I Just Bought a 1972 Fury Wagon and I am thrilled

The E63 suggests it's the 383, but looking up Plymouth Fury for the year your wagon was built, numerous engine options were available. The forum experts should be able to advise you how to tell what you have. Possibly the air cleaner was replaced with the one you have??? Anything could have happened during the last 47 years.

In 1972 the 400 replaced the 383 so unless its a really early build it does not have a 383.

Perhaps there was an overlapping period between the time the tag was prepared indicating a 383, but when she was built the change had occurred and a 400 was installed. If so, I wouldn't imagine any attempt to produce a new tag with the correct engine as it wouldn't have been an issue, mechanics would recognize the 400 and use the correct parts.

After 47 years, having a functioning engine is the main thing, and fortunately you seem to have that.

I believe I have a 400. But I am curious as to why the E63 is on the tag.

Tag codes changed over the years and certain tag codes mean different things on different car lines. One code may mean one thing for an A Body and another for a C Body. I have found that the information available on line is not complete and does not focus on C Body Body tag codes. Without personally spending some time decoding your tag I can't comment further.

What is the year and month on the driver's door VIN sticker? If it October 1971 or later I would be pretty certain that it is a 400.

I believe I have a 400. But I am curious as to why the E63 is on the tag.
Because it's the correct code for a 1972 400ci engine.

Perhaps there was an overlapping period between the time the tag was prepared indicating a 383, but when she was built the change had occurred and a 400 was installed. If so, I wouldn't imagine any attempt to produce a new tag with the correct engine as it wouldn't have been an issue, mechanics would recognize the 400 and use the correct parts.

After 47 years, having a functioning engine is the main thing, and fortunately you seem to have that.

Tag codes changed over the years and certain tag codes mean different things on different car lines. One code may mean one thing for an A Body and another for a C Body. I have found that the information available on line is not complete and does not focus on C Body Body tag codes. Without personally spending some time decoding your tag I can't comment further.

What is the year and month on the driver's door VIN sticker? If it October 1971 or later I would be pretty certain that it is a 400.

72_Polara_Monaco0014.jpg

72_Polara_Monaco0020.jpg

Before you repaint it you might be surprised how much just buffing the paint will do. It dose take a bit of work. Otherwise it looks good.

Before you repaint it you might be surprised how much just buffing the paint will do. It dose take a bit of work. Otherwise it looks good.
Yes... I found out how great buffing can improve the paint with my green 72 4dr Fury...but this one is pretty burnt on the roof and hood...and the front fenders look more recently painted...when the "project roulette" timer comes around to this one I will probably sand and primer it a piece at a time and then my buddy says he'll help me shoot it because he can borrow a paint booth... I will have to dig up a before and after pic on my Fury and share.. hmmm...that would be an interesting thread for members to show before and after shots of buffed paint.

I am gonna tackle my driver window problem...clearly off the track and I can see the nylon/plastic rivet is gone so I will be ordering some... can someone please suggest what other clips or pieces I should get in order to do as complete a job as possible? Also, I will be needing the felt strips (for lack of a better word) for all the windows....any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Back