I Just Bought a 1972 Fury Wagon and I am thrilled

MBar

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
The last thing I needed... I've had a 68 Newport 4dr Sedan for years...I ended up on the forum and discovered the Fuselage C Bodies... and lucked out for cheap got myself a 72 Fury 4dr sedan that hadn't run in 20 years but I got it going...and occasionally I would visit the wagon section because I love wagons (had a 65 falcon wagon that I regret selling) and, well......
Came across this 1972 Fury Wagon and made the deal by phone and text. Deposit is made and the seller seems like a good guy... it's in Arizona and I am in California (about 250 miles apart).. the front seat is in bad shape and the headliner is gone. The gentleman is going to cross into Mexicali and have the seat and the headliner done (I'm paying a bit extra for that), plus some minor mechanical details and he's gonna wash it inside and out. I am planning my trip out there on Sunday and I can hardly wait. So happy to have a wagon!! Sooo....that's 3 C-Bodies in my stable.. not perfect cars but I am very happy to have them.

00W0W_lC8XiEk3YTA_1200x900[1].jpg

00P0P_hJ1Ks5i11tf_1200x900[1].jpg

00000_4HhBHGGBIIi_1200x900[1].jpg

View attachment 263954

00o0o_c3E4FGVhcYg_600x450.jpg

The last thing I needed... I've had a 68 Newport 4dr Sedan for years...I ended up on the forum and discovered the Fuselage C Bodies... and lucked out for cheap got myself a 72 Fury 4dr sedan that hadn't run in 20 years but I got it going...and occasionally I would visit the wagon section because I love wagons (had a 65 falcon wagon that I regret selling) and, well......
Came across this 1972 Fury Wagon and made the deal by phone and text. Deposit is made and the seller seems like a good guy... it's in Arizona and I am in California (about 250 miles apart).. the front seat is in bad shape and the headliner is gone. The gentleman is going to cross into Mexicali and have the seat and the headliner done (I'm paying a bit extra for that), plus some minor mechanical details and he's gonna wash it inside and out. I am planning my trip out there on Sunday and I can hardly wait. So happy to have a wagon!! Sooo....that's 3 C-Bodies in my stable.. not perfect cars but I am very happy to have them.

View attachment 263948

View attachment 263949

View attachment 263950

View attachment 263954

HB1 (Sky Blue) is a really good-looking shade of blue, IMO and you have the dual A/C. Nice find!

Last edited:
cool, congrats
yes all wagons were suburbans.
you have a custom suburban
fury I & II = suburban, fury III = custom suburban, and
sport fury = sport suburban.
yes the tailgate also drops down, there is a lever on the inside on the right under the rear window that controls which.
i didnt realise that in 72 they redesigned up the left side visible hinge that was on earlier years and put a handle on the outside.
i have to put the back window down in order to open it like a door but you dont have to....
heres a pic of my 71 440 custom suburban showing the hinge and lack of handle.
and you can also see that in 72 they went to a rectangular reverse light...
mark

20160509_143455.jpg

Last edited:
Great find. Clock delete but with rear a/c. I used to own a 71 Custom Suburban and can probably answer some questions that you may have.

Left side.jpg

Very nice score! Good looking, solid wagon. I also enjoyed all of the pics of other wagons in this post. Growing up in the '70s I rode in quite a few of them. Thanks guys.

Beautiful -- nice wheels -- what are those called?

As noted above they are factory road wheels in chrome, often referred to as 16 slot wheels since there are 16 rectangular slot type cut outs along the outer edge of the wheel center. The wheels in my photo of the 1970 - 1974 tall center caps with the splined ends on them. Very hard to find. Sorry that I sold those wheels with that wagon.

I love the color and the fact it's a non woodgrain wagon. Who wouldn't roll up on a first date with that!

I picked it up yesterday... fell a little short of his description but a solid, zero-rust wagon. It's got a 400 and that makes a valve tic that goes away (sticky lifter?...mystery oil tomorrow). A leak in right front tire that didn't make itself known til this morning after last nights 200 mile drive home. I aired it and it sank after a few minutes so I consider myself lucky. He mangled the door panel when he tried to fix the lock (which has been fixed) so now I gotta have one made (find out tomorrow how much)...heater is bypassed. I didn't even try the air. The mangled door panel kept the window from going up all the way so I froze my face for most of the trip til I figured it out. The back gate doesn't flip down but the window works so I can swing it open. The body is perfect but needs paint. All trim is there...
All in all, I'm not sure I made a good purchase at 3300.00 According to the description it sounded a lot cleaner so I thought I was getting a slammin' deal. I think I did just ok. Could have been worse as I had violated all rules and sent half the money as a deposit.
I'm at work now but will be playing with it tomorrow and more pics to come..

What is that thing hanging down across the rear under the bumper? It's ugly and I am gonna remove it...but I think it is OEM so it will go to storage...

I picked it up yesterday... fell a little short of his description but a solid, zero-rust wagon. It's got a 400 and that makes a valve tic that goes away (sticky lifter?...mystery oil tomorrow). A leak in right front tire that didn't make itself known til this morning after last nights 200 mile drive home. I aired it and it sank after a few minutes so I consider myself lucky. He mangled the door panel when he tried to fix the lock (which has been fixed) so now I gotta have one made (find out tomorrow how much)...heater is bypassed. I didn't even try the air. The mangled door panel kept the window from going up all the way so I froze my face for most of the trip til I figured it out. The back gate doesn't flip down but the window works so I can swing it open. The body is perfect but needs paint. All trim is there...
All in all, I'm not sure I made a good purchase at 3300.00 According to the description it sounded a lot cleaner so I thought I was getting a slammin' deal. I think I did just ok. Could have been worse as I had violated all rules and sent half the money as a deposit.
I'm at work now but will be playing with it tomorrow and more pics to come..

What is that thing hanging down across the rear under the bumper? It's ugly and I am gonna remove it...but I think it is OEM so it will go to storage...

DUST SHIELD, prevents dust from the back window, super common back then

With zero rust, no body repair needed, plus you drove it 200 miles home...I'd say you got a helluva deal at that price!

Congrats and enjoy driving it

With zero rust, no body repair needed, plus you drove it 200 miles home...I'd say you got a helluva deal at that price!

Congrats and enjoy driving it
Thank you... I don't have a lot of dough and this sucked up a giant chunk of my repair budget for all my projects... I REALLY didn't need this vehicle but I do feel my collection is much better...I am not wealthy so I don't have a big garage or showcase for my cars but I do grow to love each one...so now I have 3 driving C-bodies!! I just hope that opportunity for a 2 door fuselage doesn't come knockin anytime soon. I am trying to focus on the 74 F100 short bed 4x4 I bought last month...

So what's the scoop on the 400 motor? It has a giant air pump on the right front of the motor..ugly and I think I can pull it off...there's a tube that goes to the exhaust manifold and other stuff...I'm sure it is for emissions.. safe to remove? I am hoping it improves my MPG so what else can I get rid of?

Back