I see nothing in FSM on the door stops and how they work?

Rusty Muffler

Reaction score
My drivers door won't stay open and was wondering how the door stop, that flat bracket that telescopes into the hinge side of the door works? Should it be lubricated or degreased? Is there an adjustment to keep the door open? It's really annoying.

More than likely broken.....It will be the lower hinge. Look it over and compare to the right side door. You will see what the problem is. There are parts available to fix it.

I'm thinking of something later. I'm thinking of the plate with the waves on it that is pulled against a roller by a spring. A '57 might be different.

First off there is no spring and the door stop has nothing to do with any of the hinges.
If your other doors stay open than I assume you know there is a "detent" at fully open that keeps the door open.
Are you pushing it all the way open?
I put a thin coating of grease on the flat rod.
Mounted on the end of the flat rod inside the door is a piece with two pieces of flat metal with a V shape. Opening the door fully pulls the flat rod outward and the piece with the V shaped flat metal fingers go through the slots inside the door and that is where the detent is to hold the door open.

The two fingers on it go through the inside of the door through two slots. That is the detents
You won't see the slots on the edge of the door because there is a double wall there.
If you can look in the door where the flat rod goes you will see what I'm talking about.

Most likely you will need to remove the inside door panel to fix it.
Even with the front door panel off it's hard to see where this part is but if you feel like doing it the rear doors are wide open to better see what I'm talking about but that would be removing the rear door interior panels too.

Sounds more complicated than it is but it is a pretty simple set up.

I know you'll love this but to remove the window and door handles you need a special tool which I can tell you more about

Last edited:
Thanks Jakter, The drivers door would stay open on level ground so the detent isn't working. I can see where there's a wield where the flat bar attaches to a bracket on the jamb, probably someone tried to open the door too far and broke something inside.

Thanks Jakter, The drivers door would stay open on level ground so the detent isn't working. I can see where there's a wield where the flat bar attaches to a bracket on the jamb, probably someone tried to open the door too far and broke something inside.

From the factory the bracket on the door jamb that has the pin going through the flat strap is spot welded to the door jam, there is nothing else beyond that.

I edited both my posts because I gave you bad information on how the door check works.
The detent that I mention is the piece on the end of the flat rod that actually goes in and out of the slots in side the door.
So if the flat rod can be wiggled up and down when the door is PARTIALLY open that's normal.
When the door is Fully open the flat rod should not be able to be wiggled because the two fingers on the piece that is attached to the end of the flat rod inside the door slide through the slots inside the door and THAT is where the detent is to hold the door open.

I remembered I had a loose door check in the shop and had to go look at it to make sure I wasn't giving you wrong advice.
You still may have to remove the door panels to see why the detent is not engaging.

Last edited:
Back