I am at a Crossroads

rkrochen

Reaction score
After several years of many different challenges I find myself at a Crossroad of life. Looking to the future I am trying to determine what this may look like and what is the best way to get there. With this in mind I may consider selling my convertible to allow the next caretaker an opportunity to enjoy it and enhance it. This is a tough decision that I haven’t made yet but it is on the table for consideration.
I have a couple of questions that I wanted to bounce by the group to aid me in my decision.
First of all I have no idea what the value of the car is. It has had considerable work done to it and is in great shape. Having said that it needs a few things to be a “trailer queen type of show car”. I actually prefer it as a daily driver.
Secondly what type of forum is the best way to sell it. I am considering a platform like Bring a Trailer.
The car is a 66 Plymouth Sport Fury and is one of 3418 made. Equipped with a poly 318 and 727 auto trans. Full body restoration and paint. New interior and top.
Power windows, variable speed wipers, power drum brakes, power steering.
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Thanks

IMG_4829.jpeg

IMG_1450.jpeg

IMG_0362.jpeg

IMG_1203.jpeg

IMG_1087.jpeg

IMG_1206.jpeg

I have to ask - what factor is working against you keeping the car?

a) your age (or ability to actually drive the car)
b) the ongoing cost to keep the car safe and sound AND to drive it occasionally

Is passing the car down to family a possiblity?

Is it more important that the car gets a good home, vs you needing to convert it to $$$ for one reason or another?

If I knew a son or daughter or grandkid or nephew would be a responsible and eager owner, it wouldn't matter to me how much they paid me for the car. But that's just me. I would prefer that route for my car, when the time comes.

After several years of many different challenges I find myself at a Crossroad of life. Looking to the future I am trying to determine what this may look like and what is the best way to get there. With this in mind I may consider selling my convertible to allow the next caretaker an opportunity to enjoy it and enhance it. This is a tough decision that I haven’t made yet but it is on the table for consideration.
I have a couple of questions that I wanted to bounce by the group to aid me in my decision.
First of all I have no idea what the value of the car is. It has had considerable work done to it and is in great shape. Having said that it needs a few things to be a “trailer queen type of show car”. I actually prefer it as a daily driver.
Secondly what type of forum is the best way to sell it. I am considering a platform like Bring a Trailer.
The car is a 66 Plymouth Sport Fury and is one of 3418 made. Equipped with a poly 318 and 727 auto trans. Full body restoration and paint. New interior and top.
Power windows, variable speed wipers, power drum brakes, power steering.
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Thanks

View attachment 660967

View attachment 660968

View attachment 660969

View attachment 660970

View attachment 660971

View attachment 660972
FWIW, there was a similar thread with a '65 Sport Fury and my thoughts are $25K USD... and that's ~34K CDN. My advice was to start at $40K CDN and you can always come down, but you can't go up.

65 Sport Fury Convertible WIW

I have to ask - what factor is working against you keeping the car?

a) your age (or ability to actually drive the car)
b) the ongoing cost to keep the car safe and sound AND to drive it occasionally

Is passing the car down to family a possiblity?

Is it more important that the car gets a good home, vs you needing to convert it to $$$ for one reason or another?

If I knew a son or daughter or grandkid or nephew would be a responsible and eager owner, it wouldn't matter to me how much they paid me for the car. But that's just me. I would prefer that route for my car, when the time comes.
There are a number of factors that are all contributing to this. I have had some health issues which I believe are resolved now.
My age is quickly sneaking up on me and it’s presented some challenges along the way. Still no issues driving it though.
Costs are definitely a concern especially with our horrible government and their total disregard to our money.
A big factor is we are gearing up to move to Mexico and the car doesn’t fit into the big picture.
I wish I had an opportunity to give it to someone close but due to lack of finances to operate, ability to take care of it or age of the grandkids this isn’t an option.

Not an easy decision.

