I'm back with a new ride - 65 Fury - Need help/pics w/interior and trim

barsteel

Reaction score
Hello!

I signed on a few months ago after buying a '68 300. The old boat was growing on me, but I realized that I'm a 4spd guy to the core, so I found the 300 a new home. I was looking for a Challenger, but happened upon a '65 Fury on Craig's List - 383, factory 4 spd, 90% "done" with new paint and interior on a solid AZ body, new brakes, rebuilt 4spd, dual exhaust, new tires, lotsa parts, the list goes on. It looked pretty badass to me, and it was a stick, so I pulled the trigger for about half the price of a Challenger in fair condition. Now it's in my garage.

Here's the rub. The car came with a trunk full of chrome that wasn't labeled. I've already spent a few hours IDing most of what I have, and I'm happy to say that "most" of it is there.

What I'm unsure of is:

1) what I'm missing on both doors and quarter windows, around the window opening - I know about the fuzzies, but are the on the outside AND inside? If not, what is on the inside, along the top edge of the door panel?

2) what I'm missing on the interior around the windshield, specifically along the dashboard

3) What I'm missing along with interior edge of the roof rail - trim? Windlace? Both?

5) Where there's supposed to be windlace, ie. around the interior doorframe by the kick panels, and rear side panels

6) What I'm missing on the exterior roof rail area - I know there's supposed to be weatherstripping for the windows up the pillar, along the top rail and down the sail panel, but there also appears that there should be a screwed on chrome strip on which to glue that weatherstripping...I have the piece that goes up the roof pillar, but nothing else, i.e. along the top of the roof rail, and along the exterior edge of the sail panel.

7) If I'm missing anything else that a Fury II should have, especially on the exterior, i.e. drip rail mouldings, etc.

I've attached lots of pics, and I need to hear from someone with a '65 Fury II that can take some pics for me that will tell me what I'm missing.

Yes, I know that there's a '65 Fury being parted out on the "Parts" forum, and I'm waiting to hear back from the poster. It appears as if he would have a lot of the parts, so I'm hoping that he could help me out.

Lastly, I've included pics of 3 sets of mystery chrome. If anyone can ID it for me and tell me where to put it :), I would appreciate the help.

Thanks...

Chris
Monroe, CT

fury1.jpg

fury2.jpg

fury3.jpg

fury4.jpg

fury5.jpg

fury6.jpg

fury7.jpg

fury8.jpg

Ok, did some more head scratching, matching, holding pieces up to existing holes, and figured out all of the remaining mystery trim except for the small "s" shaped pieces, and the small aluminum plates, both in the same pic.

The long pieces of chrome in question line the interior of the roof rail and hide where the headliner fastens to the body. The piece with the dog leg end covers the front roof pillar, and the piece with the end cut out at an angle covers the roof rail along the rear sail panel, and the long ones cover the top rail where the top of the window seals.

I'd appreciate any help with the remaining few pieces.

Thanks...

Chris

The S pieces go on the front corners of the hood, the aluminum plates look like the extension plates for the 2 sill plates.

Cheers

Ken -

Thanks! Guess they're extras 'cause the hood already has the trim on it.

What I really need is a pic of the top of the doors where the window comes out. Is there supposed to be molding between the door panel and the window?

Chris

There are 2 of them ,one on the rear of the door ,and one on the pillar post. If you search for a pillar post seal it should come up in a search. I can send you a picture later today
Cheers

ken

Nice, congrats!

Here are the photos I promised
Picture # 1 is the chrome piece for the front pillar to dash
Picture # 2 is the rubber seal at the rear of the front door
Picture# 3 is a photo where I am missing the same rubber seal as you

Cheers

Ken

IMG_7862.jpgIMG_7863.jpgIMG_7864.jpg

IMG_7862.jpg

IMG_7863.jpg

IMG_7864.jpg

Yea I posted that car Before when it was a CL ad, Great buy. Better then a challenger too I might add lol.

Ken -

Thanks for the pics. Did some more digging and found ONE of the pillar to dash pieces, and both rubber seals for the rear of the front doors AND the seal in the same area for the rear quarter windows.

I also have the chrome strip for the top of the doors and the rear fenders for the quarter windows on the outside, along the window gap, although I have JUST the strip. I have several bags of fasteners, so I have to dig through them to see if I can match up the correct ones.

Question - Is your car a '65? If not, do you know if the trim around the windows is the same for a 65?

I'm still trying to figure out what supposed to go on the top of the door panel. I see that there's a chrome strip, but is that a 1 piece strip that has the fuzzy built in, or is the fuzzy and the strip along the top separate pieces?

I'm trying to figure out what to look for, and I have nothing to go by.

As far as I can tell, the fuzzies on the outside are a separate strip that attaches directly to the door (I have the old strips).

If you could help me out with the trim on the top of the door panel, I would appreciate it (again).

Thank you!

Chris

Mine is a 66 Fury ,so I guess most things are the same. You can get manuals for free at MYMOPAR.COM

When I did my strips recently there were several different parts . On the outside of the door skin there is a stainless strip that clips to the top of the door ,then there was a fuzzy strip that clipped in to the area of the door ,between the exterior part of the door and the exterior of the glass. There was a one piece trim that screws or gets attached with staples to the space between the inside of the glass and the interior of the door. Similar parts for the quarter window trim. I bought an 8 piece kit for my car ( inside and outside fuzzies, I just cant remember from where)

Hope this helps.I can send photos tomorrow when I get a chance

Ken -

Thank you. If you could find out where they came for, that would be a big help. I'm starting to shop for the fuzzies and the roof rail seal now, and none of the vendors go into very much detail about what you get.

