Idler arm issue 75 newport

fury1

Reaction score
So I bought a new idler arm from Moog and went to install it. When I took the old one out I seen that they had the washers on the outside of the frame mount. When they are supposed to be on the inside.... Or so I thought. Any suggestions? New one won't fit with any washers inside the frame. It's loose inside with no washers.
IMG_20160401_140033092.jpg

I just had the same problem with the Moog (problem solver) idler arm. Couldn't get both washers to fit. It won't work with just one washer inside. Graham (Dobalovr) found me an NOS idler arm in Kansas. You need part number 4014081.

Any way that I can grind the shaft of the idler arm down to make the washers fit? Would that change the operation of it? Or using thinner washers? Got the car jacked up right in the middle of the driveway. Don't wanna put the old one back on.

The shaft one I took off measure the same exact as the new one... Might have been changed once already. Probably couldn't get the washers to fit and just threw it in.

Those two pcs. are identical. Right down to flash marks. I wouldn't be surprised if they were even out of the same mold.
I'd say the problem is in the rubber bushing. Is there a pressed in steel sleeve?

img_20160401_142427516-jpg.74915

Yea they both have pressed in sleeves. I measured both ends for the stickout. They are exactly the same.

The old and new are both identical.
The old one fit perfectly.
The new one doesn't ...
:confused::wtf:

Yep. Use thinner washers

Problem solved. Thinner washer were the key! The old one fit... But it had no washers.

And it was tight with the thinner washers? You couldn't push up on the idler arm at all?

I have that Moog idler arm in right now with one washer. It still moves up and down a couple of inches. I'm going to put the new Mopar NOS idler in when it shows up. If you say the thinner washers is good to go then I'm going to keep the Moog for an emergency replacement.

I was able to squeeze 1 of the thicker washers that came with the idler arm in. So I got some washers that were 1/2 the size... Took some doing. Wasn't easy to squeeze them in. But it works. No up and down motion anymore. We'll see how it goes in the long run.

How does it attach on the formal? Two tabs sticking out or a pocket in the frame? If it has the tabs and someone put it in with only one washer and it bent the tabs when tightening it. I have spread the tabs some by stricking them with a hammer to get both washers to fit.

Back