How I had fun this weekend.

Polara_500

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Alternate title would be something like.... Don't make too many plans in advance.

Been making plans for the Mopar Show in Farmington, MN since last years show - bonus good deal this year they went to a 3 day event. So we're heading down Thursday to make sure we get the most bang for our buck as well as hopefully some good shtuff out of the swap meet when good ol' Mr Murphy reared his ugly head. Seems the water pump got tired and didn't wanna spin anymore so it spit the fan at the radiator - worked pretty well as the fan quit spinning very quickly and as soon as I figured out something went wrong I shut 'er down so then the pump got to quit spinning... Did make it halfway there before she spit up, but that still left us 150+ miles from home and it seems not many parts places stock radiators for a 65 Polara with A/C anymore - the water pump and clutch would be fairly easy and a will-fit fan woulda got me out of there but w/o a radiator we're hosed. At least with the extra day of the show I had normal "working" days to deal with pipples. Old story, get it towed to the nearest town, rent a car, drive home, get pickup and trailer, drive back down and load the mess up and head back for home - oh yeah, while we're at it let's screw up the front bumper while loading it too, (but that one's totally my fault).

Okay, the carnage.......
Fan blade's toast
upload_2017-6-3_20-34-44.png

Radiator not much better
upload_2017-6-3_20-35-18.png

Who's good at straightening?
upload_2017-6-3_20-36-5.png

That sucks Mike. I was looking forward to seeing you there. How did you screw up your bumper? I hope it's not too bad.

It's never good when that happens, especially when you aren't near home. Hope you get everything back to normal soon.

And I don't think this is gonna work on that

41R7SKa7hYL._SY300_.jpg

Alternate title would be something like.... Don't make too many plans in advance.

Been making plans for the Mopar Show in Farmington, MN since last years show - bonus good deal this year they went to a 3 day event. So we're heading down Thursday to make sure we get the most bang for our buck as well as hopefully some good shtuff out of the swap meet when good ol' Mr Murphy reared his ugly head. Seems the water pump got tired and didn't wanna spin anymore so it spit the fan at the radiator - worked pretty well as the fan quit spinning very quickly and as soon as I figured out something went wrong I shut 'er down so then the pump got to quit spinning... Did make it halfway there before she spit up, but that still left us 150+ miles from home and it seems not many parts places stock radiators for a 65 Polara with A/C anymore - the water pump and clutch would be fairly easy and a will-fit fan woulda got me out of there but w/o a radiator we're hosed. At least with the extra day of the show I had normal "working" days to deal with pipples. Old story, get it towed to the nearest town, rent a car, drive home, get pickup and trailer, drive back down and load the mess up and head back for home - oh yeah, while we're at it let's screw up the front bumper while loading it too, (but that one's totally my fault).

Okay, the carnage.......
Fan blade's toast
View attachment 126957
Radiator not much better
View attachment 126958
Who's good at straightening?
View attachment 126959
That sucks, sorry... on the road troubles are a PITA to deal with, not that this would have ever been fun.

Just terrible....at least the engine didn't suffer any major damage since you shut it down quickly.

Been trying to figure out some details and I can't remember replacing the water pump since I rebuilt the engine, if that's right, then I guess thirty years and 120K miles isn't too bad. The fan clutch is also seized pretty hard although I know that's not over 5 or 6 years old, so less than 10k miles.

What's the odds a bad fan clutch can take out the water pump, or is the clutch merely a casualty of the water pump?? Was a Hayden 2747, got the same thing to put back in there but now I'm wondering as they never seem to last like some other items in the cooling system.

On the bright side, at least it was a beautiful day, sunny and warm with a light breeze so it wasn't unpleasant while waiting for the tow truck.

Minnesota sarcasm at its finest.
Hey Now, I think it came out pretty dang good.
upload_2017-6-4_20-26-49.png

Just kidding - no way would I try straighten that thing and trust it to spin like it's supposed to......

upload_2017-6-4_20-28-2.png

So,,,, yeah, just a small attempt at humor...:lol:

No, got a couple nice straight ones out back, but the chrome's not near as nice and have to drill 'em for the bumper guards.

Ouch!!! Guard your radiators, fellas - $600 to recore one nowadays!! I think the last one I did was around 150, maybe... That has been a while though.

Ouch!!! Guard your radiators, fellas - $600 to recore one nowadays!! I think the last one I did was around 150, maybe... That has been a while though.

I'm all for the screen in front of the rad to protect against stones and bugs, but how do I do it between the fan and the rad?

Back