How many were sold??

65Coronet7165

Reaction score
Just curious, anyone know how many Sport Furies were sold in 1967 vs. Chrysler 300. To me, they're pretty equivalent equipment wise except the 67 300 had the 440 standard. Trim wise they're very similar.
While I'm on the subject, anyone know the. Number of 440 4bbls versus 440 TNT/Super Ccmmandos??

Seems like that any Chrysler production records for C-body vehicles were probably destroyed before the cars reached their current popularity? Rather than units produced with certain options, a "% of production" for the particular options might have been kept? Absent this data, speculation.

By observation, MUCH more information is around for the B and E-body cars. With their several "! of __" combinations. They were shown "the first love" in the area of production figures for cars and optional combinations thereof, as I recall.

GM carlines seemed to keep better production records, but even they trashed files when they needed additional space for newer vehicle information. A LOT of Buick history was initially found in a dumpster, then retrieved and saved by interested operatives, for example.

The Chrysler Corp production figures for the individual models might exist, but probably little else, as evidenced by the figures in "The Standard Book of Chrysler". Other sources?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

67 chrysler 300 2dr hrdtp....11556 cars.
67 plymouth sf 2dr hrdtp plus fasttop 28448 cars.

Seems like that any Chrysler production records for C-body vehicles were probably destroyed before the cars reached their current popularity? Rather than units produced with certain options, a "% of production" for the particular options might have been kept? Absent this data, speculation.

By observation, MUCH more information is around for the B and E-body cars. With their several "! of __" combinations. They were shown "the first love" in the area of production figures for cars and optional combinations thereof, as I recall.

GM carlines seemed to keep better production records, but even they trashed files when they needed additional space for newer vehicle information. A LOT of Buick history was initially found in a dumpster, then retrieved and saved by interested operatives, for example.

The Chrysler Corp production figures for the individual models might exist, but probably little else, as evidenced by the figures in "The Standard Book of Chrysler". Other sources?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

the true #s were listed in the option and accessory sales reports generated by the accounting department after the model years production ended. the reason that these #s can differ from the official production #s is that it wasnt out of the ordinary for them to only count production up to a certain date even tho production kept on longer.

there was no fire and no records were burnt up, after a number of years the accounting dept would simply purge the reports.

the reports give the # of cars/models and a % equipped with a certain option or colour.
for instance they dont give how many 1970 green U code newport convertibles with a/c & pw made
the reports would give how many green newport convertibles made, or how many with a U code, or how many with a/c but not how many with all these options

Last edited:
This is the only page I have ever seen from one of the Options and Accessories Reports. It does not give information on the combos. This is only one page of a much larger report.
5P7A4745.JPG

Alan

there was a lot less 67 300 rags made and even lees 67 300 rags with a tnt 440 package , here's a gold one i had (that air cleaner should be gray) . still have a silver one .

DSC03345.JPG

DSC03351.JPG

DSC03354.JPG

DSC07320.JPG

DSC03357.JPG

Scan0038_0038.jpg

Scan0041_0041.jpg

With the number of options you had to choose from, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a bunch of cars that were actually unique--1 of 1.
I miss those days, but it must have been a nightmare for manufacturing.

With the number of options you had to choose from, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a bunch of cars that were actually unique--1 of 1.
I miss those days, but it must have been a nightmare for manufacturing.
That is the beauty of the Mopars, especially C bodies.
We got options that were not available on A abd B cars.
As long as you had the cash, just tick off the right options on the order sheet!
Sales Bank cars on the other hand, dealershipps would order a bunch of cars with the same options and sell them off in a promotion or local radio/ tv ads.

What got Chrysler into financial trouble were Sales Bank cars which were used to keep the production lines running and keep the plants profitable. BUT such cars might not always be the most popular options, but odd-ball color combinations and such that they had to sell at well below factory cost just to get them to dealers. Cars which vanished after they were first sold, never to reappear again, until they got to a salvage yard, got discovered, and somebody said "I've never seen one like that".

The OTHER thing about C-body cars is that by a normal standard MANY would be considered "rare" if the sale production level had been in a GM or Ford car. ANY '65 or '66 Town Sedan body style, for example. ANY convertible. Many Fast Top 2dr hardtops, too. From there, you can continue on to optional engines, 4-speeds (although for most people, a TF was a better choice), bucket seats and center cushion on non-sporty models, and then into the various color combinations. NOT to forget Magnum 500 wheels, either.

