If you were GIVEN the car AND...

...the money to customize one car because Ma Mopar didn't allow the designers to go that far, what would it be?

Posted via Topify on Android

Sticking to Commando1's criteria, I would not change the styling of anything, because I like what Chrysler Corporation put out.

On the engineering side, I'd go with the 426 Hemi in the 300 Hurst and Sport Fury GT. I understand that Chrysler Corp was considering the Hemi as part of these packages but shied away due to cost.
I was waiting for you to say a 75 Imp 'vert, but....

Amusing subject. - Definitely a 1970 Imperial Convertible. An azure blue metallic one, with ivory bucket seats done in '67 Monaco 500 style, real Connolly leather instead of cheap vinyl, a floor shifter and a tilt & telescope Rimblow wheel, Chrysler road wheels, dual exhausts, four wheel disc brakes, and a De Dion rear end. Plus the usual Imp amenities, of course. - Now, how's that for an engineering exercise? (I know there is at least one Imp vert cooking up elsewhere at this forum, but I kinda didn't like the recipe though..;-)

I had a similar idea but using an electric worm gear and sprocket... I've got a couple ideas about a torsion bar rear suspension for a c-body too but I'm no engineer lol

I have been toying with the same idea: Wouldn't it be neat to replace the leaf springs (which really were a soft spot on these barges, from an engineering point of view) with a '50s Packard style torsion bar rear springs?

All the circle track guys use torsion bars so that's not at all far fetched.

Ahhh...there's so many I'd love to customize!

tumblr_m40q6sVfJW1qej3klo1_1280.jpg

488285_10151361737480828_651506859_n.jpg

428225_10200305523618230_435725217_n.jpg

1395403_10202219957277875_694745349_n.jpg

485.jpg

A rear torsion bar set up with independent suspension would be wild. I'm sure it's possible, but a 4-link set up would be practical. There were a few minitruckers back in the day that used actuated torsion bar adjusters to rais the truck. Worked very well, but lots of work.

I sure everyone heard the stories of the couple of 1970 Hemi Hurst cars. One was allegedly assembled by Ma Mopar but was suppose to be crushed but some Chrysler exec some how got it and it hides somewhere in California today. The other one was a dealer installed Hemi. I have never seen a picture of either car or seen any documented proof that either car ever existed.

I believe that there were discussions of putting Hemi's in C-Bodies from 1966 on. I also think that they probably had the best chance of getting into 1969 to 1971 C-Bodies. I would of liked to have seen the Hemi in all of the Formal C-Bodies of course......LOL!

I find it hard to imagine that no one stuffed a Hemi into one of the Slabbies at the factory skunk works. Some Mavericks HAD to have done it.

Imagine a "factory" Chrysler 300 426 Hemi popping up somewhere? No on would believe you.

Last edited:
Man, those are great examples. Never would have thought of the Marlin.

Why didn't you give him **** about it not being a Mopar at the time Stan?
attachment.php

BTW I've got or a neighbor that has a Marlin just around the corner .. my daughter asked me if it was a Mopar which I thought was pretty cool. She liked it and asked me about it one day out of the blue w/o me even saying anything about it at all

You guys wouldn't like a hemi in a C body... In a heavy car, a good running 440 will run just as fast (and sometimes faster... I know this LOL) than a hemi.

The hemi looks great and when they are tuned right, they are fast. Problem is not many people can get a street version running right. In all my years, I only knew two guys that could make one run the way they are supposed to... and one of those guys is dead. On the other hand, a single carb'd 440 is no where near as fussy and with gobs of low end torque, it can move the heavy C-body without breathing hard.

I have been toying with the same idea: Wouldn't it be neat to replace the leaf springs (which really were a soft spot on these barges, from an engineering point of view) with a '50s Packard style torsion bar rear springs?

I was thinking a torque arm system with pushrod actuated torsion bars, with a simple method for adjusting the suspensions leverage on the torsion bar... Its hard to explain, I really should have taken some CAD classes either in high school or college/trade school... but I have a similar idea for an adjustable lower control arm on the front end. Maybe if I ever get a chance to build my Newbird Bonneville idea I can try it all out lol.

And to be honest, I'd never heard of the Packard setup, but I will be doing some research now that I have...

Back