How many 72 Imperials are still left today to enjoy?

Don't know about the club's access...But, the DMV could probably run a report from their data of license plate applications or title transfers, etc..But, the public probably couldn't get access...

Thats not gonna show what has been sitting in a garage for 25 years

The second C body I parted out was a 72 Imperial. This was many years ago. Other than drive train I couldn't give the parts away.
My dad had a NOS 72 Hood that sat in my garage for years. No one ever wanted it. Took up to much space and got junked. Real shame

Finding out "how many registered Whatevers are left" is something you will probably never gain access to. After 9/11, US privacy laws were strengthened, and the Privacy Act of 1974 actually gained some teeth, as well as enforcement. It is impossible to call your state DMV (or equivalent) to gain that kind of information. Used to be, you could pay $X to get that. You could even get registration information on cars or trucks that were not in your name, also for a cost. No more. In fact, you can't get info on a car you USED to own anymore, through the State. You sold that '71 440+6 Challenger back in '92 and wonder where it's at? Yeah, right, sure.

I've read in several sources that in most circumstances, a particular year/make/model older than 15 model years, you can figure 10 - 15% as a good basis for total remaining, period; registered and/or stored away, but not including junked cars. With certain models, there are always exceptions. For example, all Hemicuda ragtops are accounted for. There are Viper guys that can tell you how many of what year are left, and be very close.

Back