Install new rim blow horn switch ´71 T&C

ThisAwesomeCOLA

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello all, as I am proceeding in making my T&C road legal, I am installing a new rim blow switch on the inside of my Tilt & Telescope wheel as the old one was missing.
It was not so obvious to me how this should be installed, I tried to check the chassis service manual, not finding much of help.
Could someone offer some guidance on this?
Picture of the switch and steering wheel attached, the two wire you see in the wheel are just laying loose.

51882E79-F6CF-4C96-9FB5-CA554CFEEB23_1_105_c.jpeg
B409DCA8-98EA-470F-BFEA-99653030BEA1_1_105_c.jpeg

Interesting I found no mention of it in the body service manual either. There was probably a TSB of sorts on the subject, but I can't find.

I didn't know replacements were available. That's great! I've always just installed a doorbell on the dash, which is a hack repair, but works.

It should just be a matter of figuring out the fitment of the connections on the end of the switch in relation to the steering wheel. It looks like they're perpendicular to the strip? Once that's determined, by the looks of it you only have two options, connect the wires, and honk away! Assuming your relay is good. I'd check the switch with a multimeter too, just to know.

Well, back when I bought my '70 DH43N back in 1975, it had the tilt column and rim blow wheel. The rim blow switch was rock hard at that time, just 5 years old. Whereas similar Ford rim blows were soft and squishy.

I asked the local Chrysler service manager about getting it replaced. He kind of shook his head like he had been there before, without good results. BUT they had done a few anyway.

On my car, when I removed the horn relay, it was crispy crittered inside. I got a new one to repkace it. Horn switch MIGHT work, BUT would consistently short out whenever the temps inside of the car got past 80 degrees F. Which explained the condition of the prior horn relay. Only way to ge the horn to stop operating was to remove the horn relay. Otherwise, I figured I could remove the cap on the relay and operate the horn with my left foot, if needed.

I ended up getting a new rim blow wheel assy from Chrysler, while they were still available. It got installed a few years ago, but with age, the switch is hard. My longer-term plan is to replace the rim blow wheel with a Tuff wheel or similar, which is NOT rim blow, if possible.

As to replacing the switch, the first thing to do is to remove the old switch from the groove it fits into in the steering wheel. I suspect this would be problematic, all things considered. Once that is done, then (as the service manager said), you make up some soapy water to lube the items with and then start to feed the new switch into the groove, working slowly until it is all the way installed. Then install the wiring and that should do it . . . in a perfect world.

Not sure if some silicone spray lube might be a better choice than soapy water? Do NOT want to damage the switch during installation, obviously!

Back then, one of my first possibilities for a steering wheel replacement was the Formal tilt wheel. Not sure if the center spline size or other things would work on the '70 steering column, though. Or if a '69 tilt wheel would work on the '70 tilt column, either?

To me, the idea of a rim blow steering wheel was neat at the time, but it only lasted about three model years, anywhere. Chrysler seemed to force it on customers who wanted the luxury and/or utility of a tilt or tilt/telescope steering column. Which alluded to the luxury of that type of steering wheel. As customers pounded the center pad of the steering wheel trying to get the horn to work.

Just my thoughts and experiences. Good luck.
CBODY67

Below is an on-line post regarding installation of the circumferential rubber covered part of the switch that should help guide installation of the switch into the wheel itself. There are two wires, one at each end of that switch - one that uses a phillips short screw to install the ground lead near the center of the wheel and the other lead is the positive end that has its own connector to a tab near the center of the wheel and are
both part of a white plastic tab as shown below. I took the steering cover off the center of one of my rim blow wheels to show you just how those switch wire ends connect to the wheel and it should be self-explanatory as shown below.

Here is the switch installation post regarding the switch mounting on the inside of the steering wheel as the first step: https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/c30e9cd2-2c0d-4f03-8af3-aa0349b41b92/RIMBLOW SWITCH INSTALLATION PROCEDURE.pdf

One just needs to be slow and careful regarding the rubber portion of the installation but it can be done since I have done a couple myself.

Rim Blow Wheel Connections 2.jpg

Last edited:
Back