If you could have

The_Eagles’_Nest

Reaction score
If you could have ordered any Imperial and spec’s it out your way what would you have ordered?

I would have gone for a 1972 in black with a gold vinyl top, gold leather interior. It would be a sunroof car with Auto-Temp dual air conditioning, safeguard sentinel and auto dimming headlamps, would also be a trailer towing car, power vent windows, power door locks, cruise control, Sure-Grip, Sure Brake and the accessory group.

I would hope that car actually exists.

Last edited:
I would have gone for a '66 Crown Coupe, power everything with a/c and such. Would have been a nightmare to work under the hood, but "others" can do that, IF I could afford the price of the car to start with. I just like the styling of those cars!

By '73, it would have been an Imperial 4dr ht. Full loaded. Color to be determined. Full power and such, with trailer towing and FM-Multiplex Stereo in all of its sonic glory. I, too, would have spec'd Sure Brake for its advancements above normal ABS of the time. Still onerous under the hood, but better than the '66s by a long shot.

The '74-'78 Imperials could be classed more as "Driver's Imperials" to me. Lower belt line for better vision. Better sound isolation and "Nicer than a NY" interior. 4dr ht. Add all of the options, incl Trailer Package. At that time, I was into gold tones, so the medium gold metallic with matching interior and beige vinyl top. Would consider others, too, depending upon my mood.

I would even have considered one of the "small" Imperial coupes, but I knew how overworked the normal 318 was, then add a car that's over 4000lbs with a "downhill" highway gear in the back. Not what I wanted back then. Finding a used one? Stroker 408 with a self-learning EFI and ign control. Upgrade the shocks and sway bars, too. Make it all look OEM, too! Fun in a straight line and in the turns. Hide an 8-spd TF under the floor, if possible, too. LOL Make that SureGrip earn its keep!

As time progressed from back then, I satisfied my C-body "cravings" with non-Imperials, which is probably better. Yet I always pondered what I'd order if I had the opportunity.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I pretty much think I’ve owned it already for over 12 years…:thankyou:

‘67 Crown Coupe or 4 door hardtop with all the bells and whistles. Such a beautiful body style.

A plain Jane Fuselage 2-door Imperial, with the stock engine/trans, power steering and that's it, no electrical anything, probably black with burgundy leather interior. No vinyl roof either.
Edit: if the salesman had enough influence to get it done, either drop a 426 in it or at the very least go with the 440 six-barrel set up (thinking 1970). Buckets and console would be a must also.

Last edited:
1965 Imperial convertible, black, black top, maroon leather, loaded.

Any Imperial?

None of you guys think outside the box when it comes to dream cars. Walter P. Chrysler Jr's custom bodied '32 Imperial would be first on the list.

1709836027771.png

After that, a '36 Imperial Airflow would be nice.

1709836173358.png

Getting to the era we concern ourselves with... 1965 Crown Coupe, Spanish red with a black interior and black top

Something like this.

1709836533282.png

It’s about what you would pick, how would you build your car if you could go back and sit down with a salesman.

pretty much the one I have now. two door, sunroof, split power, bucket seats, autotemp ii, rear air FM-8trac, rear speakers, Sure grip, power locks, sentinel guard, auto dimming headlights, cruise control, only thing I would change is order it in triple black instead of triple blue.

Wow! Excellent looking car.
View attachment 648534
Yea, it's not the type of car that you would sit down with a salesman to order.

A car like this would involve a custom coach builder, like LeBaron and once they had an idea of what you wanted, you would review sketches of different designs. There might be a dealership involved somewhere... but when you are this level, it's all brought to you. I read of one designer in the 30's waiting for a slow day on the stock market so he could bring E. F. Hutton sketches for a proposed design. It was a whole different level of doing business.

This particular car was built by Chrysler's Custom Body division, but that was a perk of being Walter P.'s son. I see it as what I would have bought, had I lived in 1932, wanted an Imperial and had the means to do it. Of course, in reality, I would have bought a Duesenberg rather than an Imperial...

For driving, every day?
71 4-dr. Dark blue. Black top and black leather.
With the usual necessities.

If you could have ordered any Imperial and spec’s it out your way what would you have ordered?

I would have gone for a 1972 in black with a gold vinyl top, gold leather interior. It would be a sunroof car with Auto-Temp dual air conditioning, safeguard sentinel and auto dimming headlamps, would also be a trailer towing car, power vent windows, power door locks, cruise control, Sure-Grip, Sure Brake and the accessory group.

I would hope that car actually exists.
1970 triple black 2 door with TNT 440. A/C and power everything, of course. Since I could never find one, I went with a Hurst 300.

1970 triple black 2 door with TNT 440. A/C and power everything, of course. Since I could never find one, I went with a Hurst 300.
I had the H300. And 71 Imperial. You're not missing too much; they ran about the same.

Given that this is the C-body Forum, my choice was the triple black 70 with TNT. It is a C-body, and the TNT was available, (U code 440 for 375HP), and the Hurst actually has an Imperial leather interior. My Hurst has the console and buckets, plus tilt-telescopic-rim-blow steering wheel.
If we broaden the spectrum beyond 'official' C-bodies, certainly a first year Imperial Airflow would be on my list, along with a 1961 Imperial Crown Convertible with a 413 and crossrams off a 300G, plus an 83 FS edition with upgraded driveline from a modern 300C/charger/challenger 6.4L/392 485HP SRT-8 stable. What a collection! Game over for me.

I love all Imperials stylistically, so it's very hard for me to pick a particular year but I will throw out some years I really super like?

33, 49, 51, 54, 55, 59, 60, 65, 68, 69, 73, 74, 75, 81, 90

So it's really down to colours and options:

My preferences:

I like Black, Blue, Brown, Green the hue would be based on my mood but if I was ordering, odds are high I'd probably go triple black. I'm a sucker for a black car...

Options
LeBarons- I like the seats and extra touches the LeBaron offered with a few exceptions.
Cloth seats...I don't like the burnt buns that leather seats give in the summer;
A regular A/C. non Autotemp due to simplicity while still having the comfort of being cool;
No Headlight Sentinel or Auto dimming stuff, I have no need of it.
PSeats, PAnt, AM/FM Stereo and tape (I like music when I drive)

Overall my 68 Crown Convertible hits a lot of my likes and will be amazing once I'm done with the restoration.

Mine would be a 1967 Imperial Crown Coupe, exterior color KK-1 Mist Turquoise Poly, interior silver leather, loaded mobile director.
I would be happy with that. :lol:

Back