Help with valuation (at NYC prices) please

oliver

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for feedback on what would be a fair price to ask for my car: 1972 New Yorker, 2 Door, base model with manual seats and windows. I've owned it for 35 years and it has been kept indoors during that time. I know the car's history from 1978 on.
Mechanically: 440, approx. 52K, runs and drives great. It may have a small oil leak at the rear seal but I haven't been able to ascertain this as of yet. The brake system is completely new A to Z (all brake lines, drums, rotors, wheel cylinders, calipers, master, all new). Same with fuel system (all new lines, cleaned fuel tank, rebuilt carburetor), Rear axle resealed. The car has only been driven approx. 4K miles since 1978.
Cosmetically: To make the car really nice, the following would need to be done: eliminate the incorrect top and return the car to its original sans vinyl configuration. I had the car painted in the late '80's but could use redoing (scrapes) in the correct GY8 gold color. Bumpers aren't the best but I have a re-chromed front bumper and a good used rear one that would be suitable. The front seat needs repairing on the drivers side, as you can see. Carpet dirty. The front fenders are not the original ones and came from a California car. The car has no rust to speak of save for a dime size hole in the trunk gutter. The car comes with lots of spare parts: heater cores, heater box. body and electrical parts.

I haven't been actively looking to sell it; just looking for valuation feedback at this precise moment.

Many thanks.

Chry2.jpg

Chry3.jpg

Chry4.jpg

Chry5.jpg

Chry6.jpg

Chry7.jpg

Chry8.jpg

Chry1.jpg

Last edited:
I didn’t realize that you have owned it for 35 years! My god this really sucks that you need to sell that beauty.:BangHead:

I'd start at 7k and let people beat me down . Obviously you know where the problem areas are, I see a few. 72's dont have a huge following, I personally like them .

I didn’t realize that you have owned it for 35 years! My god this really sucks that you need to sell that beauty.:BangHead:

Thanks Matt. Selling it is not an absolute necessity at this time but it would simplify my life in a number of ways.

sadly its not worth a ton.. 3k ish maybe if you find the right buy.. better to just keep it..

sadly its not worth a ton.. 3k ish maybe if you find the right buy.. better to just keep it..

Dan, How come your stuff is always worth a million when you're selling but its only worth pennies when its not yours or if you're buying? Just curious ......

A running, driving car that is not rotted out all over the place & comes with a bunch of spare parts should get at least $5K. Plus you re-did the entire brake & fuel system. Don't sell yourself short. I bet that NYer would look great with no vinyl top. You don't see too many without a vinyl roof.

Best place to sell it is here. You might get a deal that you could buy it back at a later time. Sorry to hear you are considering this though.
Very nice car.

It looks like a nice car, and I like the 72s much more than the 73s. And it is a 2 door. You have also done the important safety maintenance.

Are you saying the odometer reads approximately 52K miles or could it have gone around once? Usually, one does not see a seat that worn in only 52K miles. An inspection for wear on the right, lower edge of the brake pedal also helps tell a story, where the metal trim tends to wear an edge on it after around 80K or so, maybe more miles, if not much city driving. That would be important to know when trying to estimate value. And I assume since it is low optioned, it doesn't have autotemp II, correct?

It looks like a nice car, and I like the 72s much more than the 73s. And it is a 2 door. You have also done the important safety maintenance.

Are you saying the odometer reads approximately 52K miles or could it have gone around once? Usually, one does not see a seat that worn in only 52K miles. An inspection for wear on the right, lower edge of the brake pedal also helps tell a story, where the metal trim tends to wear an edge on it after around 80K or so, maybe more miles, if not much city driving. That would be important to know when trying to estimate value. And I assume since it is low optioned, it doesn't have autotemp II, correct?

No it doesn't have Autotemp II and it's too tight overall to have high mileage. The resto shop who did the work seems to concur. My uncle bought it used in 1977 and retired it in 1978 claiming he wasn't pleased with the mileage and hated 2 Door cars. I got the car in 1983, at which time it showed 48K. Now it shows 52K b/c I've only driven it 4k in 35 years. The seat got ruined primarily because my uncle was storing a bunch of junk in the car from 1978 to 1983.

What's the story on the vinyl top? looks like there are no moldings on it. Have the holes been drilled or are they going to have to be welded?

If I lived in such a hostile environment, that car would be priceless to maintaining my sanity. That's no joke.

I'd leave NYC to the weirdos and keep the NY'er. Then you could actually drive it!

I see a great car, and with some upholstery work, get the nicer bumpers installed, top trim and a good detail, should be worth 8500-9k. I do hope you don't have to let this beauty go.
All the best.

I don't mind the vinyl top, like the color and body style. You have done some important mechanical work and the fact it has manual windows and seats will appeal to some that are afraid of electrical problems. I don't think 7k is unreasonable in the Norteast. Some people on Long Island pay 7 grand a quarter for property taxes, so chump change for that guy. If you can wait till spring breaks, bring it to car shows and cruise nights and slap a for sale sign on it. I think you may be surprised. Don't give it away.

Thanks Matt. Selling it is not an absolute necessity at this time but it would simplify my life in a number of ways.
I am sorry you are at the time to part with her after so long. I do like her a bunch, but she isn't for me. Best wishes on the sale, and I hope you find someone who will do right by her.

I know you're looking to sell sooner, but if you still have her in July... try bringing her to Carlisle. It would be a good way to get her into a place where the tire kickers who love these cars can check her out live. If you advertise the willingness to do so shortly before the event, maybe you can line up a few good leads.

Nice one Oliver. The fact it has been in your possession for roughly 35 years means alot to a potential serious buyer and hopefully a forum member. I personally prefer the 73. I don't follow the comps or recent sales of 72's...I know of a 4dr still for sale ...asking 11.5K still... If everything equal and I am imagining it as a 2dr 73 model I want...I'd consider 7K like Dave stated earlier. Maybe more? But, finding the buyer that has to have it is key. It is a very nice one. I like that it's out there for the forum members to consider. Wherever it goes it deserves another great caretaker if you have to part with it.

Back