Question - does the roof rail seal have small plastic push-in fasteners that hold it in place, or is it glued?

There's slots in the roof rail area. Don't know if they're for fasteners or some missing piece of chrome.

Thanks...

Chris

those aluminum s shaped hood trim pieces are very hard to find in decent shape. dont lose them. nice 4 speed fury you have there.

The fuzzies came from " carpartjimm " on ebay.The roofrail trim I cant help you with because mine was already installed when I got it

Cheers

Ken

The fuzzies came from " carpartjimm " on ebay.The roofrail trim I cant help you with because mine was already installed when I got it

Cheers

Ken

Thanks! Fuzzies on order.

Now can anyone in Moparland help me with the roof rail weatherstrip and molding questions?

I HATE re-doing anything, so I'm trying to get it right the 1st time.

Chris

Old thread, I realize, but looks like you didn't get your answers on the roofrail seals.

The roofrail seals just push into a stainless channel that is screwed to the roof structure. The seal will probably need a spot of glue at the end where it comes down the A-pillar into the doorjamb.

Congrats on getting that car, saw it on ebay several times. Although not a correctly-restored car, it seemed pretty decent to me. And yes, significant cost savings over a me-too musclecar!

Hello!

I signed on a few months ago after buying a '68 300. The old boat was growing on me, but I realized that I'm a 4spd guy to the core, so I found the 300 a new home. I was looking for a Challenger, but happened upon a '65 Fury on Craig's List - 383, factory 4 spd, 90% "done" with new paint and interior on a solid AZ body, new brakes, rebuilt 4spd, dual exhaust, new tires, lotsa parts, the list goes on. It looked pretty badass to me, and it was a stick, so I pulled the trigger for about half the price of a Challenger in fair condition. Now it's in my garage.

Here's the rub. The car came with a trunk full of chrome that wasn't labeled. I've already spent a few hours IDing most of what I have, and I'm happy to say that "most" of it is there.

What I'm unsure of is:

1) what I'm missing on both doors and quarter windows, around the window opening - I know about the fuzzies, but are the on the outside AND inside? If not, what is on the inside, along the top edge of the door panel?

2) what I'm missing on the interior around the windshield, specifically along the dashboard

3) What I'm missing along with interior edge of the roof rail - trim? Windlace? Both?

5) Where there's supposed to be windlace, ie. around the interior doorframe by the kick panels, and rear side panels

6) What I'm missing on the exterior roof rail area - I know there's supposed to be weatherstripping for the windows up the pillar, along the top rail and down the sail panel, but there also appears that there should be a screwed on chrome strip on which to glue that weatherstripping...I have the piece that goes up the roof pillar, but nothing else, i.e. along the top of the roof rail, and along the exterior edge of the sail panel.

7) If I'm missing anything else that a Fury II should have, especially on the exterior, i.e. drip rail mouldings, etc.

I've attached lots of pics, and I need to hear from someone with a '65 Fury II that can take some pics for me that will tell me what I'm missing.

Yes, I know that there's a '65 Fury being parted out on the "Parts" forum, and I'm waiting to hear back from the poster. It appears as if he would have a lot of the parts, so I'm hoping that he could help me out.

Lastly, I've included pics of 3 sets of mystery chrome. If anyone can ID it for me and tell me where to put it :), I would appreciate the help.

Thanks...

Chris
Monroe, CT

View attachment 65097

View attachment 65098

View attachment 65099

View attachment 65100

View attachment 65101

View attachment 65102

View attachment 65103

View attachment 65104
Here are some pics of the roof drip rails installed on my '65. They come in two flavours, slightly bulky and beautiful and cheap thin ones. Your trim dictates the former. Do not, I repeat, do not buy cheap questionable upper wether stripping. It does not glue in, rather, slips and locks into the upper chrome trim channel. It has to fit right and be the perfect dimensions crosswise or you'll be adjusting the tilt on your side glass for an eternity. Never be able to wash the car either, in a conventional way. Here's some pics:

HPIM3709.JPG

HPIM3701.JPG

HPIM3702 (2).JPG

Yatzee - Is the console in your car original to it? I've been trying to isolate all possible apps for that top console plate and yours is the first Plymouth I've seen it in.
Thanks, Mike

Yatzee - Is the console in your car original to it? I've been trying to isolate all possible apps for that top console plate and yours is the first Plymouth I've seen it in.
Thanks, Mike
Surprisingly it is my belief that it is. The car came from Utau and only had two owners prior to me. The part that really throws me for a loop is the vacuum gauge mounted in the console - never seen one online for sale so there were no statements of make, model or year. When I put down new carpet the anchor brackets were as original with no sign of them being added. I removed and kept the shifter mechanism ( it was a two cable type) when I put a 72 Charger tranny in and opted for a B&M QuickSilver. Getting back to your trim, the clips that hold the outer trim at the top of the front and rear sills on the side of the car are hard to locate. The clips are plastic and once inserted, you push a center pin down to spread the retaining legs under the sheet metal. Then you snap the "channeled" trim piece over the clips.These things break easily from age when removing and unfortunately you need to have them all in place to keep the trim flat. I'll find out where I got my replacements and let you know. You'll have to attach the fuzzies to the trim strips - their originally held on with staples. I found that the tiniest of aluminum rivets will do the job. The head disappears into the fuzz and you can black them out with magic marker if they show.

Back