I mean is from the Civil war beginnings of the "ironsides", to the top-of (and end-of) the line Iowa and Yamato-class boats sunk, scrapped, mothballed, or serving as museums, they represented a pinnacle of human technical achievement.

When military dominance depended on eyeballin' your enemy and then flat-out physically pound their a**es to death with 2,000 lb "dumb" munitions, they made sense.

And their gaudy, thundering, awesome destructive capability was needed to do the job -- the more/bigger, the better.

Not glorifying war nor making any statement about "geo-politics" .. just recognizing their impact on human existence and stretching our minds/science to build them ... forever.

Technology .. nukes, radar, satellites, precision over-the-horizon strike power, faster, smaller but more capable, less exensive boats .. obsoleted them.

US Navy decommissioned the last two .. Iowa and Wisconsin .. almost 20 years ago now.

(source: Nov 2005 Washington Pos - Navy's last 2 battleships to be decommissioned)

Gone but not forgotten. Never to return.

Eight minutes that does a pretty good job of laying it out .. with words and pictures.

Last edited:
A hypothetical battle between the legendary German battleship Bismarck (50K tons, 800 feet long) and an Arleigh Burke-class (7K tons, 500 feet long) destroyer.

Who likely wins?

1657105002545.png
1657105032009.png

We got a lotta stuff in this thread on both these boat classes. But this is a kinda novelty question.

EOD, it looks like "no-contest" really in this hypothetical battle. 1930's tech vs. 1990's tech will clearly favor one boat over the other .. the essence of why battleships are all decomissioned.

A Burke-class boat would likely have the Bismarck -- Yamato, Iowa, or any similar-class battle wagon ever built -- resting on the bottom of the ocean, or more likely severely damaged and no longer battle-capable.

Unlikely in one KO blow given the Bismarck's armor, but the Bismarck would know they have been in a fight IF it wasn't sunk from effects of accumulated hits from long range weapon systems.

Bismarck may never even see its attacker as Burke's weapons range is 100 miles vs. Bismarck's 20 miles.

One good hit (it would be a lucky one) on Burke from Bismarck's 15-in guns would surely sink the destroyer .. which would never however allow itself inside the firing range of the bigger boat

Five minute vid (narrator talks fast with an accent but the graphics are good) makes a prediction.

Last edited:
Technology marches on. Move over Saturn V.

The new "King of the Hill" in rockets. First the moon, then Mars, then we'll see.

The NASA SLS (Space Launch System). Source: Artemis I: About the SLS if you wanna nerd out on the details

1657143379270.png

Quick Facts

1657143490196.png
1657143552260.png

"What are they doin' up there?!?

(I might have to call BS on #3 .. looks "shopped", not to mention defies physical laws on THIS planet)

UntitledEE2ccc123AB.png
UntitledEE2ccc12812AAA.png
UntitledEE2ccc12812AA.png
UntitledEE2ccc12812AAAA.png
UntitledEE2ccc12812Z.png
UntitledEE2ccc123NN.png
UntitledEE2ccc129 - Copy.png
UntitledEE2ccc12812A.png

UntitledEE2ccc12812Yx.png

8 minutes here, some of the above and a few diffrent ones

Last edited:

Learn something new "ever-day" as my "Nana" used to say to her propeller-hatted grandson.

Approaching 60 years later, nerd in me STILL can't stand not knowing what stuff is.:)

This (multiple sources confirm) is 1949 Fordson Major E27N Roadless Half Track.

"
Fordson", later just "Ford" was another Henry Ford innovation .. do for farm equipment in agrarian America what he did both markets in cars: introduce mass production.

Fordson teamed up with other manufacturers to create a variety of options for their tractors. The "Roadless" variation half track was actually a brand name of the Roadless Traction Ltd., UK company.

source: Fordson E27N Major

Variations/ conversions​

• Row Crop (Tricycle) version not offered but Bettinson did a single front wheel conversion kit.
  • Some machine were used as the basis for other machines such as loading shovels by Chaseside.
  • "County Commercial Cars Company" also build some tracked conversions.
  • Barford & Perkins - Roller conversion
  • Muir-Hill - dumper conversions
  • Roadless - Half track conversions
Roadless Traction Ltd. was founded in 1919 by Colonel Phillip Henry Johnson, a brilliant engineer, to exploit the Tracks that he had worked on during the First World War. Between 1925 and the 1950s Roadless built crawler and half track conversions tractors based on several makes of tractor.

From 1953, the company built 4-WD conversions based on Ford tractors, as well as some other makes, from the 1960 till 1983 when they went into liquidation.

LSS -- the tractor guys -- Deere, Ford. Allis Chalmers, Case, IH -- built some cool "heavy metal". We don't have enough of their stuff -- tractors that is -- here I think. I threw some roadless rigs on below .. I am sure there are other types I know nothing about.

We need some more stuff like Big Bud back at #1,527 in this thread

If any of you decide to help out with more tractor content, please remember if you can to tell us what we are looking at .. some of us "city folk" may NOT appreciate what we are looking at. :poke:

1941 Fordson Roadless
1657368557311.png

1947 Fordson Roadless
1657368926273.png

1948 Fordson Roadless at work on the farm back in the day
1657369067290.png

1949 Fordson Roadless
1657368522605.png

1951 Fordson Roadless
1657368708188.png

Last edited:
Now this was "how the West was won". :)

UntitledEE2ccc123ABZZ.png

source: Antique tractor sells for $1.47 million in Illinois, shattering the world record

The 1913 CASE 30-60 is one of just five that still exist, making the model highly sought after by antique tractor enthusiasts.​

A century-year-old tractor just became the most expensive tractor ever sold. The 1913 CASE 30-60 model tractor sold at an auction house in Illinois for a whopping $1.47 million.

It’s one of only five left; the other four are either in museums or private collections.

“If a collector wanted a 30-60 CASE, this was one of very few chances they would have in their lifetime to buy one,” said Kurt Aumann, who helped auction off the tractor. “That certainly contributed to the way it sold.”

Not only is it rare, he said, it’s also a beast of a machine. “This tractor was huge,” he said. “It’s called a prairie tractor, it was used to break virgin prairie in the farming fields and pull an eight bottom plow.”

It was the first gas-powered tractor built by the manufacturer, J. I. Case Company (now known as CASE IH). Prior to this model, their tractors mostly ran on a steam engine.

This particular tractor belonged to a well-known collector in central Iowa, according to Aumann. When he passed away, Aumann was part of the team that went to collect the tractor and prepare it for auction. It still runs, though it hasn’t been used in earnest in decades.

The Big Bud guys (Williams) above are relatives of mine. I believe they were my Dad’s cousins.
I was first told the history of this tractor by a couple of my college instructors In Havre, MT. They worked for Big Bud as the Technical writers, Prototype builders, and probably part engineering. (It was a small company).
This tractor was originally built for a Vineyard in California with a 4’ ripper to tear out the old vines so new could be planted. After that I believe it spent some time in Florida doing something similar in the orchards. I believe the Williams’s found it there and brought it back to Montana.
It I remember correctly it took 4 trucks to haul. Tires on one, front half, rear half, then control tower (cab). The cab’s on these tractor’s always remind me of airplane control towers.

Back