how hard is it to remove a convertible top?

dmac01

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
'69 Chrysler 300 vert...how hard is it to strip off the canvas top to get at the frame? I need to remove the frame (looks like 3 bolts per side) and have it sandblasted to remove rust on the frame runners...

I have the factory service manual but has no pics on how to remove...just curious has to the right steps. Other than take a sharp knife...

thanks,
Dave

thanks! to both :thankyou:

They are nowhere near exact however I think once you start after viewing the videos you should have some insight on the project. I am sure on "YOUTUBE" there may be other bits of info you can find.

Good luck

Paul

Almost all tops attach the same way, regardless of what brand of vehicle. You have a main attaching point just forward of the rear window and then a tack strip at the front of the top, at the very front where the hold-down latches are for the windshield header.

Rather than "sand blasted", seek out a "media blaster" that uses baking soda or plastic beads. MUCH better than sand!

IF the top is weathered/aged, it'll cut easily, I suspect. While you've got the fabric off, a good time to detail the frame and lube the pivot points.

Have fun!
CBODY67

take measurements of the distances between the bows (especially the rear) before you remove the top. there are cables on each side that screw to the side rails and go to the rear. be careful with them as they are hard to find. the front is glued to the header, the b pillars have retainers screwed on under the weatherstrip. the rear bow is stapled. the window is stapled under the top on the rear bow. the retainers along the trunk/well area hold the rest on.

Have a professional do it... sometimes you have to know your limits, and stay within them.
Just sayin'

In theory, it's an easy job to take it apart and put a new one on. The few people I know who have had a convertible they restored and did the top themselves, ALL said "Never again!" Other than keeping the frame "square", it's also easy to get the top too tight and have to start over again getting it stapled and secured.

In practice, unless you've done it a few times before, let a shop do the work. It'll cost more, but your life will be better for it.

CBODY67

thanks for all the tips! if it were not for a couple of rails rusted, I'd have a shop do the whole thing. I was hoping to just remove the canvas, rehab the rails and then have a shop put a new top on.

I am rethinking that now...might just get an estimate to have the whole thing done!

Dave

Its not that tough a job. Once you remove, repair, refinish and reinstall the frame you can run it through the raise & lower sequence to make all your adjustments without the cover installed. The cover itself is the most challenge.

ok thanks for all the replies...I think i will just take a sharp knife and perform surgery! lol. I really need to get the frame off and rehabbed...but then will have a new top installed by a shop.

ok thanks for all the replies...I think i will just take a sharp knife and perform surgery! lol. I really need to get the frame off and rehabbed...but then will have a new top installed by a shop.

Just make sure that you do not cut into the steel cables that run along the outer sides of the roof from front to back under / inside the roof pads !!!!

Back