Instrument cluster rehab....

Got her out for a test drive this morning before it gets to hot. Speedo working well. About 12% off compared to the iPhone app, but I can live with that.

The gas gauge does move, but only very slowly and only up to the 1/4 tank line before moving back down past Empty.

going to take her back out after dusk to see the panel glow.

thank you for all the guidance and encouragement on this project (especially @cbarge ). I learned a lot and gained some electrical system confidence along the way.
6258D000-1D3D-4511-BCF2-87DA37D1ABF3.jpeg

Got her out for a test drive this morning before it gets to hot. Speedo working well. About 12% off compared to the iPhone app, but I can live with that.

The gas gauge does move, but only very slowly and only up to the 1/4 tank line before moving back down past Empty.

thank you for all the guidance and encouragement on this project (especially @cbarge ). I learned a lot and gained some electrical system confidence along the way. View attachment 392001
Congratulations!

I am ignorant of the Mopars, but Fords have a series of speedometer drive gears that were used (for various rear end ratios - I used them for that and in changing to 225-60-15 tires). I bought several of the drive gears and did mile marker tests to get the speedometer on my Mustang to within 2.5% (it reads high).

thank you for all the guidance and encouragement on this project (especially @cbarge ). I learned a lot and gained some electrical system confidence along the way. View attachment 392001

Man that’s a beauty

Congratulations!

I am ignorant of the Mopars, but Fords have a series of speedometer drive gears that were used (for various rear end ratios - I used them for that and in changing to 225-60-15 tires). I bought several of the drive gears and did mile marker tests to get the speedometer on my Mustang to within 2.5% (it reads high).

mopars have diff gears for diff rears

The fender tag will have a number under the AX prefix.
1 is 2.76
2 is 2.94
4 is 3.23.
There should be a tag attached to one of the nuts on thw rear diff with gear ratio on it toi.

Took the car out for an evening drive with my 14 year old daughter tonight (she’s an old soul and love these old cars). This picture of the panel is way better than the one I posted the other day.
0BB62744-A5AA-4B26-8F31-42F43E8B6D88.jpeg

I have never seen the panel lit up in the 20+ years I have had the car. I am one happy dude!

The fender tag will have a number under the AX prefix.
1 is 2.76
2 is 2.94
4 is 3.23.
There should be a tag attached to one of the nuts on thw rear diff with gear ratio on it toi.

65894496-E78E-4994-9C65-C5288BFD5264.jpeg

Looks like I’ve got a 2.76 rear diff. Tires are at about 28” which puts me at 26 teeth.

If you can zoom in on this pic from the underside of my trans, it looks like the gears are in the 26-31 position (6 o’clock position).

7785FADF-B7CB-400A-9B68-2B08011BDD35.jpeg

Switching gears (pun intended), anyone here have experience with the solid state voltage limiter on the back of the panel? I got mine from Vans Auto... beginning to wonder it by chance that could be the source of the fuel gauge issue?? There is a tiny little Phillips screw on the back. After reading the post on the Meter Match, I am begging to wonder if that is an adjustment screw of some type (not that I want to pull the panel apart again to get to it).

5A5D475A-65D4-46C5-9875-D1FF36387126.jpeg

Don't mess with that tiny screw--there is no need.
Everything inside is solid state and as far as I know no adjustments.

Switching gears (pun intended), anyone here have experience with the solid state voltage limiter on the back of the panel? I got mine from Vans Auto... beginning to wonder it by chance that could be the source of the fuel gauge issue?? There is a tiny little Phillips screw on the back. After reading the post on the Meter Match, I am begging to wonder if that is an adjustment screw of some type (not that I want to pull the panel apart again to get to it).

View attachment 392318

From the looks of the other one, I would say no. The other one has a screw too, but it’s to hold the connector. Wonder it they used a different connector that didn’t need the screw, but still had the same cover with the hole?

I think your right. It’s probably the sender in the tank, or the wire between the tank and the gauge, or the gauge, or the voltage limiter, or the wiring harness, or a loose ground, or ....

I will just go with my old method. Fill the tank often and keep track of my miles driven. :)

Back