How many 72 Imperials are still left today to enjoy?

DocMcNeedy

"Iggy my Mc-Bum-Fuk"
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
To me a scary thought...How many 72 Imperials are in garages, barns and junkyards around the world and available to be driven, saved or picked from? With their history of being discarded, derbied, crushed, neglected...what would be a good guess of a number if we could track it today?
2017-09-02 06.21.42.jpg
2017-09-02 06.21.42.jpg

Somewhere around 10% I'm guessing.

I believe there is a lot more than 157 of the 1972 Imperials still on the planet....

The second C body I parted out was a 72 Imperial. This was many years ago. Other than drive train I couldn't give the parts away. I still have about 2 or 3 boxes of parts somewhere. A guy from Penn called me wanting to buy the car. I told him I had no title & the car was badly rusted & no engine. He said he didn't care. Sure enough a few days later he showed up with a dually & trailer & cash. Off it went. I couldn't believe it. I now know he was a demo guy. This was 25 plus years ago.

I believe there is a lot more than 157 of the 1972 Imperials still on the planet....

I agree with Bob, no one will know for certain but that number has to be much higher, although the generally accepted number of old cars is 10% as a rule of thumb.
Imperials however were usually taken care of more than other cars .

The Imp's were driven a lot less frequently. They were estate, fleet, Doctor, lawyer, politician owned a lot more than the rest of the 1972 Mopar's. I will go out on a limb and still think there are a number of Imp's in pristine condition stored away with a 1/4" of dust and haven't moved since the late 80's through the 90's.

I agree with Bob, no one will know for certain but that number has to be much higher, although the generally accepted number of old cars is 10% as a rule of thumb.
Imperials however were usually taken care of more than other cars .

+/- on that theory. To some extent I agree, but the wealthy dump their cars quickly and they filter down to the can't-afford-to-maintain crowd faster than something middle-of-road. I believe the ones unrestored in 2017 were usually a seniors last "treat myself" car they had saved-up for years to buy, vs. J.P. Moneybottom's 2-year trade in.

[QUOTE="DocMcNeedy, How many 72 Imperials are in garages, barns and junkyards around the world and available to be driven, saved or picked from?QUOTE]

I have no idea, but I'm chasing after a nice 72 coupe right now.

+/- on that theory. To some extent I agree, but the wealthy dump their cars quickly and they filter down to the can't-afford-to-maintain crowd faster than something middle-of-road. I believe the ones unrestored in 2017 were usually a seniors last "treat myself" car they had saved-up for years to buy, vs. J.P. Moneybottom's 2-year trade in.
I don't think The Greatest Generation dumped their cars, especially the wealthy ones, that's how they got so rich. Seems like the best ones available are "purchased from the estate of the original owner". How many more are left would be dependent on how many of that generation are still around into their 90s.

Isn't there an Imperial Club that has kept records?
Don't know about the club's access...But, the DMV could probably run a report from their data of license plate applications or title transfers, etc..But, the public probably couldn't get access...

Back