I hate door panels!

Unfortunately, the road contractors are cheating the gummints paying for that concrete to be poured, by decreasing the yards poured and still meeting strength minimums.

Just a suggestion: Velcro works quite well for door panel attachment. Can be bought anywhere with adhesive backing. Put half on trim panel, half on door shell. No way to tell the difference when its assembled. To remove panel afterwards you just start at the end of Velcro strip and slide your finger or a pry tool (nylon pry tool works best) and "unzip" the door panel.

The only velcro in my car will be the velcro on the straps of my Walmart sneakers.

That depends. ;)

Are you using these yet? LOL!

shopping

Seriously C'mon. Velcro for repairs is right up there with sheet metal screws...
Sure. It works....

It's OK Stan. You have every right to suffer through repairing 40 year old door panels every time you remove one. It's why they offer blood pressure med's.

Maybe when the next window motor fails.
I have three more NORS gears on the shelf for when it does.
PS: I also have new gears for the headlight motor for when it fails.

OR, I should take all my reserve parts and build a new Formal.

Don't they make special tools for removing panels? I've heard such stories in the past. Never seen one and trashed more than a couple panels over the years as a result. Often wondered why the clips used on door panels were always a fight to the death on most cars, while the outer trim and chrome clips seemed to fall asleep and drop off at times.

At least you came up with a solid fix for it, like your trunk repair. Gotta admire a man who can keep his sense of humor at times that would have me reaching for a sledge hammer or gas can.

BTW, you haven't experienced true torment until you've owned an Audi.

Don't they make special tools for removing panels?
Yes they do and I have several varities.
You have to remember the clips are attached to 40 year old pressed board (cardboard actually).

I remember reading an article about Velcro and its many uses some time ago. Interestingly, the automakers have done a lot of experimenting with it. Turns out, the more vibration velcro experiences, the tighter its hold gets. Automakers went so far as experimenting attaching bumpers to cars with it with apparently surprisingly good results. I wonder if the safety bumpers mandated by the government ended up putting the kibosh on that idea?

Back