Fuel tank straps

66furys

Reaction score
So I have laid awake on dropping the tank. My fill tube came loose after some break free and wiggling....no sweat. Up front no problem to remove the rubber connectors on the lines. Then comes the straps. My J bolts were OK with a bit of lube....so it comes down to the removal on a jack. I had drained mine as far as it would go and turns out there is still a gallon or two rolling around.....helpful. Then are the straps themselves. In my pea brain, I had looked here for notes, and thought that the Tee on the straps would just move up and then thru the frame, but no....they dont work that way. The Tee on the strap has to be turned 45 degrees and will then slide out....not just up and out. So, I used a board on the jack that captured the straps on the bottom, so had to lift and move the straps to the side, then over top of the tank. With both on top after you have moved the tank half way down, you can then twist them the quater turn to get them out of the frame. So, my thought is to use a board that fits between the straps so you can maneuver them while the tank is on the jack. They will easily move outward, and you can get them on top of the tank and all will be well. This will be my replace technique. Place tank under car, raise a bit then wiggle the straps back thru the rear frame. Then move them outward and below the tank and finish the hoist. I will also use a rag in the rear fill hole, with string to pull it out after in place, to keep the crap out. Just some notes for the next guy, since I could find none. Mine is Sport Fury with fill tube thru the rear frame and under the license plate.

A lot of overthinking going on there.

Just put the straps back in the notches and let them hang. Slide the tank under the car back into position, lift it into place and hook the rear of the straps and tighten.

Or, use a human Jack like I did.

IMG_8985.jpeg

Seriously, if you lift the car high enough, the straps hang down where you can slide the tank in. It’s the attachment of the J hooks the become tricky, so holding it in place is key.

Back