Insurance coverage

jake

Reaction score
I know this has been talked about before but I am still not sure what I should do. I have coverage with hagerty for what I have into my car plus a little more, but in no way would this cover me if I get in an accident and it needs body panels, paint etc.. I consider my car priceless to me with memories, blood, sweat, and tears. Problem that I am going over and over in my head is, if damage, totaled, I more then likely will not find another one even close to what I have. How do I go about insuring that? Only so many 64 dodge custom 880, 2 door hard tops out there.
lA0_H7NeT4hJMdmXUX7rwjru7QBtNfTFvYVaLS7S5wCvE_rIpbHmc6rln8fNs1NBZb2we3sIWSZVYhT53sA=w892-h669-no.jpg

It's pretty simple, raise the coverage amount with Hagerty. They are pretty easy to work with.

You won't get "sentimental" value, but you can probably get a good valuation without issues.

Had the same issues with my "Doba. I have American Modern and when I went with them they said the car was automatically covered for purchase price but if I wanted more coverage I would need an appraisal. So, finally got off my *** to shop around. Hagerty and Grundy would have nearly doubled my coverage with no issues. Even with what I want to insure it for, it probably could never be replaced because of its' rarity. Called American Modern and spoke with a nice young lady who said she never heard of needing an appraisal. Went into the system and the most they would do was about $2000 over what I already had. Mentioned the other companies and what they would insure it for and she said "hold on, let me call the underwriters". Less than 2 minutes later had the coverage I wanted and only a $40 increase for double the amount!! They were half and then some cheaper than Hagerty or Grundy.

Had the same issues with my "Doba. I have American Modern and when I went with them they said the car was automatically covered for purchase price but if I wanted more coverage I would need an appraisal. So, finally got off my *** to shop around. Hagerty and Grundy would have nearly doubled my coverage with no issues. Even with what I want to insure it for, it probably could never be replaced because of its' rarity. Called American Modern and spoke with a nice young lady who said she never heard of needing an appraisal. Went into the system and the most they would do was about $2000 over what I already had. Mentioned the other companies and what they would insure it for and she said "hold on, let me call the underwriters". Less than 2 minutes later had the coverage I wanted and only a $40 increase for double the amount!! They were half and then some cheaper than Hagerty or Grundy.
Any deductible, mileage limitations? I’d sure like to know if you’re getting apples to apples quotes from those 3 carriers.

Hagerty doesnt have any mileage limits but IIRC Grundy does. I don’t recall how many.

Hagerty is pretty nice to work with and very friendly. A lot of the time they completely understand that your car is priceless to you. And while they may not insure a $10,000 car for $50,000. They sure will do their best. I purchased my New Yorker for $3,500 and I am insured for $9,000 no appraisal. No questions ask. If I needed to raise it I’m sure I could.

I hate to just jump on the hagerty band wagon - cause everyone says their the “best”. But in my experiences - they have always treated me right and fairly. Super friendly customer service. Easy to get in contact with. I forget what insurer it is - but one of them don’t even have a phone number. The only way to contact them is email. What kind of crap is that?

I’m wth Hagerty too and have no complaints!:thumbsup:

Hagerty here too. I set the value on my cars. They also allowed me pre-restoration coverage on my projects and adjust as I move forward....

Any deductible, mileage limitations? I’d sure like to know if you’re getting apples to apples quotes from those 3 carriers.

No deductibles,spare parts coverage, and $200 tow allowance per instance. I do have a mileage limitation, it is 1000 per year. Way more than I need as I am trying to keep the miles low anyway. So, it works for me.

I've found the mainstream insurers like AAA, Allstate etc will want an appraisal. They don't seem to know the collector/historic car market and really aren't interested in it. They quoted me rather high rates even with Historical plates and limited miles. Went with Hagerty. No mileage or usage limitations.

American Modern here for years. Good people to work with, good rates, agreed value is pretty liberal and they pay prompt when a claim is incurred.

Hagerty for me also. When I put my Omni Glhs on the road my FuryIII was already with them. I told them I couldn't find the 86 Omni Glhs on their website . They we're not familiar with it and asked
I sent them many pics and Shelby documentation pics etc. They asked many questions. In the end I was surprised the Omni was valued more than the 69 Fury III. Not by a whole lot though. I thought it interesting that I most likely was the first to insure such a car with them.

Last year with Hagerty was my second year of my Fury being insured by them. My windshield got hit with a stone and cracked. I called them and had the windshield replaced. No problem. I felt guilty because at that time the cost of the windshield was alot more than I had paid in premiums for those 2 years. Even at 3 years now the premiums for the Fury I don't think would cover the windshield cost and installation.
Great company and I will stay with them for the Long haul.

A few years back, I was driving my R/T to my office, and stopped at Home Depot for something I needed. Came out got in the car and drove to the office.
When I got out of the car, I noticed the passenger side quarter was hit, and it looked like it was done by a trailer, possibly by a landscaper trailer that are in the Home Depot lot often.
Was I pissed!
I called Am Mod and they said to get pics and email it to them.
Took to a friend of mines body shop, took pic and sent email with his estimate.
They agreed to the price over the phone, sight unseen by an adjuster, so I left the car at the shop, and had it fixed, correctly.
Can't say that is how it always is with Am Mod, but I felt they treated me as I would have expected, and stayed a loyal customer ever since.

A minor poin t is Grundy, and one other require a daily driver to be x number of years maximum.Hagerty has a daily driver requirement as well, my 96 Dakota only qualified with them. My 69 Plymouth, and 13' Challenger are insured for less with an agreed value for each, than State Farm would give for just the Challenger.

Back