How much to pay for a factory AC setup - '68 300

barsteel

Reaction score
Hello -

Someone removed ALL of the under hood AC equipment from my '68 300 before I got the car.

I'd love to replace it, but I have NO idea what I should pay for an AC setup. I know, it's kind of like asking "how long is a piece of string", but I have no idea what to offer if I find one.

I'm sure that they're not that easy to find, but then again, there isn't a ton of demand for the parts, and there's no guarantee that anything I buy will be in working order.

I ran an ad on Craig's List, and got one response. They guy wanted $600 for the parts in unknown working condition, which struck me as a lot.

Thoughts?

Chris

Are the heat/A.C. controls, box, well basically everything, aft of the firewall still intact?

Are the heat/A.C. controls, box, well basically everything, aft of the firewall still intact?

Yep! If you have that, call Bouchillon and get the bits and pieces to put a new rotary compressor and crossflow condenser in. The old stuff isn't worth screwing with.

Of course... If you are still selling the car, this stuff will not look "factory". That may make a difference to some potential buyers.

The evaporator will certainly need some sort of housing. I have yet to find a source for a complete kit to fit an AC car. If you shop the swap meets, a box may sometimes be had for $100 or less.

Unfortunately, the owner also cut off the two copper tubes going into the firewall flush with the firewall. Sorry, don't know if that's the condenser(?), but whatever it is, it will have to be replaced. Looks like a heater core. Everything else, ie. controls, etc, appears to be intact.

Chris

sorry for the ignorance, but what do you mean by "the box"? Under dash? Nothing appears to been messed with under the dash.

If you look on the Cars For Sale forum, you'll see my car about halfway down the page, '68 300. There are pics of the engine compartment in that posting.

Yeah, I'm trying to sell it, but I can't just leave well enough alone. The old boat is growing on me...

Chris

Unfortunately, the owner also cut off the two copper tubes going into the firewall flush with the firewall. Sorry, don't know if that's the condenser(?), but whatever it is, it will have to be replaced. Looks like a heater core. Everything else, ie. controls, etc, appears to be intact.

Chris

attachment.php

The pic says you still have hoses going to your heater core so he sawed off the evaporator fittings.
You're going to have to drop the big black box with the the gazillion thingies in the way to replace the evaporator and heater core. Very expensive. Very labor intensive.
Add that to everything that you need under the hood, well it's going to be very expensive.
I'd sell the car, take the loss and buy a decent car with a.c. for about the same money.

AND I'll buy the air cleaner off of you. Been looking for that one.

The muscle car guy in me says A/C will just slow it down looks like you have a strong healthy 440 there. It just wouldn't be worth the effort to buy and install everything that is needed for A/C just my opinion.

Thanks for all the input. I'm not dead set on having AC, I just figured that I might be able to find someone with a parts car that still had everything in place that they'd let for $150 or so. If it's going to develop into a huge ordeal that will cost me hundreds or thousands of dollars, I'll just go without. It's not, and has never been a deal breaker for me.

The floor vent system works very well, and when you combine that with the wing vent windows, the car actually stays pretty cool as long as you're moving.

If I can get close to what I want, I'll just keep it. Like I said, it's growing on me. Love having that huge hood stretching out in front, and it's sure as hell a lot more comfortable and attention getting than a Civic.

Chris

In my experience, you're looking at $1000 to $1200 or so. If you do the work yourself. I won't lie. It's a big project for anyone who's never done one before. It's a big project for someone who has, too.

I had all the under hood parts out of a '68 Chrysler a year ago and it took me a while to give the compressor away for the cost of shipping.

Thanks for all the input. I'm not dead set on having AC, I just figured that I might be able to find someone with a parts car that still had everything in place that they'd let for $150 or so. If it's going to develop into a huge ordeal that will cost me hundreds or thousands of dollars, I'll just go without. It's not, and has never been a deal breaker for me.

The floor vent system works very well, and when you combine that with the wing vent windows, the car actually stays pretty cool as long as you're moving.

If I can get close to what I want, I'll just keep it. Like I said, it's growing on me. Love having that huge hood stretching out in front, and it's sure as hell a lot more comfortable and attention getting than a Civic.

Chris

I think finding a parts car is the way to go. You could then take your time, and re-install the missing A/C pieces. I just don't understand why some people butcher up a car in this manner. Its a cruiser - not a Ronnie Sox drag racer. Also, what are ya gonna do to get yer defroster to work properly without the A/C ?

I had the same problem with mine. Some owner in its past had taken all the A/C parts from under the hood and had twisted off the evaporator lines where they went into the firewall.

BTW, the coil under the dash is the evaporator and the one in front of the radiator is the condenser.

I found a replacement evaporator on ebay and that worked for me. I don't know what you have to do to pull the heater box on your car, but it will have to come apart to change the evap. That is really the hardest part. The rest is simple stuff to bolt on. If you use the Bouchillion stuff, you will need someone to crimp the hoses, but that's not too hard to find.

I'm getting pretty good at it myself. It's not hard. It does take some effort and time. Hey, it sounds like he actually has a useable box under the dash after all. That will help to cut the costs considerably! The box in my convertible is so rotten from mouse-housing that it will probably need to be replaced by a donor. Difference is, these are cars I'm keeping and will drive. They will all have working AC, even the convertible. If I was selling them, I'd have to consider return on investment!

I'm willing to bet he's totally demotivated about putting in A/C at this point.

It wouldn't have been so bad if the PO hadn't FUBAR'd the evaporator. By the time you buy all the stuff to resurrect the original A/C, you can buy a complete Vintage Air Heat and A/C kit that will replace the house furnace that is under the dash for about $800.

IF he could find all the under hood stuff for cheap (like $100), a new evaporator/heater core can be had for $399 Canadian from Nigel at National Moparts but even then after you add in a new dryer and hoses the Vintage Air still seems like a better option.

http://nationalmoparts.com/parts-ca...eV1_WIDE.tpl&product_id=6185&category_id=1495

Kevin

I have most of the 68 system still here including the under box unit, the only part missing is the pipework that laid across the engine as another member here bought that. $100 and its all yours, oh and when I pulled it apart the gas still hissed a little. I'm in NC.

Back