Howdy! Need help. Considering a 66 300 4dr hard top.

Laramie

Reaction score
So, I'm an ebody guy.

Help me out.

Where do these cars rust? What's the problem areas? And how often do you see a front 66 300 bumper with a rust hole in it?

Thanks!

I have 2 1966's 2 DR Hardtops that spent the majority of their lives on baldass prairie so salt air was not a concern but the majority of the rust damage was winter salt related. Rear quarters around the wheels, fender skirts rockers and door edges. Top half of the cars were rock solid. No idea where Colorful is but I can tell you that both of these cars are in much better natural condition then my 78-79 Cordobas which are disolving rapidly even in our dry western climate. Welcome and hopefully you choose to go with a '66!

The worst places are lower rear quarters, trunk floor, interior floors, rear wheelwells and skirts, around the rear window and upper trunk lip, left side firewall, lower/back of the front fenders, front edge of the hood and around the front windshield and cowl. Not all of them rust in all those places naturally (unless they are from somewhere like Michigan, Ill, Ohio, Minnesota, New York... ect :eek:ccasion14:)

Agree with everything the guys have said. I would be concerned with the hole in the front bumper. I would guess the rest would be bad too. Not a normal problem area.

Colorful Colorado. South of Big Wonderful Wyo.

The car is originally from Chicago, but has 38000 mi. Never been apart and sounded like a garage queen kept on the farm. However, once I finally get in touch with the old man who has it, he says there is a rust hole in the front bumper...

Interior is excellent from pictures. 440 car. Decent options. Body is straight, but there is some mystery bondo in the right rear quarter as well.

Sadly, it is 6 hours away and I am kinda losing hope i should buy it. Even at under 3k.

Thanks for the comments. I think I am going to keep looking. I am holding out for the right 60 and 66 Chrysler.

Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Any pics of the car in question?

That's my kinda iron alright. Too many doors for me but still great example of the brand. Money seems right for a 440 car. Did you get a shot of the fender tag? Looks like a fairly light load and the front bumpers not to hard to find. I've spent more on less car than this then again I have an addiction to them so .....anyone else?

I would agree with Dobalovr, you could certainly do much worse. Bumper could have been simply a defective chrome job from the factory. If the only rust other then the bumper is in the rear quarters, you probably won't find much better in this price range. Classic cars will almost always need work. If you find one that doesn't, you're going to pay and pay well. One warning with c-body's is that finding sheet metal is a challenge. http://www.c2cfabrication.com/collections/all/chrysler+300+1966 makes trunk and floor pans but quarters, doors, rockers, fenders are usually junk yard finds. Rare cases you may find NOS but that would be a long shot. Most guys fabricate repair panels for the rusted areas.

I'd be all over that if it had power windows, power vents, some color on the body, I had the room, it was closer etc...

Have you decided that you don't want it?

Yes. From talking to the owner, there is too much rust and too many old repairs in it for me. If it was closer to me or had fewer doors I might still take a chance... but I can't drive 14 hours for an unlikely buy.

Makes me sad though. From the story, I suspect that there is a LOT of old body work hidden in the car that they don't know about.

Back