How crazy am I?

prd2bdf

Reaction score
Or more aptly, is it a stupid idea? I’m considering taking my 73 Newport from Lancaster Ohio to Washington DC to pick up my bud from college and drive back.

That sounds to me like a great trip. My wife and I still talk about buying our 1963 300 in Illinois and driving it home to Upstate New York. 800+ miles of living in the moment, waiting and wondering what might happen in each mile as we received "thumbs up" from passing drivers. You're not crazy. You're an adventurer! And a memory maker. Go for it.

I "like" the idea. It all depends on the car's condition. I have a 67 300 and wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere. I converted it to Chrysler electronic ignition years ago... it's the

I mean, it has an upgraded radiator, external transmission cooler, transmission fluid changed, rear end fluid changed. The only thing that will suck is the gas mileage. I’m curious, does anyone know what rpm it turns going 70 since there’s no tach

I "like" the idea. It all depends on the car's condition. I have a 67 300 and wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere. I converted it to Chrysler electronic ignition years ago... it's the
Sorry, My computer froze up. The electronic ignition has left me flat 4 times in the 18 years I've owned the car. Just be sure to have a AAA membership and a spare ignition box with you.

Don't pick up any hitch hikers, he or she will think you are a murderer or the person you pick up may be a murderer.
Something to consider, have a nice trip!

I drive all my 60s 70s cars on long distance runs. Toronto to Carlisle, Watkins Glenn, Detroit. I have even done the 66 run from Santa Monica to Toronto a few times.
I really depends on your cars condition, is the engine in a good running condition, good tune correct timing for highway driving, belts hoses, leaks, tires, transmission good, brakes, front suspension and steering. Etc Etc....
But I would not hesitate to take any of mine, I can't drive them enough.
My Imperial was getting 12 to 15 mpg on the way home from Carlisle at 75 avg MPH

If he is an understanding friend have him take the metro outside the beltway so u have less forced sightseeing. Maybe Dulles airport....

Or more aptly, is it a stupid idea? I’m considering taking my 73 Newport from Lancaster Ohio to Washington DC to pick up my bud from college and drive back.
These cars were built to drive. As long as everything is in good shape, go for it. Bring a couple spares and some tools just in case.

As to engine rpm, figure about 25mph/1000rpm with 3.23 gears and 28mph/1000rpm with 2.7 gears. Probably has 2.7s unless somebody special ordered the 3.23s or it's a factory 4bbl motor.

How old are the tires?

Enjoy!
CBODY67

You know your car better than any of us. As long as all of your system components are operating well and have been maintained your car should run fine. Keep a spare ballast resistor in the glove box, that was a rule of thumb even when these cars were new. Let us know how it goes. I wish I could take my Fury on a nice road trip but I have 2 kinds of luck, bad & none so I don't take any chances. My AAA membership only covers 100 miles. LOL

I drove my '66 Newport from Whidbey Island to Spokane over the Snoqualmie Pass in the middle of January this past winter. Not the smartest thing I've ever done, but it was the only weekend without forecasted snow and the pass was clear, so I went for it. After a long conversation with the seller and a quick test drive, I was pretty confident I'd make it. I brought my full tool chest with me, and my wife was my spotter, driving behind me the whole way, about 400 miles total, including a ferry ride across Puget Sound. It was pretty easy until it got dark and started to rain. The load on the original electrical system with everything on was pretty high, visibility for me was pretty poor, and honestly, it was really stressful, but she made it and I made it too. I averaged 14 mpg on the highway I think, with a very out of tune Carter BBD, point ignition and incorrect timing.

These cars are incredible. Aside from catastrophic failure of a major component, there's no reason you won't make it. They remind me of the old Jeeps I used to drive. Nothing stopped them except total failure of the drive train.

Good luck!

As to engine rpm, figure about 25mph/1000rpm with 3.23 gears and 28mph/1000rpm with 2.7 gears. Probably has 2.7s unless somebody special ordered the 3.23s or it's a factory 4bbl motor.

How old are the tires?

Enjoy!
CBODY67
So basically at 70 mph the engine is turning 2500. Is that high for a 400

So basically at 70 mph the engine is turning 2500. Is that high for a 400
Heavens NO. Torque peak is right at 2800rpm, with power just past 4400rpm or so. On our '66 Newport 383 2bbl, with HD shocks and the tires in the 30psi range, once it got past 75mph, THEN it started to "have fun". The suspension got a bit firmer and the engine was on the top of the torque curve and it liked 75-90mph as its natural cruising speeds. Past 90, the suspension needed more stiffness and the engine took more throttle to increase speed. So we let it run where it felt best.

With the stock H78-14 belted tires, the speed was more like 28.6mph/1000rpm, fwiw.

Check the belts and hoses for good condition, so nothing breaks. Check the fluids in the engine, ps, and TF. Tire pressures of 32f/30rr (my preference).

To me, the BEST way to learn about and appreciate a Chrysler Corp vehicle is on longer road trips. Only after spending time driving (and riding) can you really appreciate the handling, comfort, and efficiency of the vehicle. Not that these things can't be felt in short trips, but on an extended excursion, they become more evident, to me.

Just my experiences,
CBODY67

Back