How to mount a fan shroud?

BigblueC

Reaction score
Guys I bought a fan shroud from Davescuda and I'm looking to install it this weekend but I can't find any specs/examples of how to mount the brackets to the radiator. I assume some type of cage nut, but I can't find any examples/specs of what will fit the slots properly. If anybody can help me out here I'd appreciate it.

Car is a 65' with the 22" radiator.

On the sides of your rad are what's known as the side straps, which are soldered in place at the top and bottom tanks. They each have two sets of slots in which the cage nuts sit around their mid points. The cage nuts are 1/4 20 thread if I recall correctly and are available on eBay or from most Mopar resto parts suppliers - ask for B body rad shroud cage nuts - like these:

Cooling System - Misc Heating Cooling - 62-79 Mopar A B E Body Cuda 22 Inch Fan Shroud OEM Cage Nuts and Bolts - 62-79, Mopar, A, B, E, Body, Cuda, 22, Inch, Fan, Shroud, OEM, Cage, Nuts, and, Bolts,

When the rad was assembled at the factory, cars with shrouds had the nuts placed during assembly - in your case you have to place one end of the nut in the slot at an angle and snap/twist them in. If they won't go you have to undo the solder mounts for the side straps at the top tank and put them in the way they done originally then resolder the straps back in place.

Last edited:
Thanks Ross, I appreciate your level of detail. Looks like this wont be getting done this weekend. I'm going to order the proper cage nuts and hope I can get them in without pulling the radiator.

Saylor, I looked at some of those server rack cage nuts at the hardware store and while I think they might could be modified to work, I think they would allow too much movement as they are square and the factory slots are rectangular (there would be about a 1/2" vertical travel).

Back