Historical Assembly Plant Photo

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
3EGMNdHh.jpg

My absolute dream job would have been there, the last in line: a guy who drives those vehicles out!

The pre-contemporary, non-robotic, plants were excruciating hell holes. Don't get any romanticized notions about them.

Cool pic, my gramps worked at Chrysler but he didn't talk about it a whole lot

My absolute dream job would have been there, the last in line: a guy who drives those vehicles out!

I did some work at the Ford truck plant in Norfolk about 20 years ago. The last step was a quick test of the lights etc as the guy in a pit underneath did the front end alignment. BTW, I was in the pit for a little bit (checking the alignment stuff) and that was crazy... The trucks would whiz over your heads and stop just long enough for the guy to do his job.

The guy in the truck was working pretty hard too. He'd start the truck for the first time and drive it up for the testing. The truck got pulled out of the building and parked and then the guy had to run back for the next truck. Not the pleasant job you would think... especially when the weather was bad.

Today you pay for a personal Trainer for being hassled that way with the same results in Fitness and health. ;)

I doubt safety and ergonomics were big considerations when they designed assembly plants back in the day. Great pic, thanks for posting.

I toured the GM/Framingham, Mass. plant around 1980 and I got a new perspective on repetitive motion...
How anybody survived to do 30+ years on the floor is amazing.

3 generations above me(both sides of fam) worked for gm and I worked at the lake Orion plant for a bit in 08.7yrs in smaller parts plants. Even with the ergonomic designs the repetitive motion takes its toll. I also spent 9yrs in the masonry trade which wasn't much easier. I'll never forget my grandpa telling me" you don't want to work there. That place breaks people down or kills them". Of course I did listen. Great picture tho!

Remember the opening shots of the movie Christine............?

Scary... But you and Stan have the point there. I'm an over romantic. 57-58 Plymouth are my dream cars, all though I love fuselage C's equally. One day, hopefully, I can afford all the cars I love. That means me and wife can't live the rest of our lifes in Florida though..

I'd freek out if I found that on my bath towel.

You both are very sick men, you need your daily medicine. Ugh.

1953%20Ford%20Owners%20Manual-04%20amp%2005.jpg

WTF is Klaus's new avatar?????

I only used it to renew your interest in the Forum. It only took a few hours. :laughing4:No fear to touch it, Matt if you raise it helps you to slide back and forth.

1953%20Ford%20Owners%20Manual-04%20amp%2005.jpg

But I should have done something else today. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
My Dad worked at the Nash/AMC plant in the 1940's and 1950's.

images

Back