Ignition in "run" position. Will not release. '77 T&C

Totally 80's

Reaction score
I turned the key to crank the engine over. Ignition switch wouldn't rotate back to off. Car is in park. Disconnected the battery. Still can't get the key out. Any ideas?

Aaron

You may have inserted it in upside down. I had someone do that to my '70 Challenger years ago.

Here's what I did: I took a pair of pliers, grabbed the key and yanked. The entire locking mechanism came out, I was then able to manipulate the teeth on the key and get it loose. Mechanism went right back in and I had no further problems.

Now, since it turned to the start position, I doubt the key is upside down, but to remove the mechanism, I believe the solution would be the same.

You may have inserted it in upside down. I had someone do that to my '70 Challenger years ago.

Here's what I did: I took a pair of pliers, grabbed the key and yanked. The entire locking mechanism came out, I was then able to manipulate the teeth on the key and get it loose. Mechanism went right back in and I had no further problems.

Now, since it turned to the start position, I doubt the key is upside down, but to remove the mechanism, I believe the solution would be the same.

It's right side up... it feels like there is something holding it in place... like it's locked open instead of closed.

Try spraying some lubricant, or penetrating oil into the cylinder. When a pin goes dry it can jam in its bore and hold the key in.

Has it got tilt/ tele column? If so, the start switch is a Delco item low on the column actuated by a push rod...they can hang up and prevent lock cylinder rotation. Wiggling it can free it up. If this was the issue, it likely means replacement.

Has it got tilt/ tele column? If so, the start switch is a Delco item low on the column actuated by a push rod...they can hang up and prevent lock cylinder rotation. Wiggling it can free it up. If this was the issue, it likely means replacement.

Thanks Mr C,

This seems like the right direction. It has tilt/telescope. I’ll try to wiggle it, if it doesn’t work, are the start switches available? Hard to replace?

Aaron

Thanks Mr C,

This seems like the right direction. It has tilt/telescope. I’ll try to wiggle it, if it doesn’t work, are the start switches available? Hard to replace?

Aaron
Switch should be readily available. You will have to drop the column away from the dash for access. The dimmer switch is also mounted in the same spot. Not hard once you get your body in the right position.

Switch should be readily available. You will have to drop the column away from the dash for access. The dimmer switch is also mounted in the same spot. Not hard once you get your body in the right position.
Dimmer switch for headlights is on the floor...only other column mount item on a Formal by the ignition switch was the vacuum switch for auto park brake release on Imperials/ NYB....but a T&C should not have that.

The switch is held on by a couple of sheet metal screws and the rod and electrical connector. Pretty easy...just fiddly under the dash

images.jpg

Last edited:
UPDATE: I removed and replaced the start switch. I didn't have to drop the column, but the upper bolt is tough to access.

The problem was the ignition key cylinder. On the GM tilt/telescope column, the cylinder failure is a fairly common. It was easy to replace. I bought an NOS ignition cylinder and door key set. I'll swap the door locks when I remove them to replace the wood.

Aaron

Back