How Do I Relieve Tension On The Hood Springs?

LocuMob

Fluid Technician with a hat
Reaction score
I have the hood off my 66 Polara parts car,and I'm wondering how to relieve the tension on the hood springs/rods.

They are very difficult to do single handedly - you need to pry the springs away from where the roller contacts the hood hinge.

This is a two person job.

Protect the top of your firewall with a thick blanket or two and some wood. Have a buddy with a strong piece of rope tied around the upright arm of the spring by the roller. Make sure he knows he needs to be prepared to be pulling back hard to take the strain when you pry the spring roller away from under the hinge.

The spring will want to unwind HARD against the fire wall - hard enough to break fingers and dent the nice rounded corners of the firewall at the top.

BE CAREFUL!!

They are very difficult to do single handedly - you need to pry the springs away from where the roller contacts the hood hinge.

This is a two person job.

Protect the top of your firewall with a thick blanket or two and some wood. Have a buddy with a strong piece of rope tied around the upright arm of the spring by the roller. Make sure he knows he needs to be prepared to be pulling back hard to take the strain when you pry the spring roller away from under the hinge.

The spring will want to unwind HARD against the fire wall - hard enough to break fingers and dent the nice rounded corners of the firewall at the top.

BE CAREFUL!!
Yeah, I had one hop over the stop in the brace, and just about tore the top of my finger off, got it out just before it became shattered bits. Manual makes it sound easy, maybe I should have left the hood on. No worries, I can always leave them on, don't think I'll be needing a spare set anytime soon.

Go them off with a 2 ft bar pulling toward the side of the car.

IMG_20170830_113920.jpg

Back