I need assistance finding parts for a 1965 Dodge Monaco

He is talking about the "clips" on the under side of the upper trim that runs along the top of the fenders,doors,and quarters. The trim is a bear to get off without breaking at least some of them. No repos and as far as I know no NOS either. These clips were tack welded to the underside at the factory. If you have the clips a reputable shop should be able to "weld" them back on. If they are missing, you will have to track down used trim and remove the clips for your trim....unless the other trim is in better shape. There is also a small "V" shaped piece that attaches to these clips and it gets inserted into the holes on the body and then the trim gets pulled and locked in place. I have a box of these "V" shaped parts for my cars but have not seen any since about 6 years ago. Welcome to the world of "65 Monacos. Still tracking parts down for my 4 speed car and it ain't easy. Good luck.View attachment 36567

Thank you for the picture and suggestions. I have not looked on the inside of the trim so I am trying to decide from your picture of it is the same. I just talked with the painter and he is going to try to salvage these pieces and solder them back to the trim. If he cannot do that then he will probably have to try to glue the trim back in some way. It is not easy getting the clips out because they expand and 'V' out behind the sheet metal, kind of like a wall molly. We will see what happens.

Thank you for the picture and suggestions. I have not looked on the inside of the trim so I am trying to decide from your picture of it is the same. I just talked with the painter and he is going to try to salvage these pieces and solder them back to the trim. If he cannot do that then he will probably have to try to glue the trim back in some way. It is not easy getting the clips out because they expand and 'V' out behind the sheet metal, kind of like a wall molly. We will see what happens.

Here are some more pics. The rectangular piece with two holes is what is "welded" to the bottom of the trim. The small "V" clip attaches to that and is inserted into the hole on the body. The trim is then pulled so that the "V" clip slides to the fatter end of the rectangular piece there by locking it in place. That is why it is so hard to remove this trim without breaking the "V" clips or the rectangular pieces. I have a box of 100 "V" clips and was told they are non-existent at this point in time. Sorry to say I will not part with my stash. Does not mean that there are not some out there to be found. Good luck. clip 1.jpgclip 2.jpgclip 3.jpgclip 4.jpgclip 5.jpgclip 6.jpg

clip 1.jpg

clip 2.jpg

clip 3.jpg

clip 4.jpg

clip 5.jpg

clip 6.jpg

Here are some more pics. The rectangular piece with two holes is what is "welded" to the bottom of the trim. The small "V" clip attaches to that and is inserted into the hole on the body. The trim is then pulled so that the "V" clip slides to the fatter end of the rectangular piece there by locking it in place. That is why it is so hard to remove this trim without breaking the "V" clips or the rectangular pieces. I have a box of 100 "V" clips and was told they are non-existent at this point in time. Sorry to say I will not part with my stash. Does not mean that there are not some out there to be found. Good luck.View attachment 36741View attachment 36742View attachment 36743View attachment 36744View attachment 36745View attachment 36746
This is very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to take and post the photos. I understand hanging on to your stash. The post is very helpful. Thanks again.

Dang, those look like a bugger to remove. I likely have a full set, at least the parts car has all that trim, but I've never tried removing any of it and from the looks of those clips I won't have the time necessary to try it. Hey, nutcase - is there an easy way to remove those clips without destroying them? They're looking like you'd have to access from the underside to try remove them intact.

Mike

Hi Mike,
I have not heard of or found a way to do it yet. Once those clips are in the body they spread open and lock in place. Your idea of going underneath sounds good but in theory you would have to do them all at the same time to be able to remove the trim.

Back