I agree. I sold three beauties that I loved. Two because I couldn't take all three then the last one because of a stack of unforseen circumstances so I speak of recent experience. I thought I'd be fine, I'm not. It's easy to do, not easy to get it back.
Good luck sir.

From my experience of making the wrong decision 100% of the time, keep the car. You'll thank all of us later.

Edit: In Mexico, you'll be with people, who wax their 50's/60's daily drivers every day.

From my experience of making the wrong decision 100% of the time, keep the car. You'll thank all of us later.

Edit: In Mexico, you'll be with people, who wax their 50's/60's daily drivers every day.
Not sure I can fit it in my busy schedule. Need to make sure I alot enough time to sit at the beach and drink beer.
All joking aside it is a good option and would give me something to do.

I agree it’s just a hassle getting it there otherwise it would be a slam dunk.
This seems to be coming more and more common that Canadians are looking to get out of the mess we find our Country in. I have been thinking more and more about moving southward. I can sympathize with your struggle about keeping the Fury but after having big regrets after "Giving away" some beloved vehicles I suggest you find a temporary home for it with a caretaker until you are settled in Mexico then come back and have the drive back to really enjoy it.

This seems to be coming more and more common that Canadians are looking to get out of the mess we find our Country in. I have been thinking more and more about moving southward. I can sympathize with your struggle about keeping the Fury but after having big regrets after "Giving away" some beloved vehicles I suggest you find a temporary home for it with a caretaker until you are settled in Mexico then come back and have the drive back to really enjoy it.
Yes there are lots of Canadians making the move. Americans are doing the same thing because we are all trying to escape the bad situations here. I track all our costs by month and it is significantly cheaper to live there. We have purchased land and are looking to build later this year. We have also started our residency and have year one done so we are well under way. Our long term plan is to spend up to 8 months there and then travel the rest of the time.

Don't know what part of Mexico you are headed for but a buddy of mine winters in Mazatlan and drives down from Moose Jaw every year and trailers his motorcycle with him.

You could Uhaul trailer it close to your crossing point then drive it the rest of the way and then fly that short hop back to get you "main" vehicle and drive it down, unless you have lots of help, then drive them both from the border.

Kevin

Don't know what part of Mexico you are headed for but a buddy of mine winters in Mazatlan and drives down from Moose Jaw every year and trailers his motorcycle with him.

You could Uhaul trailer it close to your crossing point then drive it the rest of the way and then fly that short hop back to get you "main" vehicle and drive it down, unless you have lots of help, then drive them both from the border.

Kevin
Heading to Peurtos Morelos which is located between Cancun and Playa del Carmen. The problem is permitting for the car. Each state has its own rules which causes some confusion. I can get it there but I need to follow exact procedures that may or may not be exact (it’s Mexico). If I don’t do it right I need to take it out of country every 6 months and then re-enter. As you can see it’s not easy. Even if I do I would likely trailer it and from here it’s a very long trip. Also I couldn’t do it until we get our place built because I don’t have room for it at our son’s house.
It’s a problem that if I overcome will be well worth it.

Heading to Peurtos Morelos which is located between Cancun and Playa del Carmen. The problem is permitting for the car. Each state has its own rules which causes some confusion. I can get it there but I need to follow exact procedures that may or may not be exact (it’s Mexico). If I don’t do it right I need to take it out of country every 6 months and then re-enter. As you can see it’s not easy. Even if I do I would likely trailer it and from here it’s a very long trip. Also I couldn’t do it until we get our place built because I don’t have room for it at our son’s house.
It’s a problem that if I overcome will be well worth it.
What about the possibility of storing it somewhere in the US? Too expensive? I know a place in Charlotte, NC that sells collectible cars but also keeps cars in storage for local owners, esp. in winter. I have seen cars sitting there indoors, batteries on a trickle charger. Perhaps with the money you save by moving south something like that might be an option. Fly in every once in a while and drive it around. Then when you are settled down south just ship it (to the US-Mexico border?) or drive it. I know. It’s easy for someone else with no financial stake to make such a suggestion.

Back