I’ve got a sinking feeling...... ELB TQ

Carb in and runs as before... which is to say .... very well. She still has that feeling of a slight miss or one weak cylinder but it’s not the carb. Pulls a little stronger and smoother off the line but only just....

No leaks so far after one full warm up cycle.

I’ll check again tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
Two more minor issues to report.

The A/C compressor seal ( where the high side line mounts to the head) finally developed enough of a leak to let the gas out to trip the pressure sensor.

Will need to get a new seal and some Freon. No big deal.

Noticed that the linkage to the cruise control was loose. Something there to look at once I sort the pickup coil issue.

A Beautiful Mind...
And a funny idea of what a spring/shock absorber looks like...
9307eace-d161-4909-ac15-dee26ee34089-jpeg.jpg

I'm sure javier will surprise us all, his car will be wonderful when fully sorted.

Go Javier :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
It will be no surprise... the "Don't tell my wife" thread and other little ones all add up to giant PITA and $$ to get there... should be required reading before purchase.

Having just read the recipe courtesy of Google, I'll leave it for you Canadians. I'll stick with beer.

Cheers :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

John you haven’t truly been Canucked until you try one. They were actually invented by a bartender in the very hotel you are staying in while in town.

Ok mate, I'll try one for my newfound Canadian friends

Fiona just mentioned screechng in, apparently a Newfoundland tradition of sculling rum. Also kissing a cod which sounds like fun lol, thx Graham for mentioning that. :lol::thumbsup: :wtf:

Does anyone collect foreign mopar literature as I can see what the Christchurch dealer may have?

Wikipedia says invented in 1969 by bartender Walter Chell at the Calgary Inn, now Westin - will be interesting anyway.

Last edited:
Just arrived today. NOS bowl for my ELB TQ. Mine is not leaking but it is weeping a bit. I suspect a hairline coming off the main jet insert on the right side.

C58D41BB-F35A-4F24-80D6-185A50434373.jpeg

Came with the correct original zip kit.

I’m chasing a low RPM vibration and need to make sure it’s not an imbalance in the carb.

Symptoms are:

Low RPM strumming vibration (not a miss) when engine in gear and A/C compressor engaged.

A little throttle and vibration almost disappears.

Disengage A/C compressor and vibration persists at a lower amplitude.

Release throttle to idle at speed and vibration returns. Requires acceleration level of throttle to quell.

As I said, I don’t think the issue is in either the carb or ignition but.... I’m almost there (high level of tune and operation ) and want to remove any collateral possibilities before I dig into the engine.

Wish me luck.

Last edited:
Just arrived today. NOS bowl for my ELB TQ. Mine is not leaking but it is weeping a bit. I suspect a hairline coming off the main jet insert on the right side.

View attachment 222341
Came with the correct original zip kit.

I’m chasing a low RPM vibration and need to make sure it’s not an imbalance in the carb.

Symptoms are:

Low RPM strumming vibration (not a miss) when engine in gear and A/C compressor engaged.

A little throttle and vibration almost disappears.

Disengage A/C compressor and vibration persists at a lower amplitude.

Release throttle to idle at speed and vibration returns. Requires acceleration level of throttle to quell.

As I said, I don’t think the issue is in either the carb or ignition but.... I’m almost there (high level of tune and operation ) and want to remove any collateral possibilities before I dig into the engine.

Wish me luck.
That could be a tight exhaust pipe or several other things transmitting the vibration. Sometimes we'd get one where we would put the car on a drive on lift, loosen the engine mounts, exhaust connections, and anything else that may give a firm pressure to the engine (hard lines) and then after it all got to settle, retorque.

Before chasing inside the engine try this... http://ctoprework.lms.nnanet.com/Tech/NoiseVibrationHarshnessTextSection_Sept2011.pdf Pay attention to the use of the sirometer and the frequency math formulas...

A fella like you could be amused for some time, creating a frequency chart to track the offending vibration to the causal component. :lol:

If it does turn out to be a "normal" vibration... remember the manufacturers sometimes hang weight to change the frequencies into a range where they won't offend the occupants of the car during expected operating conditions. Ford seems to do that more than most, there would be dumbbells hanging from the exhaust and weights all over the vehicle to counter act vibrations... these kind of parts are often not reinstalled by whomever is working on the vehicle, because they appear to serve no function.

I would have given up when I saw the TQ, plain and simple. I would have followed Stan's advice and swapped out that carb long ago, but then I wouldn't know the fun(?) of rebuilding multiple carbs to get that just right, factory correct package, which I do appreciate. I have nowhere near the patience level you have, Javier

I would have given up when I saw the TQ, plain and simple. I would have followed Stan's advice and swapped out that carb long ago, but then I wouldn't know the fun(?) of rebuilding multiple carbs to get that just right, factory correct package, which I do appreciate. I have nowhere near the patience level you have, Javier
More stubborn than patient. But thanks.

Interesti
That could be a tight exhaust pipe or several other things transmitting the vibration. Sometimes we'd get one where we would put the car on a drive on lift, loosen the engine mounts, exhaust connections, and anything else that may give a firm pressure to the engine (hard lines) and then after it all got to settle, retorque.

Before chasing inside the engine try this... http://ctoprework.lms.nnanet.com/Tech/NoiseVibrationHarshnessTextSection_Sept2011.pdf Pay attention to the use of the sirometer and the frequency math formulas...

A fella like you could be amused for some time, creating a frequency chart to track the offending vibration to the causal component. :lol:

If it does turn out to be a "normal" vibration... remember the manufacturers sometimes hang weight to change the frequencies into a range where they won't offend the occupants of the car during expected operating conditions. Ford seems to do that more than most, there would be dumbbells hanging from the exhaust and weights all over the vehicle to counter act vibrations... these kind of parts are often not reinstalled by whomever is working on the vehicle, because they appear to serve no function.

Interesting read Cantflip. Not my first vibration issue which is why I like your parallel theory that it might be the mounts, exhaust or other hard point connection to the engine.

Was looking at the 440 in the ‘73 wagon and it moves around pretty good with little or no perceptible vibration in the car. As you know, that car’s motor mounts are pads and not the more modern spool type in the NYB.

If I were to guess right now, I would say it’s an exhaust valve that’s burned or not fully opening. The change in throttle changing the amplitude points to it. So... after looosening the mounts and making sure they’re not binding....

I’ll start with a load diagnostic first (also a previous suggestion from you.... and a good one) then a leak down of the suspected cylinder(s)....While also checking harmonic balancer is not slipped, valve/rocker travel for cam and lifter and that pushrod(s) are not bent.

I can do all this with just taking off the rocker covers.

But carb comes first just to make sure that’s not it.

This is, after all, the carb thread. So I’ll follow up with the non carb issues on the main thread for this car.

As I said..... wish me luck!

Javier.

Last edited:
Back