I finally got one!

The_Eagles’_Nest

Reaction score
I finally bought a 1972 Imperial in Ohio. I will be bringing it home on Saturday. The plan is to rebuild the 440 and TorqueFlite, then make the outside presentable. It will be for special family occasions and outings.

I can’t wait to get everything going with it. It will be fun.

3F70F673-D836-4228-9EA3-E80F5929DA47.jpeg

D7E838B6-EA33-495A-85FA-8C44160853F0.jpeg

92C0D31B-9480-4925-B0B8-346C28844F70.jpeg

Could have been worse, the block, heads and radiator still there.

What happened to it that cause the intake to come off, kids borrowing parts?

As long as water never went down the engine it should be ok, or at least ok to rebuild, even if it spun a bearing.

I plan to remove the heads, check the cylinders and spin it over after a good soak with ATF. If all is good I will lap the valves and replace the seals for now. Then reassemble it and try to fire it up.

I can only imagine the anticipation.

With a bore - o - scope you could look in the cylinders.

I should think about buying something like that, the ultimate troubleshooting tool, like a plumber's camera.

Harbor Freight has a few borescopes with hand-held screens. You can also get one that will also use your cell phone (NOT flip phone) as its screen. And THEN there is the famous "Critter Cam" as seen on TV!

There's no finer time than your oily hands inside a big block Chrysler engine you're going to be drag racing idiots with later ;]

Happy hunting

I finally bought a 1972 Imperial in Ohio. I will be bringing it home on Saturday. The plan is to rebuild the 440 and TorqueFlite, then make the outside presentable. It will be for special family occasions and outings.

I can’t wait to get everything going with it. It will be fun.

View attachment 562235

View attachment 562236

Limo drivers are definitely idiots. I’m picking up my family from the airport in this
Congrats, looking forward to your progress. There’s nothing like the feel of a C-body

Back