Purchase a NEW vehicle in New York State from out of State?

shooter65

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm supposed to go to a dealership in NY to purchase a NEW Jeep. The salesman emailed me yesterday and asked if I could send him the insurance card for the Jeep as NY requires the vehicle to be insured before purchase.

I think he's a dumbass and he's looking at the Registration Laws in NY that say you can't register a vehicle without insurance. I'm not registering it in NY, I'm registering it in PA. I've bought several new vehicles in PA and I NEVER have insurance before purchase, I'm fully covered by my policy on any vehicle I drive. After I purchase I call and have the vehicle added to my policy.

Any recommendations on what I can tell the dumbass salesman? We're suppose to pick the vehicle up on Saturday the 1st, but he's trying to show proof of purchase by June 30th to avoid the inventory tax for July.

I believe I've answered my question. It looks like NY will ding me $12.50 for an "interstate In-Transit Vehicle Permit (Temporary Registration). Cheap *** bastards.

The other reason the dealership wants POI is in case the car gets totaled rolling off the lot and there is some snafu with the funds.

I purchase all my Vehicle from Reedman Toll in Langhorne. Every time they required me to provide insurance card for the car.

Buying by July 1st is just to make sure he gets his commission.

The interstate permit sounds like the way to go, but just remember that the DMV offices aren't open on Saturday. The dealer should be able to handle that, but you will need proof of insurance to get the permit.

To clarify, In Pennsylvania, where the vehicle will be registered, insurance is issue by Policy, not vehicle. I have an active policy but I can't add the new vehicle till I have proof of ownership. PA looks at it differently then NY, they're trying to discourage insurance fraud..I guess. If you have an active policy in PA, your covered for any vehicle you drive at the same coverage as the policy coverage.

It looks like I've got it straightened out now. I've given the salesman my insurance agents contact info, the links to the relevant info on the NY DMV and PA DMV and a dealership contact info for a dealer in Jamestown NY who I'm sure has sold to several PA residents and should be able to help him navigate the sale.

I've never had to work so hard to purchase a new vehicle. My local dealer didn't do **** and this dealer doesn't know **** about selling to an out of state purchaser. Every state has there own policy on insurance and registration, most dealers are familiar with surrounding states processes, lucky me, I found the vehicle we want a a dealer that doesn't. :BangHead:

To clarify, In Pennsylvania, where the vehicle will be registered, insurance is issue by Policy, not vehicle. I have an active policy but I can't add the new vehicle till I have proof of ownership. PA looks at it differently then NY, they're trying to discourage insurance fraud..I guess. If you have an active policy in PA, your covered for any vehicle you drive at the same coverage as the policy coverage.
I've run into that buying vehicles in PA. That doesn't fly in NYS and it's hard to get people to accept that. One time, I ended up in an AAA office where I could get a PA temp registration to get the car home and they just wanted a proof of insurance from the other car we were driving.

The NYS system is OK once you know what needs to be done. When insurance companies started using email, so you could get the insurance cards without that stop to their office or having it mailed, it became a lot easier. The trip to the DMV is still painful and not fun, last time the computer crashed and I had to go back.

Why did you choose to buy out of state ? Price or availability?

The only one within 500 miles. Nothing matching the options we were looking for in PA.

Dealers can trade vehicles with other dealers assuming they arent dousche bags that have burned bridges with all the other dealers . And they have sources for transportation way cheaper than you can .

Dealers can trade vehicles with other dealers assuming they arent dousche bags that have burned bridges with all the other dealers . And they have sources for transportation way cheaper than you can .
The only problem with that is if dealer A doesn't have anything in stock that that dealer B wants to replace the unit he is losing. This especially true with something in high demand. When I bought my truck other dealers didn't want to give up one of their GT models for anything less.

That was the path we started down and it cost us a couple vehicles because my local dealer wasn't motivated to do dealer trades beyond 100 miles, realistically more like 50 miles and he drug is feet. I've bought my last 4 new vehicles from him but NEVER again. He just lost our business.

I agree … too lazy to get you what you want . May not have been the salesman but rather the mgr .

Jeep at hotel pickup.jpeg

Back