I need a new radiator...

original rads with 440s worked in Florida, CA, AZ etc back in the day. There is no reason they wouldn't work today if the system works correctly.

Interesting comment. I got a job as an engineer with Chrysler just after I got out of College in 1969. I actually spent 3 months in the cooling systems laboratory at Chrysler Engineering during a 2 year rotational assignment series before making a decision where to go permanent in the company (I ended up in the fuel systems department). I spent a lot of time at the Chelsea Proving Grounds observing what was going on in terms of cooling systems development margin and design vs. cost. I was dismayed at the lack of margin in the radiator decisions being made at the time because everything had to be perfect for these cars to run cool on really hot days, especially at low speeds in traffic. Cost trumped everything and the systems released were really not sufficient for worst case conditions. I personally do not like coolant temperatures above 210F for any reason, and will do what I have to in order to avoid that. Also with time, radiators need recoring and the cores available in the aftermarket these days generally are junk. As stated earlier, fin density matters most, and only a couple aftermarket cores come close to factory density and that was marginal for hot weather areas. In comparison, GM had much better cooling system margin based on some tests run at the proving ground, and their a/c system capacities were far superior to Chrysler's. GM's Harrison a/c systems were the best in the business and had no trouble cooling under hot conditions. I believe Chrysler lost a lot of customers in hot weather areas due to poor capacity cooling for both occupants and keeping the engine cool. Trying to save money and trying to copy GM leadership at the same time was a losing strategy and led to their bankruptcy circa 1980. It is still all about making the best cars first and then never compromising that value if a car company is to succeed then and now.
I happen to be a purist when it comes to restoring my vehicles and value original appearance, but if I can get better performance through unseen modifications, I will do it. Others may have other priorities in their enjoyment of these old cars, and that is the way it should be - do what works best for you.

Not as fugly as I thought it would be. I can easily live with that.

2zzuiaw.jpg

I happen to be a purist when it comes to restoring my vehicles and value original appearance, but if I can get better performance through unseen modifications, I will do it. Others may have other priorities in their enjoyment of these old cars, and that is the way it should be - do what works best for you. That is the best couple of lines I have read in awhile. Thanks saforwardlook

22 inch and a 440 yeah that is a perfect combo for summer in the south, Chrysler only needed it to be acceptable for 5 years and 50,000 mi.

What are you talking about??? Its the same size as what came out. 28" I believe.

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:
Any Formal owner who's heart is set on using a Champion, here's the mods to the bracket and the shroud mounts.

2yw7ivd.jpg

9j1zb6.jpg

Last edited:
. . .

How many of you have the balls to expose yourself in a forum that takes no prisoners and eats its young. Maybe 2 or 3 of you. Ross & Nick, my hat goes off to you guys.
Don't give me any bullshit because I'll throw it right back three-fold.

Its always a lotta fun when Stan exposes himself. . .

Last edited:
Nice, I'm waiting for you to report (picture please) what the normal operating temp on the gauge will be after you sort out the head gaskets.

Back