Incorret Idler Arm?

SF-66TC

Reaction score
I needed an "Idler Arm" for my 66TC and ordered a MOOG from RockAuto, however it does NOT look nor fit the same as my OEM. For one, the MOOG Box came with nothing other than the Idler Arm itself with no other attachment pieces. It also appears to be a bit "shorter" in length and definitely shorter in height where it mounts between the two brackets.

From the pic on RockAuto's site the MOOG is obviously a design change. Although the part should have come with two washers (to somewhat make up the height difference) I still have about 1/4" of space between the brackets.

I do see on "RAREPARTS.COM" that their replacement idler looks more similar to the OEM, but without the rubber boot. I called to inquire and they indicated that what is pictured on their site is what they stock. They do no mfg the idler themselves, but get them from McQuay Norris.

The MOOG from RA is $33.79 + $5.57 shipping = $39.36 whereas the McQuay is nearly 3X the price at $80.64 + $12.25 shipping = $92.89

Has anyone replaced their C-Body Idler with the K-7014 as shown and not had any issues with fitment?

Below are photos of;

1. What RockAuto is selling - MOOG K-7014
2. My Original - notice the fitment
3. Arm length difference
4. Height & Bushing style difference
5. McQuay idler from Rareparts.com

SUGGESTIONS, COMMENTS?

1. Photo from RockAuto 2. Original Installed - Notice Bushing Style

K7014_ANG.jpgidler end.jpg

3. Slight Difference in Length 4. Difference in Height - Bushing Style Difference

compare idler.jpgcompare idler2.jpg

5. McQuay Norris Brand from Rareparts.com

McQuay1.jpgMcQuay2.jpg

K7014_ANG.jpg

idler end.jpg

compare idler.jpg

compare idler2.jpg

McQuay1.jpg

McQuay2.jpg

Last edited:
I used that same idler arm and it worked fine with me and came with all the hardware I needed I am thinking you just got the wrong part maybe.

I used that same idler arm and it worked fine with me and came with all the hardware I needed I am thinking you just got the wrong part maybe.

Exactly the same experience I had when I did my suspension last year. I couldn't get a correct pitman arm, the idler arm worked fine.

67-fury & LocuMob, are you guys saying you got the same idler I got as the one pictured from RockAuto (MOOG)?

Did your original idler look like the MOOG replacement or like my OEM?

If your OEM looked like my OEM and you replaced it with the re-designed MOOG (same as photo), then you're both saying the MOOG worked fine using the supplied two washers?

Sorry, I need more clarification before I either re-order from RockAuto or bite the bullet and pay 3x at Rareparts.com...

Thanks -

Last edited:
67-fury & LocuMob, are you guys saying you got the same idler I got as the one pictured from RockAuto (MOOG)?

Did your original idler look like the MOOG replacement or like my OEM?

If your OEM looked like my OEM and the you did replace it with a MOOG (same as photo), you're both saying the MOOG worked fine using the supplied two washers?

Sorry, I need more clarification before I either re-order from RockAuto or bite the bullet and pay 3x at Rareparts.com...

Thanks -
Well I got mine from summit racing that shouldn't make a difference as they are the same piece but the MOOG Idler arm looked a little different then stock but worked great I wouldn't pay 3x times the price for one just send it back or call customer service here is the link to the one from summit.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mog-k7014/applications

I bought a Moog idler arm through Advanced Auto Parts a couple of years ago for my 70 Newport, and it was an exact match to the OEM. I also think it may have been mispackaged, and would have them check with another one.

I got mine through rockauto. Ordered bothered the idler and pitman at the same time. The idler was correct in the holes lined up and it fit fine. The grease zert is in a crappy position (for me at least) it hit my header. The pitman was listed as correct for the year but was way shorter, like an inch or more.

Your Moog idler arm should have come with a hardware package. I'd call Rockautos customer service number, or do a return on their website to get another one. I recently got a tie rod end from them that had been installed, and was missing the hardware, they just sent me another one. No problem. Also you might try to find another source for that McQuay-Norris idler arm, Rareparts is always expensive. Auto Zone used to carry McQuay-Norris several years ago, I don't know if they still do.

i had to keep replacing mine every 3 months on my 68 imperial from napa and i found out they were giving me one for a 68 new yorker. ended up buying it from mopar for2 bills. this was back in the 80s when that was big money but all the parts books had it listed wrong. check the P.S.T. website they are right on with there parts and are cheap .

Ordered the MOOG K7014 from Amazon instead of trying RockAuto again. Part arrived with 2-day Prime and came sealed and complete unlike the unsealed and incomplete one I got from RA. The photo below shows how it's suppose to arrive (including install instructions). The contents matches the RA photo. Now I can finally complete the installation this weekend WOOHOO!

2015-06-04 17_opt.jpg

2015-06-04 17_opt.jpg

Last edited:
Back