In need of a fuel tank and hideaway headlight relay...

moparblake

Reaction score
Well I just got my 72 fury wagon running and out of the garage under its own power with a gas can under the hood; I then proceeded to put gas in the gas tank and found out it had two holes in it under the strap. Would anyone have or know where to get a tank for a station wagon.
I also am working on the hideaway headlights (which the previous owner installed) and Im not sure where the motor wiring plugs into. I also read that there should be a relay for the hideaway lights but Im not to sure where that would be or where to mount one. If there isn't one on the car, where would be the best place to get one from.
Thanks for any info.

Try Vans Auto for the fuel tank, I pretty sure they have some fuel tanks for wagons there.
Good luck, Eric

Your tank can likely be repaired. You're only 1.5 hours from the national standard for gas tank rehab, Gas Tank Renu.

I have had two tanks repaired this way, no regrets.
Gas Tank Renu Illinois
Gas Tank Renu – USA, Bloomington Powder Coating Unlimited 136 Greenwood Ave. Bloomington, IL 61704 (309) 829-6915

Well I just got my 72 fury wagon running and out of the garage under its own power with a gas can under the hood; I then proceeded to put gas in the gas tank and found out it had two holes in it under the strap. Would anyone have or know where to get a tank for a station wagon.
I also am working on the hideaway headlights (which the previous owner installed) and Im not sure where the motor wiring plugs into. I also read that there should be a relay for the hideaway lights but Im not to sure where that would be or where to mount one. If there isn't one on the car, where would be the best place to get one from.
Thanks for any info.

The headlight relay was mounted at the top of the dash above the parking brake pedal, usually very hard to get at, especially on cars with A/C. As far as I know, no one is yet making a reproduction unit. If you search this site, there is a thread on using a Bosch relay as a substitute.

Dave

The headlight relay was mounted at the top of the dash above the parking brake pedal, usually very hard to get at, especially on cars with A/C. As far as I know, no one is yet making a reproduction unit. If you search this site, there is a thread on using a Bosch relay as a substitute.

Dave
I bought a repro unit, I think from this site. I have it in storage for use in converting my 72 Fury III to hidden headlight. See my avatar. If need be, I can find out who I bought it from.

No one repops C body wagon gas tanks. You have to have yours repaired.

Thanks for the information guys. I just called gas tank renu and they said it would be $345 plus the time and materials to repair the two holes. I think for that price, I will try to patch my tank and use some red coat that I have from another project.
I checked Vans the other day and they didn't have any wagon tanks. I will keep looking though...

Hmmm... I'm firmly of the school of "do it once and not need to do it again", and I believe Gas Tank Renu offers a lifetime warranty. At least they used to. Check it out, as it's a pain in the rear to drop a tank and so forth. Best IMO do it once and forget about it.

Don't take my advice because I weld on used gas tanks. But if your still reading. A buddy of mine bought a $500 Honda motorcycle for a cheap commuter about 15 years ago. It had the typical japanese motorcycle gas tank rust. From standing water at the pinch welds. He showed up with a stick of two part epoxy clay. That said it was for gas tanks. I had little hope other than maybe it will last until he could find a tank. Well, it was on there for years. He never fixed it and rode it through the winter.
If it was me. I'd grab some of that and run it until you find another or get that one fixed.

Back