I can't find where to add power steering

brandvdub

Reaction score
Hi, I recently purchased a 66 Newport and I can’t seem to find where I add power steering fluid. If someone help me out can add a picture of the location that would be great.

IMG_4069.jpeg

Hi, I recently purchased a 66 Newport and I can’t seem to find where I add power steering fluid. If someone help me out can add a picture of the location that would be great.

View attachment 644614
Facing the engine, right hand side. You'll see the power steering pump. (white arrow in picture) Unscrew the top and add fluid. DO NOT OVERFILL! Get it so it just comes up into neck section on the top when cold. Run it and check again when it's hot it should be about 1/2 up the neck.

People will tell you that you can use transmission fluid, and while I really don't want to (and won't) get into that discussion, it's best to use Power steering fluid".

steering.jpg

I'm going to also suggest you get a service manual. You can download a version here: Service Manuals – MyMopar

Facing the engine, right hand side. You'll see the power steering pump. (white arrow in picture) Unscrew the top and add fluid. DO NOT OVERFILL! Get it so it just comes up into neck section on the top when cold. Run it and check again when it's hot it should be about 1/2 up the neck.

People will tell you that you can use transmission fluid, and while I really don't want to (and won't) get into that discussion, it's best to use Power steering fluid".

View attachment 644618

I'm going to also suggest you get a service manual. You can download a version here: Service Manuals – MyMopar
Thank you for your help! I'll get on this in the AM!

If you can’t find a place to put fluid, you may not even have power steering. Being a Newport, that is very much within the realm of possibility.
Travis..

It appears that there is a leak coming from where the hose is connected. Do you have any ideas on how to fix this or what part is needed?

IMG_4582.jpeg

Looks like a makeshift mount setup on a newer style PS pump. The 1966 PS box and pump should have a 5/8" return hose, and the pump you have uses the small return hose. Look for an adapter inline.

The hose on the pump should seal done with a clamp, so the hose could be old and hardened, or damaged on the end. Remove it and see if it is pliable, if so then cut the end off and put it back on. If it's hard replace the hose.

I've had 2 hi pressure hoses blow out on the freeway on road trips in hot weather. Was using ATF in the systems.

Back