How do you guys feel about Paris Banning Old Cars

TheFearlessFury

Reaction score
Paris to ban all old cars from city limits starting next year | Hemmings Daily
This might be old news but what do you guys think about this? looks like Paris is planning to ban all cars built before 1997 from entering the city limits. I don't think they've made any provisions for classic cars either.

Do we have any French Members? What do you guys think about this?

Another reason to be glad I live in the US.

Looks like I won't be driving into Paris soon....

This will happen here... Just watch and see.

Looks like I won't be driving into Paris soon....

This will happen here... Just watch and see.
Lets just hope not. Would be a spot of tough luck if I finally finished restoring my Fury just to have it outlawed.

Much of the pollution there is not caused by older cars but by stinky cheeses and related farts
Can't say that didn't bring a smirk to my face.
I thought I read somewhere that it was actually better for the environment to continue using old cars rather than building new ones. With that logic Paris should ban all new cars.

there is a n exception for classic cars if they have a "card Grise".
o old daily drivers are not allowed to enter the city anymore but classics with a classic car registration can still do it.

We have something similar overhere in many big towns.

Carsten

there is a n exception for classic cars if they have a "card Grise".
o old daily drivers are not allowed to enter the city anymore but classics with a classic car registration can still do it.

We have something similar overhere in many big towns.

Carsten
Thats still too bad, I wonder if it helps at all though?

we do have them since 2008.

Do they really help?
I doubt it but depending on what kind of investigation you read the answer is sometimes "yes" and sometimes "no".
It probably has to do with what kind of pollution you look at, too.
Fine dust, NOX etc

Now, if they could just get the Motor bikes off the sidewalks so you don't have a front wheel up your Butt while walking, they would really be making progress!

Well thankfully there is always a government body looking out for the masses.

Last edited:
I can see that being some political geniuses way of solving a number of problems, including feeding the dealer's association. IDK if the US is ready for that just yet... but someday maybe... NYC or LA sound like good targets.

Well thankfully there is always a government body looking out for the masses.

Yup just like "Cash for Clunkers" great idea that was - recycle the best built cars to make Chinese tin can "Cherry"

A lot of classic cars in Europe are converted to LP gas.

A symptom of a society in search of meaning after the rejection of God... It now finds a new "faith" in the religion of Global Warming, um, I mean climate change.

The act itself?

Symbolic nonsense. The only thing preventing similar nonsense in the US? The race-bait lobby who label such moves as "unfair" to the poor and their hoopties, although like a broken clock, for once they are correct.

From what I hear, Paris ain't the best place for cars anyway.
paris-france-25th-october-2012-early-evening-car-fire-near-to-the-cm8304.jpg

As unusual as it may sound, setting fire to parked cars is a firmly entrenched way for some French to send out the old and ring in the new. According to government figures, 1,147 cars were set aflame in 2009, and 1,193 went up in flames on New Year's Eve in 2012. In the three years in between, the government didn't publish the figures in an effort to reduce the incidence of the crime.

Why do I have a feeling this new Paris tradition parallels other recent changes in French demographics? :icon_fU: Seems to me they'd get rid of a LOT MORE pollution if they'd JUST STOP SETTING CARS ON FIRE.

Conversely, my city encourages the use of old cars. It's not Paris, but we do have many French street names, restaurants with French toast & fries, and 100% fewer intentional car fires.

(2 C-bodies in the first 10 seconds)

Last edited:
have heard that there is a LOT of dogs, and thus - dog crap there. Bet that is real good for the environment - all that fecal chloroform washing into the seine.

Yup just like "Cash for Clunkers" great idea that was - recycle the best built cars to make Chinese tin can "Cherry"
Sorry but I must take a minute to rant.

Cash for clunkers was quite possibly the dumbest idea ever. All because some tree hugging member of congress though it would be a "good idea" and stimulate the economy. Clearly they failed to see the big picture. The government really dropped the ball on that one. Definitely did more harm than good. Less "old" cars on the road means auto parts stores, after market suppliers, mom and pop garages, junk yards, and any other establishment that relies on the used car market will be affected negatively. Also hurts those who wish to keep the ones that weren't destroyed going because of fewer parts available. So many quality V8 rear wheel drive cars and SUV's were destroyed without mercy just so someone could buy a **** box Kia instead. And I believe many of the vehicles that were destroyed would have easily outlasted the dull economy imports that replaced them had they not met their tragic fate. Just YouTube "cash for clunkers" sometime. And running a car at wide open throttle with paint thinner in the engine until it finally quits, yeah that's really good for the environment..

Let me get this straight...... a city that was pretty much an open sewer for years,wants ban any cars prior to 1997? Just one more reason for me not to go to Paris. Efff em.

Back