I really just cant do a flip

cantflip

Old Jagoff with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi I have worked my entire career on/around auto repair. The very few cars I ever sold were to friends or acquaintances who had to have them more than I did and the profits were zero. I did trade a couple, but usually by the time I'm done I send the remains to the scrap heap.

I really just cant get my head around the mentality of everything Mopar is a hemi, or rusty unsafe parts cars are rat rods. Yard art which seems to be the upper echelon of ratrods baffle me with why anyone would buy, why is that idiot driving without a floor and WHY IN THE HELL DID YOU SAND THE PAINT AND MAKE YOUR OWN PATINA(rust)?

I found you guys while searching for my first car, 1974 imperial. I am mostly looking at NYers though because I am very particular as to what I want and I'm cheep... not a recipe for a lot of success. but, I'm patient so maybe something will show up yet.

Thanks
Jeff

Hi I have worked my entire career on/around auto repair. The very few cars I ever sold were to friends or acquaintances who had to have them more than I did and the profits were zero. I did trade a couple, but usually by the time I'm done I send the remains to the scrap heap.

I really just cant get my head around the mentality of everything Mopar is a hemi, or rusty unsafe parts cars are rat rods. Yard art which seems to be the upper echelon of ratrods baffle me with why anyone would buy, why is that idiot driving without a floor and WHY IN THE HELL DID YOU SAND THE PAINT AND MAKE YOUR OWN PATINA(rust)?

I found you guys while searching for my first car, 1974 imperial. I am mostly looking at NYers though because I am very particular as to what I want and I'm cheep... not a recipe for a lot of success. but, I'm patient so maybe something will show up yet.

Thanks
Jeff
i think i like you already.

Welcome to the site, I think you will fit right in. Good luck on you search.

Welcome to the site from the Motor City!

Thanks, I hope to find another someday. The first was a $50.00 wreck, but I loved it.

At the time I was making 2.85 per hour and spent it all on gas, cigarettes and adult beverages I was too young to buy. It had a bent sub frame and after a year driving it I wrecked it again. I wound up trading it to a friend who just had to have the rear disc set up for his fuselage Sebring/fake RR.

Welcome aboard - nothing wrong with being cheap, though 'thrifty' sounds better. :D

I don't mind the folks who 'pick', 'flip', or whatever else you want to call it. They bring a lot of things back to the light of day that may not be seen again for years, if at all. It's the idiots who need to hype the crap out of everything they sell and 9 times out of 10 don't even know what they're talking about. But they know it's R@RE!! and worth $10K. They're the ones to avoid.

Agree with you on the rat rod BS. There are some cool looking old cars out there that aged naturally and gracefully, but 99% of it appears to be junk someone hauled out of the back woods and wants to get rich from. The two most misused and overused words in the car world now are rat rod and patina. Immediate red flags to me to ignore the ads.

Good luck in your search, shouldn't take too long. These cars are well down the list of appreciated autos, which at least keeps them affordable for the most part.

Back