End result, C-bodies could well be the King of One Of ______ Chrysler Corp vehicles.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

About 35 years ago, in an OKC junkyard, I came across a 1968 Dart 270, which was the strangest Dart I've seen. It had a red painted body with a painted white roof - with a blue interior! I looked at the data plate, and it was legit! It was a 225 automatic car with AM and heater. Very little else! Somewhere in my vast archives of actual photographs, I probably have this in there.

Guaranteed "one of one", but who would've ordered that in the first place?

When I was working for a Buick dealer in 1978, a lady came in with the weirdest request - she wanted a dark green metallic Riviera with red interior; or a red car with green leather. She had a Christmas store that was open most of the year. She was quite persuasive, as the GM got involved. He actually called Buick in Detroit and asked the Big Kahunas there if they would build it. They recommended "Have the customer put 100% down, and we'll build it, if she is that insistent!" So, the customer and the salesman spec'd the car out, and she got a price quoted. The factory gave an estimated delivery date of eight weeks. She was ecstatic! It ended up the car was done in less than a month. She got a delivery date. She was at the dealership as the car arrived on the transport, green and red, as she ordered it! Another "one of one" example that only one or two people would even want to order/own.

Ford/Lincoln/Mercury folks have it sooooo easy! They can get a Marti Report (or a Deluxe Marti Report) that tells the owner everything they'd ever want about their car or truck. The provider of these reports (a guy named Marti, who is a bodyman, by trade) acquired all of the production info directly from FoMoCo for the years 1966 - 2017 (or so), which tells you the order date, SPD, actual production date, shipping date, and if the order was produced ahead or behind schedule. Lots more, too. What dealer ordered it and what sales zone, assembly plant...very cool what the Ford guys can get! All with the official blessing of Ford.

Last edited:
Given the number of body styles, drive trains, colors, and misc options possible and low production numbers, one of one is, frankly, no big deal and vastly overhyped.

Usually, the number of possible combinations exceeds the number made.

Unless they are package cars (Hursts, AAR/TAs, Superbirds) it’s far harder to find two cars exactly alike than a one of one. Most “unicorns “ are just a horse with a glued on horn.

In the Chevy Dealer Order Guides I had access to in the late '70s-late '90s, they had "approved color/trim combinations" which took zone approval to get built. Most were things no normal customer would want anyway, but they wanted to prevent a "dealer mistake" in ordering.

There came to be some "unofficial bundles" (i.e., cruise control and tilt wheel, power windows and door locks, power steering and brakes) which generally made sense and were very saleable. But in the more rural areas, you'd find cars with power steering but not power brakes, for example, so we had to be careful in dealer-trading with those dealers until the general clientel got young enough to also order power brakes, unless they were standard. Which, in earlier times, was where the Factory Accessory packages for power brakes, add-on a/c, and upgraded radios came in. In the earlier 1970s, after GM went with windshield antennas, then the dealer would order the car with a "radio prep package" (windshield with the windshield antenna in it, with the antenna lead connector attached) so then they could install ANY radio available for the customer. More flexibility which also put some more money into the service/make ready departments. Just that in many cases, the radios were not Delco radios. BTAIM

Imagine all of the comments from the assy line people who built that "Christmas color" car. I suspect it might have "made their day"? The "factory comment" about getting the car fully paid for up front was more to protect the dealer than the manufacturer. So that the car would be sold and not sit on a dealer's lot accruing floorplan interest doing so, until it might be sold, otherwise.

Any idea what might have happened to the car later on?

CBODY67

I know there was a note in the glove box that said "Dear Customer, Merry Christmas!" so yep, it was definitely noticed on the line.

Just curious, anyone know how many Sport Furies were sold in 1967 vs. Chrysler 300. To me, they're pretty equivalent equipment wise except the 67 300 had the 440 standard. Trim wise they're very similar.
While I'm on the subject, anyone know the. Number of 440 4bbls versus 440 TNT/Super Ccmmandos??
Information on cars sold in Canada exists. Sort of. It's broken down by the model but not to the bodystyle. U.S. information is even more vague. Good information doesn't start until 1968.

Back