How do I remove water pump housing?

spstan

Reaction score
Continuing on my process to replace the timing chain I have now successfully removed the air conditioner compressor and the alternator bracket. I have also removed all the obvious bolts that hold the water pump housing onto the engine. Trouble is the housing won't budge. Have I missed a hidden bolt somewhere or is it possible that a nearly 50 year old gasket is holding the pump housing tight to the engine? Before I start heavy pounding with a hammer and chisel and ruin something should I 1) use heat (propane torch) around the perimeter of the housing to loosen the seal? 2) reattach the water pump to the housing and try pounding down on the water pump? or 3) wait till I get a better suggestion from someone on this forum who's done this before? Thanks for any help. Paul

Be kind of helpful to give us a clue as to what car/engine you are working on.

(pictures are a plus too)

No matter what if all bolts are out. Tap the snout with a ball peen hammer and they come free. No need to smash it into next week just a few good solid taps

A pry bar between the back of the housing and the front of the block should easily separate the housing.

A pry bar between the back of the housing and the front of the block should easily separate the housing.
^This^

With one addition... Screw a couple bolts back in so they are very loose... Let's say the gap under the head is about 1/4". Now pry it off. Once it's loose, take the bolts out.

The bolts will keep it from crashing down to the floor or your foot.... Or your radiator if for some reason it's still in the car.

You didn't by chance forget the bolt behind the heater hose nipple, you have to take it out with an open end wrench as the pump housing comes off. then the bolt stays in the housing. Because that nipple ain't comin out after being in there for 50 years

You didn't by chance forget the bolt behind the heater hose nipple, you have to take it out with an open end wrench as the pump housing comes off. then the bolt stays in the housing. Because that nipple ain't comin out after being in there for 50 years
Here is a picture of the housing showing the 6 bolts holding it on (one half seen behind the heater hose nipple).
2014-08-31_006.jpg

Alan

Turns out that fellow Owen was right but I didn't understand what he was saying at first. I tapped all over the place with a hammer and the housing would not budge. Then I hit the "snout" of the housing (where the lower radiator hose is attached) and voila (as the French say) the housing fell right off. I guess it' true what they say about leverage after all (the snout being long). thanks for all the help. Paul

Back