Question on air conditioner removal

spstan

Reaction score
Trying to get to the timing chain cover. Looks like the air conditioner compressor has to come off first so I can get to the water pump housing so I can get to the timing cover. Has anyone removed an air conditioner compressor on a 440 (7.2L)? I took off several of the front bolts on the steel brace that holds the compressor but this did not seem loosen things up. What do I have to do (besides paying my mechanic $1500 for the job)? Paul

This is all the bolts,
The two struts on top.
The triangle bracket in back has a bolt.
The two on the front bracket.
2014-12-14_001.jpg

Alan

I've pulled back the compressor a couple of times to work on my 440's.
It can be done successfully.
Just use common sense as you pull the unit back out of the way. Wrap a towel around it and hold it back with rope or wire.

What year? The brackets completely changed between 68 and 69. Maybe more changes on mid 70's.

It could have been swapped around also, Got any photos?

($1500.00?? 10 labor hours + parts? Must have been figuring to remove the compressor, re-charge the a/c, new belts while he's there?) When the dealer did the timing chains on the '66 Newport 383 2bbl and put the DC roller chain in my '70 Monaco 383, both w/ac, the compressor was not removed, just moved out of the way a bit.

CBODY67

the earlier cast rear bracket that attaches to the compressor with 3 bolts goes from head to head i think to 2 front intake bolts...there's usually a passenger side tubular brace that attaches to the side of the compressor with 2 bolts and goes back to another intake bolt ,and a r/s tubular brace that picks up a head bolt on the compressor and goes to the intake by the coil bracket (see them in the pic now missed them before)...total overkill the newer ones got much simpler...there are 2 clamps that hold the l/s hard line too...one over by the carb linkage and the other in the back (might go to last intake bolt on r/s?)....just remove the small bolts to remove top of clamps leave the bottoms bolted to intake

That won't work, this small brackets to intake need to come off. The 68 and older compressor bracket has 2 bolts on left head and one on right. Then to top PS bolt and the bolt by T-stat whee alt strap goes.

Looks like it time to consult a service manual.....

What year? The brackets completely changed between 68 and 69. Maybe more changes on mid 70's.

4: its a 1975 New Yorker Brougham. Maybe the bolts I'm missing are in back of the compressor. I'll ask my race car neighbor. What amazes me is I could not find a video on You tube and the 1975 FSM was of no help. Paul

4: its a 1975 New Yorker Brougham. Maybe the bolts I'm missing are in back of the compressor. I'll ask my race car neighbor. What amazes me is I could not find a video on You tube and the 1975 FSM was of no help. Paul
I'll try to take some pictures over the week end. Sure hope I don't have to spend the $1500 but mechanics have to eat too. Paul

Back