question on water pump housing

spstan

Reaction score
Finally started my timing chain replacement project. Removed water pump. Now it looks like I have to remove water pup housing to get to timing chain cover. True? If so, how difficult is it to remover water pump housing? Paul

Big block? Small Block? Either one I would say the pump housing needs to come off. Not difficult at all once the accessories bolted on with the housing bolts are off.
IMO, you need to invest in a shop manual for your car in the very least.

Just keep pulling bolts, can't go wrong.

Small Block: Remove the dampener, few more bolts (and a couple oil pan bolts)

Big Block: Remove the dampener, few more bolts

Alan

Big block? Small Block? Either one I would say the pump housing needs to come off. Not difficult at all once the accessories bolted on with the housing bolts are off.
IMO, you need to invest in a shop manual for your car in the very least.
S; big block 440. I have the 1975 FSM. I'm wondering how hard the mounting bolts will be to come off. Breaker bar time? Paul

Alan; I don't have to mess with the oil pan bolts on a 440 big block? Paul
Yes, there are two pan bolts that fasten to the timing cover.

You can see them here on the bottom lip of the timing cover.

1707165333490.png

You will have to remove those 10 bolts from the timing cover. I would be surprised if they are not easily removed. I would be sure to get a new gasket and crank shaft seal also as long as you have it apart. Not a bad job at all as long as you pay attention to detail such as lining up punch marks.
PS: use some gasket sealer where the cover meets the pan and don't over torque the pan bolts.

You will have to remove those 10 bolts from the timing cover. I would be surprised if they are not easily removed. I would be sure to get a new gasket and crank shaft seal also as long as you have it apart. Not a bad job at all as long as you pay attention to detail such as lining up punch marks.
PS: use some gasket sealer where the cover meets the pan and don't over torque the pan bolts.
Hi, just did the job, remove everything to this point, they sell a kit of 10 bolts which have the one side to help the bolts stay tight, also, If I had to do it again, I would remove more than just the 2 pan bolts, makes it easier, the bottom cover gasket makes it hard to mate the guide pins. good luck

DSC07425.JPG

Big; I just have to take those 2 oil pan bolts out, right? I don't have to lift the engine, right? cause I'm doing this in my garage. Paul

Big; I just have to take those 2 oil pan bolts out, right? I don't have to lift the engine, right? cause I'm doing this in my garage. Paul
Yes, just take the two bolts out. You don't want to loosen any of the other pan bolts.

Hi, just did the job, remove everything to this point, they sell a kit of 10 bolts which have the one side to help the bolts stay tight, also, If I had to do it again, I would remove more than just the 2 pan bolts, makes it easier, the bottom cover gasket makes it hard to mate the guide pins. good luck

View attachment 642455
Golld ; looks like the water pump housing and the air conditioner and a big steel bracket in the front all have to come out. did you remove all of these parts? Paul

I already had the ac compressor out, I'm not sure, I'll let someone with more experience answer the question, I don't want to give you false info.

Back