Hood alignment

monaco75

Reaction score
Pulled the hood off of the car when redoing everything on the front end. Cannot get the damn thing back in the correct spot. Bolts up good, and can get it "almost" there, but then when shut the middle of the hood sits higher then the fender. Also the lines all never seem to match perfect. Anyone have the correct procedure? I gave up tonight, I have all 8 bolts loose at the moment. Hoping to start fresh after work tomarrow.

The front latch seems to be all the way to the lowest setting possible, however when shut the hood still sticks up a 1/4 inch or so.. Should I make the holes a bit bigger? I have a bunch of mixed and matched parts working together from 5 cars into one. I'm not expecting it to be perfect, just a little better then what it is.

The car tried taking my hand yesterday. Was like the first scene out of christine. The hood came slamming down right in the middle of my left hand. Feels real good today!

Im a little frustrated lol :soapbox:

Thanks in advance!

The bump stops, and other hood related parts are all off of it at the moment Mr C. Was waiting to get the hood set before putting everything back on.

The core support is out of another car, however the support bars, brackets, latch, hood, ect are the original pieces to the car. The buddy who was helping me, and myself put the hood back on a couple days ago to get it home. Seems the passenger side back corner, and the whole front of the hood are sitting higher then they should be. Yet I can't seem to get them to go down. This is my first time messing with the hood, not sure if I am missing something/doing something wrong...

I am concerned with the hood coming down on its own. That suggests to me something is wrong with the hinges, which is where I would start

Well... that was my own fault, however was not expecting it. Was messing with the piece the hood roller slides on, on the driver side. Hood was up in the air, and seamed real sturdy, next thing I knew I was watching the hood come down in slow motion. My hand was right on top of the fender, and bam! Was one of those when it happened, it didnt really hurt, but when more time passed it set in.. lol

Luckily though, it did not really damage anything. Put a very tiny little nick in the header panel. I was kinda surprised at that.

I am concerned with the hood coming down on its own. That suggests to me something is wrong with the hinges, which is where I would start

No hinges on Formals. Uses torsion rods for tension and the hood rides on rollers.
The hood was reinstalled without the torsion rods in the correct preloaded position. These hoods really suck big time when trying to put them back on. Two people can do it but it's really a 3 man job. 2 to hold the hood and the 3rd. to preload the torsion rod and force it into the correct position. It's a ***** trying to keep from scratching the paint. I hate doing it.

(Sent using Forum Runner)

Thats why I offer no advice on these cars, I know absolutely nothing about them

And compared to most guys here, I'm basically a dummy on Fusies.
It's nice in here that no matter what the problem, someone has already encountered it.

Zac...this is yer ol' buddy Rob from the Blumo forum...hit it with a BIG hammer! :)

Mine is whacked out, too, on the passenger side...the rear corner of the hood isn't bolted completely, and every time I try to close it, I have to have a third hand to help pull the the roller down and over the 'hump', so to speak, while I pull up, lean to the right and push the hood down...not fun at all.

Torsion bars: Great idea for front suspensions, sucky idea for hood hinge systems. ;)

Rob

No hinges on Formals. Uses torsion rods for tension and the hood rides on rollers.
The hood was reinstalled without the torsion rods in the correct preloaded position. These hoods really suck big time when trying to put them back on. Two people can do it but it's really a 3 man job. 2 to hold the hood and the 3rd. to preload the torsion rod and force it into the correct position. It's a ***** trying to keep from scratching the paint. I hate doing it.

I have had my hood off my NY'er twice already working on the wipers. No problem. Marked the position of the hood before removing. Two of us to take it off and put it back on. Lines up perfect.

Hey Rob! Thanks my man! But got her done with no hammer! lol Figured out the big cause of the problem. The passenger fender somehow got bumped back a tiny bit when reassembling the car. I did not notice this till opening the passenger door. The edge just nicked it a tiny bit. Had to loosen the fender, and push it forward a bit, and everything lined up after that. The passenger side is still sticking up a little.. but screw it, I'll live with it.

Stan, your not lying! Bob does live a charmed life. Talk about a pain in the ***! :Groaner: Was bout ready to roll the car out the garage, and set it a blaze.

I've got another question you might know stan... Do you know where I might be able to get a replacement hood roller? Have not really looked into it yet. Seemed to have lost one. Called autozone up, and they dont offer it.

Thanks guys!

No one repops them because they were a C body item only. I have a few spares that I've grabbed off of cars crusher bound. Never seen them on eBay. I'll bet Murray has a 55 gal. drum filled with those things.
BTW, there were two styles. A round steel one and a square nylon one.

Last edited:
A square hood roller...?
You heard me. A square hood roller...

sgnzue.jpg

Skipped breakfast and rushed out the garage for us to prove. :)

He's retired, his watch goes different. :)

Back