How do I get better gas mileage

Hey Shales. Depending on what you put in for a can you still have lots of tuning to do. That card is just fine, you should be able to get closer to the 15 mark once the motor is loosened up and tuned in. Start with timing, set up the total advance, set the carb AFR up and you will be good to go. Like a previous poster said, common sense stuff, air cleaner clean, tires inflated properly, an electronic ignition will all help.

558849_10153419129000377_140959342_n.jpg

I'm impressed that it knocked the truck spring loose or managed to break the u bolts.
Tuning is definitely key the eddy 1406 should be plenty lean for milage if you don't have a big cam and there are no drivability issues your close most of what your tuning is in the timing you need to be set at 35degrees btdc at about 3500 rpm vacuum advance disconnected you should also verify tdc against timing mark or put about 13-14 btdc at idle the 20-22 in the dist. will get you in the ballpark

Last edited:
I have a 1406 edlebrock jetted a little to the lean side on our 69 300, 440, (K code). Our 2200 mile trip to Carlisle in July produced an trip average mileage of 15.7.

All else is OEM including single exhaust and a 2:92 open gear.

A 3:23 sure grip is going in next weak and TTI duals with HP manifolds are in the planning soon.

Last edited:
Are you kidding... we love our cars for what they are. Giant C bodies! They are what they are. If you want good mileage buy a VW Diesel Rabbit. But I prefer my method... own a bunch and rotate! It doesn't feel so bad that way ..... LOL

Back